Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Mustang 5.0 LX Drag Racer

bad0210

Are we really going to beat that dead horse again?? lol

Sure, why not? A reissue opens the door for that, esp. if they haven't corrected the body....though I expect Revell won't bother to fix the problem...needs a complete retool of the body to correct all the problems.

Looking at the box art, the front tires look too big and the slicks too narrow for a drag car...

Edited by Rob Hall

Sure, why not? A reissue opens the door for that, esp. if they haven't corrected the body..

No, we're not. We discussed it thoroughly in the original '90 Mustang LX topic, and nothing good can come from trying to stoke those flames again.

I'm digging' the cowl induction hood scoop. I wonder what kind of induction system it will have. Maybe a "sheet metal" manifold fed by a centrifugal supercharger or a pair of turbos.

They have to include some type of custom/aftermarket induction system, but I wouldn't expect it to be too radical.

Guess this will turn into another Mustang thread that will get cluttered with the whining and complaining that makes it pointless to read.

Without retooling the body, I don't see any point in them reissuing the kit, even with the new drag parts. Oh well..what will be, will be...

Edited by Rob Hall

Without retooling the body, I don't see any point in them reissuing the kit, even with the new drag parts. Oh well..what will be, will be...

But Rob, given the popularity of the Fox body Mustang, just adding some drag parts gets them more sales than if they left it as is. Whether they fix the body or not, there is a pool of buyers out there who will buy this kit by virtue of not having to search for the extra parts this kit will have.

Who knows, maybe Revell will surprise us with a fixed body, afterall they did fix the screwed up gas tank on the Nova kit!

Looks pretty cool to me. Maybe an American Iron road racer next? Too bad they don't do parts packs anymore, a sprue or two of stuff from the Ford Racing catolog would be sweet (to include the 2300k 5 lug conversion and some '95 cobra r wheels). With the right parts, it could be useful with their SN95 and New edge kits too.....

Regardless, good job Revell.

Cheers,

Greg

I don't think they were going to fix the roof on this thing simply because they made a drag version of it....yes? no? :blink:

Me either. I thought they would have fixed it because they actually cared about their paying customers and quality of their products. They clearly still do not.

But I could still hope.

Guess this will turn into another Mustang thread that will get cluttered with the whining and complaining that makes it pointless to read.

And I thought this was an open forum where people can freely express their views, especially in this section labelled as kit reviews. If revell only wants to see positive things said about their failed efforts, that's what their paid advertising in the magazine is for. If you don't like hearing the truth about some kits flaws, maybe it is pointless to you then and should continue to turn a blind eye.

I have seen in person the original release of the LX. The kit is actually very nice, accept for that one huge glaring error. I still hope this drag version will have great parts.

If you don't like hearing the truth about some kits flaws, maybe it is pointless to you then and should continue to turn a blind eye.

We've already heard the truth and seen the proof many times regarding the roof height in the previous '90 LX review topic, so there's nothing new to add. I'd rather see us all move on and discuss the new things about this version, good or bad.

We've already heard the truth and seen the proof many times regarding the roof height in the previous '90 LX review topic, so there's nothing new to add. I'd rather see us all move on and discuss the new things about this version, good or bad.

Unfortunately, that is one of the bad things, and people are going to want to mentioned it, has that issue been covered to death, you bet, but its that issue that is going to plague the kit forever , and its going to drawl attention , I think at this point, the only way to not have anyone mentioned it any more here is to just put a ban on talking about the kit .

Is it me, or does the tires have thread on them?

Sew what if they do. :P:D It looks like the front tires are the same as those found in the previous LX kit, but it's hard to make out the tread area on the rear tires. I can't see if they are drag radials with minimal tread grooves or totally smooth slicks, but I think Brad mentioned long ago they are supposed to be 10.5 drag radials.

Sew what if they do. :P:D It looks like the front tires are the same as those found in the previous LX kit, but it's hard to make out the tread area on the rear tires. I can't see if they are drag radials with minimal tread grooves or totally smooth slicks, but I think Brad mentioned long ago they are supposed to be 10.5 drag radials.

It really doenst matter to me, I dont know very much about drag racing, I did not know there were treaded drag tires

It really doenst matter to me, I dont know very much about drag racing, I did not know there were treaded drag tires

Usually completely slick tires aren't DOT road legal. In most states(?) So there are some mostly slick, rears with bare minimum tread.

Put another way, there won't be any fire to "stoke" if Revell doesn't set it in the first place. It's the misplaced angst and personal attacks arising from kit criticism that will always be the larger, more indefensible issue, no matter how anybody would try to redirect the focus.

All that aside, Casey appears on-point about the front tires, and the body shell appears just as you'd expect - the same - though warpaint seems to flatter it more.

Of course, we have no idea right now whether or not those carry-over tires are the ONLY fronts Revell's gonna include...

I wonder if this will be a one-version only kit or if the stock parts from the 1st issue will be present also. The treaded slicks would make sense for a street/strip style build rather than a trailered drag car, I think.

Edited by Rob Hall