Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ash Wiper Chimney Sweep van

I did not intend this to be a long project, but something to have going on while working on C-N-Things.

This is some of my first efforts at full detail weathering beyond simple additions using pigments primarily.

I am not at all fond of this kit, the Ertl 911 Emergency van. I had two kits both of which were missing the taillights. I did not do a folder to start with, so here are some shots of where I am at.

med_gallery_8985_885_989573.jpg

The decals were made for me about 10 years ago when I first decided to do this project as a simple curbside build, I wish I could recall who it was so I could thank them again.

med_gallery_8985_885_295929.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_1307421.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_1192197.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_246727.jpg

the exhaust was shot with Metalizer, the Rustall, then Valejjo pigments

med_gallery_8985_885_823805.jpg

Mark, I fell your pain with the taillights. I can BS and scratch build almost anything missing from a kit, but the taillights. Why does it always have to be the taillights!?! To complete my Cobra build, I'm going to use some clear plastic from an old fruit container out of my recycling box and paint it with Testors "Stoplight Red". Hopefully you can come up with somethig to substitue as well if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, I have really only done minor weathering before like Rustall but hope to learn a lot on this one. The side doors came like that. Here is the base kit I started with, a poor kit really. Very few redeeming qualities.

mMt6QWzftzbEnBUkWbYo6Ow.jpg

Steve, TWO of the same kits I had sealed, were missing the tail lights. I was going to carve them from a clear red toothbrush, but believe it or not, could not find one of those anymore! LOL They are all now those funny comfort grips etc. Ended up pouring in resin I tinted red into the sockets the lights go into, but I do not like the results, will have to keep trying.

Jeff, glad you do sir. I know it is immature, but I get a kick out of word play like that.

I love the name and if my chimney ever gets clogged I'll call them to wipe my ash lol :D I like the little details like the cassette tape on the dash. My son didn't know what one was and since I showed him he has been wearing my C.C.R. tape out. He

thinks it's the coolest thing since

sliced bread. Great job on what sounds like a poor quality model.

Edited by mnwildpunk

I love the name and if my chimney ever gets clogged I'll call them to wipe my ash lol :D I like the little details like the cassette tape on the dash. My son didn't know what one was and since I showed him he has been wearing my C.C.R. tape out. He

thinks it's the coolest thing since

sliced bread. Great job on what sounds like a poor quality model.

a few more details made it in. more pictures for the finished project by this weekend. Thanks for your input

Here's what I had to go thru to get the two doors on my build! Had to remove the heavy slid molding at the roof, add a door handle cut from another van body, add hinges cast from the from another body.

windowtrimDSC_7640.jpg

And, for your tail lights ... the spare body I used for my door has tail lights glued on. It was a built spare I got for parts. I'll be happy to send them to you .. just PM me your address. I have to work a little to get them unglued .. I'll cut the body up if I have to!

If Mike can't successfully remove those taillights in tact, I have a thought. If these have taillight panels similar to the AMT Dirty Donnie Chevy, there is an easy solution. Foil the indentions and use clear red on acetate or any other spare flat clear plastic.

Edited by Skydime

I was afraid of prying the tail light out as It could chip the side, so I just ground away from the back and they just popped out! :) As you can see, the fromt door handle was already cut out to mount in my daughter's van, so body was already shot.

taillightDSC_0842.jpg

taillightDSC_0843.jpg

The left one had a little primer over spray so It's soaking in the purple pond. Soon as I get you're addy they're off. And, I don't want anything, just remember when you can help someone else here. Someone just sent me the rear side lights for my van also ... it works. :)

Edited by Foxer

This is a cool project! The worst part about this kit is the incorrect grille that comes in it. It has the old single round headlights when it should have the quad rectangular headlights.

Here's what I had to go thru to get the two doors on my build! Had to remove the heavy slid molding at the roof, add a door handle cut from another van body, add hinges cast from the from another body.

windowtrimDSC_7640.jpg

And, for your tail lights ... the spare body I used for my door has tail lights glued on. It was a built spare I got for parts. I'll be happy to send them to you .. just PM me your address. I have to work a little to get them unglued .. I'll cut the body up if I have to!

I really like your build,thanks for the link.I like the effort you out into the replica aspects. Thanks also for the offer on the tail lights, but as this was intended to only be a curbside I just used some tinted resin. This was just supposed to give me something to finish withiut too much fuss. hope everyone enjoys looking

I was afraid of prying the tail light out as It could chip the side, so I just ground away from the back and they just popped out! :) As you can see, the fromt door handle was already cut out to mount in my daughter's van, so body was already shot.

taillightDSC_0842.jpg

taillightDSC_0843.jpg

The left one had a little primer over spray so It's soaking in the purple pond. Soon as I get you're addy they're off. And, I don't want anything, just remember when you can help someone else here. Someone just sent me the rear side lights for my van also ... it works. :)

cool, but with mine being the Dodge, not sure they would be convertible anyway. I will use that method for removal for a future reference tho!

Ash Wipers! Gotta love it. Now just imagine Sean Connery saying it. :lol:

Would be funny to hear it for sure. Hard not to try and imagine it now! LOL

If Mike can't successfully remove those taillights in tact, I have a thought. If these have taillight panels similar to the AMT Dirty Donnie Chevy, there is an easy solution. Foil the indentions and use clear red on acetate or any other spare flat clear plastic.

Ended up doing something similar. Foiled then flowed in tinted resin. Only, I forgot the back up lights.:-(

Heheh, very cool, Mark. I had a '76 Dodge van for several years (and it was my Dads before me, for ages), so I've got a soft spot for them. Sure wish they hadn't goobered up the tooling for this kit, though! I trashed two of the older tool bodies in an attempt to make mine early on in my return to modeling. It was a lwb with the extended rear, so I tried to stretch it to match. Can't find it now, so it must have been pretty bad. :P One of these days I'll take another stab at it. At least now I know how to do it with just one body. :D