Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wood Grain Decals " Woody " specially

Okay, I just have to say it, and more explicitly than before. Does it bother anyone besides me that Alex's (Uschi's) avatar, web home page and packaging depict adolescent Nazi girls promoting Hitler Youth? I'm okay with swastikas and the like on WWII models because that's part of history, but this creeps me out since it's part of his public persona.

"Youth serves the Führer:"

reich2_zps6b95bdfb.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Ok guys, if you get upset because of a logo, so that is the wrong place to be for me then.

Just let me know.

Would you call Rick Lawler a communist because he uses contemporary elements of Russian 30´s propaganda in his artworks?

Are you able to interpret an artwork also based on the CONTEXT it has been used within, or is it just ok to take a piece of it and get mad about it?

Gentlemen, if that really is the spirit in these (actually really nice forums) I´l just take my things and hit the road.

I´m not willing to get involved in what ever kinda political discussion here, nor I´m going to justify myself.

Taste. Well, Ok. Thats a point I get.

But lemme tell you what, when I always would go upset because I see something on facebook (or TV) that I dont like, I really

would have a hard time, brothers.

So, if we are unluckily unable to talk about arts and scale modeling, I´ll hit the road.

Sorry guys.

Edited by Uschi van der Rosten

Ok guys, if you get upset because of a logo, so that is the wrong place to be for me then.

Just let me know.

I'm the only one making this statement. Your work is outstanding and I want to know more about your techniques and I hope you will stay. But I am saying that, in my opinion, your use of the materials I cited is in poor taste. Let others respond

I might add that you were correct to introduce yourself as a new member in the original post, and it makes no sense for that post to have been moved down here into a totally different subject, where your aftermarket parts were mentioned by someone else. Totally silly.

Edited by sjordan2

Good idea.

Maybe you can edit your post and replace that poster by a link to it. It really hurts my eyes and if I would like to appear on that context,

I would have left it as it is. Thank you and sorry for causing troubles here.

Meanwhile lets get back to the fun of it.

@sjordan2

Thanks for your question. Glad you dig it!

Well, that rooftop was actually just a 15mins affair. Its funny because people have often asked this and I was a bit astonished

because I´ve put some labour in other areas and that roof was just a rather quick job.

All I did was masking it off completely in order to avoid any possible overspray.

Then I used a dark gray and added some high-speed-pass-bursts by airbrush.

Thats where the streaky pattern comes from.

The second step was a classic drybrush with a rather bright grey.

I used oil colors for the drybrush for better control (in case I would have applyed too much)

@Jantrix

Well the large dark panels on the doors are decals while the brigh framework is hand painted.

At the time I did this I had no decals matching a bright wood (that has changed meanwhile), so

I did it the classic way: Bright yellow basecolor and bright brown oil colors.

Lemme organize my photoalbum and I share a SBS sequence, in case you are interested.

Thanks gentlemen! :-)

Cheers!

Way to go Skippy! Let's run them all off! Until you Googled the image in an attempt to upset the board, nobody else made that connection. When I saw the image, it registered nothing more sinister than Little Debbie. And I'm sure the originator just wanted the image of a smiling girl.

Little_Debbie_1c.jpg

I'd better let you go now, there's still thousands of people here on the board to chase away!

Way to go Skippy! Let's run them all off! Until you Googled the image in an attempt to upset the board, nobody else made that connection. When I saw the image, it registered nothing more sinister than Little Debbie. And I'm sure the originator just wanted the image of a smiling girl. And for the record, I'm German and it doesn't bother me one iota!

Little_Debbie_1c.jpg

I'd better let you go now, there's still thousands of people here on the board to chase away!

Way to go Skippy! Let's run them all off! Until you Googled the image in an attempt to upset the board, nobody else made that connection. When I saw the image, it registered nothing more sinister than Little Debbie. And I'm sure the originator just wanted the image of a smiling girl.

Little_Debbie_1c.jpg

Little_Debbie_1c.jpg

Thank you, Tommy. I had forgotten that Little Debbie was part of a fifth column that sought to attack our soft underbelly during WWII with her succulent snack cakes (probably using German recipes). She's so cute, like Shirley Temple, it was easy to be misled. I really needed your wise counsel.

