Model Cars Magazine Forum

# 35 Foldger's Decaf. Monte Carlo

dencon

This was a model I built in the late 80's. It is just a curbside. It was testors paints and cleared with Future (At that time Yuk!) After a few years of sitting on the shelf, the Future clear dulled away and the model went into dilapidation. after all of that and 2 moves across the counter and several small moves. The model ended up with the windows all knocked out of it and the nose knocked off. Maybe a couple of the tires. It sat for a few years at in my model car junk yard.

I always liked that car and I wanted to build another one. Looking into getting a new set of 35s. I pulled out the model to find that the color and decals did not have any damaging scratches. I had all of the glass and it was fixable. I even had the missing wheels and tires. So I figured that a resurrection of this model was in order. A couple of days of polishing the glass, reglue a few parts, putting the tires back on, a few little suspension tweaks. Then last a new clear coat and buff and wax. Bob's your uncle! I have a nice NASCAR model in my case in my living room. Because of this. I am starting to bring back many of my 80s NASCAR build I did in 89 and 90 (I built a ton back then) Most of them are in the junk yard. I did also do the same with my Uno Buick. Never give up on your old builds.

P3300004-1.jpg

P3300005.jpg

Nice save! Looks good Matt! That is one on my to do list! I have the kit (was going to be a Levi Garrett car but the white paint kept turning pink!laugh.gif ) and have the 35 decals from the 25/35 Folgers decal set Mike sells!cool.gif

Good to see you getting a little bench time!wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Nice car thats not done often and nice save! I do have a lot of old Nascar kits to save but I do not know how to save the windows. My hat is off to you!

It is very easy to do. You just wet sand them the same way you do with the polishing cloths on the paint. you even use a swurle remover and wax. You can make some of the rough looking kit glass look new that way.

Thanks for your thumbs up.

Matt

This one looks cool! I'm not a great fan of those Nascars with they drive today, but these bit older ones are looking good to me... This one has very good paintjob and those decals are fitting very nicely to the body shapes. I have to build todays Nascar some day...

• 3 months later...