Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda CRX (Update 9-18-06)

Wildrice

I started this one on vacation. Would have had it all done but the body if it hadn't been for the kit exhaust. Wasn't happy with the way it fit so I fabbed my own from plastic tube.

Starting point

CRX003.jpg

CRX002.jpg

Chassis with some of the brake lines run.

CRX002a.jpg

My custom exhaust

CRX1001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on the CRX.

Chassis is complete except brakes and wheels.

CRX3001.jpg

Got the two tone paint on & black trim around window.

CRX3003.jpg

Don't laugh at the next pics. First real attempt at BMF. Did the backdrop for tail lights and parking lights. BMF'd the emblems and colored the raised area with a red sharpie. Not the best but it's all new to me.

CRX3004.jpg

CRX3005.jpg

Nice work, Bobby. I've built a couple of those CRX's over the years, and it's one of my favorite kits.

Don't beat yourself up too badly over the foil either; Rest assured I've seen much worse 'first tries'(including my own). The first time I tried BMF, I was very discouraged....I didn't even attempt to use it again for several years. All I can say is: practice, practice, practice. 8)

Bobby,

That is an interesting model. The colors look good on that car. That car was very very popular here back in the day. Unfortunately, many of them ended up underneath trucks or wrapping poles :cry:

Here is another suggestion: Instead of painting the raised areas of the foil, try an acrylic paint wash. Acrylic because it is simple to clean up and try again. Basically, you apply the BMF and trim as close as possible. Then you put a small dab of paint (as close to the body color as possible) and then with the brush, you put a drop of water. What you are doing to making the paint very very thin, and it will flow to the recessed area and leave the raised areas chrome. Let it dry overnight and repeat if needed. You can also carefully wipe the raised area with a cotton swab to make the foil shiny.

This is simpler that it sounds and the advantage of acrylics is that you can do it a gazillion times if necessary. I hope this helps.

Thanks,