But the point is not that I recognized what the Nazi elements were - and I don't give a rat's patootie whether you or anyone else made the connection or not, it was to identify them as classic Nazi propaganda that I knew from college courses in advertising and political science, and to wonder why they are the unfortunate core of Alex's graphics -- as a German, he certainly knows the context.

Edited by sjordan2

Because I was looking for something that looks like Debbie and has a direct correlation to scale-model-relevant subjects.

It should have a German touch since I come from Ger, that was also part of my thinking.

So I removed every nazi ###### from the artwork and brought it into a completely new picture.

Another point is that I do consider that lil gal as a tragic person. She really exitsted. I found the the original photo the artwork is based upon.

She´s a 10 year old gal, had no idea whats going on and all of the sudden she found herself as kind of a role-model, printed on a friggn poster.

That tells me that dictatorship is made by dictators, not by the average people.

Thats an important differentiation, since propaganda always tries to tell us that "the others" do that and that. That is simply not true

since the leaders of "the others" tell them people what to do. These people also have a tendency to "believe the hype", because they´re desinformed

and full of propaganda as well.

This mixture is what causes the drama in history and thats the set up for the next slaughterhouse scene.

Know I´m sayin?

Last but not least I do have a special sympathy for that gal since I also weared a uniform in my childhood. Born and raised in Eastern Germany

I had the displeasure to be member of the "Young Pioneers" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Th%C3%A4lmann_Pioneer_Organisation)

And I tell you what. I was looking with the same smile right outta my uniform and found it all to be exciting.

Guess for what purpose. You are right. For the purposes of a regime that tried tell me how I have to interpret the world.

Ok. That was my statement. Actually I said I´m not going to justify myself but well, here we are.

Does it make sense?

Because I was looking for something that looks like Debbie and has a direct correlation to scale-model-relevant subjects.

It should have a German touch since I come from Ger, that was also part of my thinking.

So I removed every nazi ###### from the artwork and brought it into a completely new picture.

Another point is that I do consider that lil gal as a tragic person. She really exitsted. I found the the original photo the artwork is based upon.

She´s a 10 year old gal, had no idea whats going on and all of the sudden she found herself as kind of a role-model, printed on a friggn poster.

That tells me that dictatorship is made by dictators, not by the average people.

Thats an important differentiation, since propaganda always tries to tell us that "the others" do that and that. That is simply not true

since the leaders of "the others" tell them people what to do. These people also have a tendency to "believe the hype", because they´re desinformed

and full of propaganda as well.

This mixture is what causes the drama in history and thats the set up for the next slaughterhouse scene.

Know I´m sayin?

Last but not least I do have a special sympathy for that gal since I also weared a uniform in my childhood. Born and raised in Eastern Germany

I had the displeasure to be member of the "Young Pioneers" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Th%C3%A4lmann_Pioneer_Organisation)

And I tell you what. I was looking with the same smile right outta my uniform and found it all to be exciting.

Guess for what purpose. You are right. For the purposes of a regime that tried tell me how I have to interpret the world.

Ok. That was my statement. Actually I said I´m not going to justify myself but well, here we are.

Does it make sense?

Yes, it makes sense, and it is a very eloquent explanation of your intent, which I now see in a totally different light. Welcome, hang around, and show us more of your work.

Edited by sjordan2

Alexander... don't worry about all of that. Welcome to the forum. Wilkommen.

That goes for me too.

Lemme organize my photoalbum and I share a SBS sequence, in case you are interested.

Please do. I have a few woody kits that I have been avoiding because I want to do an exceptional job on the wood areas, and any product that can help with that would be aces in my book.

Your woody model

Hi, I´m Alex from Uschi van der Rosten / Germany.

I gotta lil company runnin´, called Uschi van der Rosten.

www.uschivdr.com

I do produce woodgrain decals for aircrafts, cars and...actually everything.

Paint masks and special effect decals (graffiti) is also a field I work in.

