Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/350 Tamiya USS Missouri, Aug, 1945. W.I.P. Thread

Just a small update to show that I am back on this monster... I won't bore you with details, let's just say that I'm feeling a bit better than I was...

Yes, it looks a litle rough but... It's just to the point of being roughed in. I'm having to shim, trim and fit and so far, I'm pleased with how things are going.

29o4meu.jpg

These are a few of the 5" gun houses... notice the .010 white styrene shims? I didn't do that with my first build and it showed...

16c195e.jpg

More later! Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

OK, update time! Some more progress has been made...

The first pic is an experiment using the GMM PE pieces for the 20mm guns.... there are several dozen of these little beasties to build, 5 pieces each...

ezpouu.jpg

In place...

33ufp1h.jpg

x7nrl.jpg

A little more progress made...

33z9yiu.jpg

I should be finishing this one up this month because the guy I'm building it for has another for me to start when this is done... a 1/200 Trumpeter USS Arizona with Wooden deck, brass gunbarrel and PE upgrades... Stay tuned for more!

Edited by Wagoneer81

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It lives!!! I am glad to say that I survived the winter... With my physical conditions and problems, winter is very hard on my body and now that spring has graced us with her presence, I feel like doing more than reading and sleeping... I'm just very thankful that the man I'm building this for is a very understanding individual...

I finished painting the hull, today. I used Floquil engine black and boxcar red, Testors MM dark sea blue and medium grey.

35k2v0i.jpg

5phl7d.jpg

Now, paint the screws bronze, touch up the deck, finish the superstructure, build something along the lines of 100+ anti-aircraft guns and finish this beast!

• 2 months later...

Well, after a year, it's getting close. The problem with the time it has taken to build this is that I only work on it when I feel good. As many know, I have several physical issues that affect my energy levels and time I can spend sitting in one spot.

We're getting close to being finished. What's left is to equip the radars, main deck railing, four quad-40's and the 20mm Oerlikon Suite. Most of this involves little, fiddly Photo-Etch parts so I've got to be in good form to successfully complete them. I'm building this for someone other than me so, getting it right and not messing it up is the main thing...

Final bits of railing...

34q7i9w.jpg

w6zeat.jpg

The little radars on the Mk37 gun director are less than 1/4"x3/8" and are made up of 11 pieces of brass and copper...

o57zf9.jpg

Turrets are finished, superstructure minus radars and small AA guns...

rm00o4.jpg

jihz0w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of display cabinet/cases and shelves, what is the total height of the Mighty Mo when completed?? With and without the stands I guess.

She's around 6 1/2" to the top of the mast, from the keel.

Without the stand, you can get away with no less than 7" of clearance. With the kit supplied stand, you'll need to add 2 1/2" to that.

• 1 month later...

Looking good.

Remember, in this scale, after shimming and what not, plain old white glue is your friend as a seam filler.

:blink:

G

That's the first time I've heard that, but I'm fairly new to ship modeling. Any tips or advice on using white glue as a filler? I've got a couple of projects in 1/350 and 1/700 that it might work well on. Mostly submarines, but I have a pretty involved conversion to a Brazilian Niteroi class frigate in 1/700 that is going to involve a lot of filler.

That's the first time I've heard that, but I'm fairly new to ship modeling. Any tips or advice on using white glue as a filler? I've got a couple of projects in 1/350 and 1/700 that it might work well on. Mostly submarines, but I have a pretty involved conversion to a Brazilian Niteroi class frigate in 1/700 that is going to involve a lot of filler.

I've only used filler putty and just sanded it down to a smooth finish

• 10 months later...

I will post an update, soon, Gents. Within the week, The ship IS complete, I just finished the two float planes up a few days ago and mounted them on their catapults on Thursday.. I'm just waiting to give her an overall airbrushing of dull coat to even out some shiny areas and then I'll do the glamour shots. ;)

I am now taking care of my father who, back in January, was diagnosed with stage four, small cell cancer. It hasn't been an easy road and it seems to be getting rougher... This is one of the reasons that this beast was delayed. Life does have a way of going off the plotted course... I spent several months, very angry... Mad at the entire universe because of where life was taking us. I didn't even look at a piece of plastic... considered selling the entire stash. I mean, what was the point, anything outside of raw,basic survival was futile and pointless, right? Now, I've started wrapping my mind around the facts and accepting what life is handing me and have started to take comfort, again, in the old friend that model building always has been.

So, having said that.... I'll post a final update on this build, soon. Thanks!

post-11522-0-23870300-1408818292_thumb.j

Nice Build !

Me & the wife where able to take the tour of the Big Mo while we where in Hawaii in July and I must say the ship is amazing & we also visited the Arizona Memorial also which was very educating. There where also some other ships in port which was unusual & the tour guide was saying that they where having some kind of maneuvers & one of the ships that was there was the USS Regan Aircraft Carrier.