Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Williams Fw19 Villenueve's F1

ismaelg

DSCF1222-vi.jpg

OK, I know this kit has been out for years but it is rather unknown.

Gilles Villeneuve was a Canadian racer who was a Ferrari F1 driver in the late 70's and was killed in a racing accident in 1982. Jacques Villeneuve, his son, is a talented and popular race driver on his own right. He won the Indy 500 in 1995 and then moved to Formula 1. In 1997 he won the world's drivers championship in a Williams Renault FW19. This kit celebrates that championship.

Despite been released in a Revell-Monogram box, this is evidently a Revell Germany F1 kit. Rumor has it this kit was supposed to be a Canadian exclusive product, but you'll have no problem finding it out of Canada. The kit was supposed to be a one time only run of 75,000 units, and it includes a "certificate of authenticity" Mine says it is #49791 of 75000.

All part are molded in dark blue. Even the wheels. The only non-blue parts are the tiny little windshield and the stop light thing they use in bad weather. The simplified kit has low parts count and seems to assemble rather easily. I mocked up mine in just a few seconds. The proportions look good. The upper body is all one piece, so don't waste any effort on the engine as it will not be seen, unless you plan to make major surgery and separate the engine cover from the body. The way the kit is designed, you need to put the interior tub in place before gluing the top and bottom together, resulting in obvious seam lines. I did a workaround this problem by cutting the back of the tub, so the seat can be inserted from the back. (More on this later in the workbench sesion).

The decals are gorgeous and I hope they perform as good as they look. All the white in the car is in the decals sheet so you only need to paint the car in blue. The rest of the colors are decals. Since the primary sponsor of the car is a tobacco product the model represents the correct livery used in tobacco banned events, replacing the tobacco logo with question marks. The decals are probably the biggest challenge of the build.

The molded panel lines can use some deepening.

This looks like a fun kit that should go together easily. It does not lend itself to heavy superdetailing, but that is actually a good thing. You can build this as an exercise in the basics and end up with a nice looking Formula 1 model.

Special thanks to Ken Krawiec for getting me the model...

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...