I just thought ist a good idea to stop by and say hello. I´m looking for some

inspiration and would like to know more about car and truck modeling in general.

A while ago I made a test-piece for one of my products. It was really fun but

it´s not a "serious piece", its just a test.

I hope you like it nevertheless.

I´m looking forward to be in touch with you guys and have a look over your shoulders.

Here is that test piece I was talking about.

Thanks for your attention.

All the best

Alex

DSC05411-vi.jpg

DSC05413-vi.jpg

DSC05419-vi.jpg

DSC05404-vi.jpg

DSC05430Medium-vi.jpg

EXCELLENT model building!

@charlie8575, @all

Thanks for your friendly comments. I´ll just start shootn´straight and share a SBS sequence with you guys.

The product used is the WGW-1 Woody Woodgrain Decal. This product requires a glazing coat with brown

oil color to come to full effect. The result is a pleasing depth in optical appearance.

The desired color tone can be controled by the basecoat colors as well as the color of the oils.

Uschi is distributed in the US by "Last Cavalry".

http://shop.lastcavalry.com/search.php?search_query=uschi&x=0&y=0

Should be on stock.

Ok, lets kick some practical s**t.

DSC05192Large-vi.jpg

Fig.1) A bright tan basecoat has been applyed by airbrush. Preshading has been set.

The picture shows how to copy the shape of the panel onto masking tape, in order to put it

on the decal and cout it out.

DSC05193Large-vi.jpg

Fig.2) This is how a completed decal job could look like. Its now ready to be covered

with the aforementioned glaze of brown oil colors.

DSC05216Large-vi.jpg

Fig.3) The frames now have been painted with brown oil color mixed with a bit of light ochre.

Any mistakes can be fixed while working. Thats a good thing while working with oil colors.

DSC05223Large-vi.jpg

Fig.4) A close up to the framwork shows some fine lines, representing some woodgrain texture.

Thats the classic hand-painted way, as most of you already know. Its quite effective on bars

and that sort of shapes, but not very effective on squares. The decals help us out.

DSC05248Medium-vi.jpg

Fig.5) The decals have been covered with the aforementioned dark brown glaze and all that

has cured meanwhile. We now bring some another fellahs in the game, the so-called

clear acrylics. These colors seal the whole thing (getting it ready for an oil-color-pin-wash) and they

also create further effects, acting like a filter. The orange has been used on the panels and

the yellow has been used on the frames. A lil´ bit of overspray is not a big deal.

DSC05255Medium-vi.jpg

Fig.6) A close up shows the completed system. You probably note some dark shadows on the

frames. These shadows have been achieved with the clear orange. One could also use

"clear black" which is available as Tamiya´s "Smoke" and work very good as a postshading color.

DSC05367Medium-vi.jpg

Fig.7) Here we have the finished model with all details painted. The door handles have been

masked off and were painted with ALCLAD 2. The nails have been accentuated with a silver

hobby pencil (Gel pencil). After this a pin wash using black oil color also makes some detail pop.

The sequence is explained here one more time as part of the manual.

http://www.uschivdr.com/products/wgw-1-woody-special/

I was just testing if the stuff works right and if its easy to use, so this model wont get finished, even

if there is some prep for rust is visible. I just did it for training.

The car is painted following the concept of "zenithal light" ,so all the dark and bright spots

are not really random, they are there for purpose and painted that way.

Its a little bit of an artistic approach to the subject but it makes things more interesting, imho.

DSC05404-vi.jpg

Its the first car I have ever tried in my whole life, working with techniques from aircraft and AFV

modeling. All chrome has been painted with ALCLAD2 since the kit-chrome looks a bit odd.

It was really fun and I will give it a shot one fine day on a serious project. I´ve also purchased

a runabout on a trailer which will make a good scene, probably.

40ford_40garwood_petermorse-vi.jpg

Of course my mind is faster than my modeling so it gonna take a while until I start this.

I need a solution for the wipers, though. Is there any aftermarket PE available?

Anyone knows?

Thanks for watching! :-)

Best

LX

• 2 years later...