Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Econoline Dually Van plus "Truckin" van NEW pics

sorry no new pics yet hope to have em soon! time is drawing closer for baby girl 2 to getting here (october)

things have been busy! relocated the bench, got all hobby paints and supplies detailing items organized and cleaned up most importantly all my kits are together now!! not half home half at storage its a daunting amount to look at!!

update on the vans the orange van is ready for clearcote the "truckin" decals have successfully been applied without too many problems as old as they were...... i painted the fender flares black..... and am now trying to figure out hinge methods and fabricating an interior with roll cage!! hope to get pics up soon

computer has been stupid lately too..... I'm a slacker!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ok so disaster struck on this "Dually" van project......

I was not able to fully get off all the paint from the glue bomb "offroad" van
and my subsequent paintjobs after the multiple strip baths did not seem to turn out......

Finally i got a thick layer of the one cote laquer "Root Beer" brown down and it covereed mostly all imperfections except the roof.
Sooooo I painted the roof a real thick cote of white it looked ok <_<

my wife one night was nagging me about making too much noise I could not sleep so i was "tinkering" as i call it sitting at the bench, she was sleeping (or trying to)
so i got mad at her for getting mad at me and i stomped my van body to oblivion!!
(at least 10 peices or more)

I did glue humpty dumpty back together lol ( I am now planning on using part of that van and whats left of another body to make a trailer of somesort and extend another exonoline van

But heres what i learned as i got another fresh body that i mounted on my fender flares to and i continue on

the sliding door frame is "open" and already cut out for the mpc stunt and offroad vans
I learned one must re enforce the bottom of the door sill so as to preven any breakage

for this task i used the edge of a old wooden ruler (brass) perhaps not sure the material but its metal and its sturdy enough to stiffen up the bottom plate like i want, plus it will also act as a stop so my side swing doors won't try to close too far heres pics

100_7225_zps81450c04.jpg
humpty dumpty glued mostly all back together
100_7224_zps919669be.jpg

100_7226_zps5beb14cd.jpg

100_7228_zps287311e0.jpg
flares top veiw
will need to make a new styrene connector pc to blend the flares to the rear of the body (will take pics when i do this)
i need to putty one flare as well that got cracked from the "smash" still useable tho thank goodness
100_7227_zpsb64a5a35.jpg
side veiw that shows added re enforcement pc from old ruler

more to come.......

stay glued HA HA HA :D tried to make a funny lol

A few ideas... The fender flares could be sectioned in the middle to take a bit of length out to allow for the side door swing, and also for better alignment at the rear. Another idea would be to do a gullwing or hatch style side door that swings up so you wouldn't have fender clearance issues.

I'd also spend some time stripping the body better as all those marks could show later. Cool project, I was always a fan of the custom van era!

Thanks Tom The rear end will be adjusted just slightly toward the rear as if this were a more longer wheelbase Econoline "extended" van as far as the flares being too long...... they will end flush with the rear and i will have a styrene filler panel to smooth the appearence of the rear (pic of that coming) front of the passenger side flare was cut off slightly shorter in the front flat and flush to allow the opening of the aft side door without issue......

It would be interesting to see how you hinge the doors...I have been trying to figure out that for some time now and have it look right.

been wondering myself probly some type of paperclip hinges will let you know lol mite just be "tape" simulating straps similar to the "cloth" like one tha keep the newer jeep doors from flying open too far......

been wondering myself probly some type of paperclip hinges will let you know lol mite just be "tape" simulating straps similar to the "cloth" like one tha keep the newer jeep doors from flying open too far......

I am wanting to build a replica of my old mid 70s Dodge custom van I once owned...want the doors to open and close so the interior can be seen but still look right once the doors are closed...

Nice job so far on these!

So which do you prefer, the AMT Phantom Econoline or the MPC Econoline?

Are both bodies about the same?

i prefer the mpc van bodies even tho they seem a little thinner but the side door is already "open" removed and can be displayed door open or can be glued shut in my case i made "twin" doors for one can (dually) the amt bodies seem slightly thicker (which can be good) but i don't like the chassis setup as much on those either the mpc is set up for 4x4 can be made 2x as well if preferred that way

Dan, your posts are coming in double. When you post a new topic it appears to happen twice too!

i've been meaning to ask a moderator about this......

I know i only press the "Post" button once and yet it seems the messages get posted twice or multiple times.....

it may be a problem with this laptop puter?? please delete any duplicate posts i don't know why that happens sometimes i get a message telling me i cannot post again time is too soon like i pressed the "post " button a whole bunch of times But i don't......

weird :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...