Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 scratch deuce

Ognib

I like the throaty, subdued sound of big tube exhaust, but I don't want to go too big & unbalance the overall flow dynamics of the engine.

Using 1/4" for exhaust & tail pipes, which scales up to 2"...about right for the small displacement of the flathead.

My head scratch for today & maby tomorrow, as well...how to cleanly draw the end of the collector can down to hold the 1/4 exhaust tube...without destroying the nice crimp work around the header tubes.

exhaust28_zps5968fc72.jpg

exhaust29_zps2d8ef348.jpg

Edited by Ognib

A piece of 3/8 tubing slipped snugly inside the collector can.

I'm hiding the slight .016 step between the two with the bolt rings that allow the exhaust pipe to be moved to the side for open header times.

Chucked the 3/8 tube in my hand drill & rotated it on the running belt sander to be able to cut a clean cone taper down to the 1/4 exhaust pipe.

This is all just roughed in at this point...will probably shorten the can and the cone for a more compact look in this area.

The bolt ring needs to be shaped down, along with the block plate.

Couple of days of detail work here...still have to bend & build everything for the other side as well.

exhaust30_zps662ed87a.jpg

exhaust31_zpsa6f55e7a.jpg

exhaust32_zpsc9a5190c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys.

Like you Bill, with your 1:1 header project, I've been kinda sidetracked with other stuff for the last week.

And as I tell my wife when she mentions the size of my guitar collection, I don't have to feed or nurture any of this stuff & it all just waits patiently till I get back to it.

It's all ok, actually, as I've been scratching my brain as to how I'm going to approach the spindles & brakes for the project.

Having never built these parts before, I don't have any experience to draw from.

Not yet having lathe or mill, I can study the way some of these guys build their stuff, but for the most part, am unable to emulate their process.

So I have to be resourseful & figgure out another way to achieve a similarly believable result.

Edited by Ognib

Using an angle finder off of a vertical line on the spindle jig, I've determined that the top of the axle king pin boss is 9 deg down from the horizontal line.

The other side matches within 1/2 deg, so that'll simplify this process.

frame101_zps0b34d694.jpg

The top & bottom of this block on the spindle plate must carry this angle so the spindle king pin bosses will fit the angle on the top & bottom of the axle boss, when assembled.

frame102_zps6cc0377e.jpg

Also the face of the block must be cut to match the end of the axle boss.

When assembled, the spindle shaft needs to be on the horizontal line.

See if I can pull this off...

frame103_zpsed250af9.jpg

On-going project research.

Couple of vids about disc brakes on early ford axle.

He's an entertaining, chatty dude & his camera work is very good & clearly shows what everything looks like, perfect illustrations for what I'm building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3HWc1mYVzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDO_DI6XIE

Edited by Ognib

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Putting a couple of hours on it this a.m.

Piece of hard maple that dimensionally matches the axle boss...this is my bending fixture for the spindle bosses.

Tapered across the end of it to match the angle of the axle boss, 9deg down from horizontal, as posted above.

frame107_zps12eb4750.jpg

frame108_zps224461e6.jpg

The plastic pieces are the templates I'm building off of so want to verify that they fit the axle properly before proceeding.

Factoring in the taper of the spindle, nice match-up of the spindle to the horizontal line on the layout.

I think I can proceed.

frame109_zps6b2f8afa.jpg

frame110_zps67b9e679.jpg

You're doing fanastic on this. It certainly can be compared building a real car, just smaller and the material is different. The front end geometry, king pin angle, anti Ackerman steer, camber, caster, steering arm length, etc.; all that must be thought out as you are doing. It is really rewarding, isn't it? Can't wait to see more.

Thanks, Ken, really appreciate the comments.

It's very rewarding when I get something to the point where I'm happy with it.

The process of getting a part to that point is full of, "argh, how'm I gonna do this?"

This is a piece of 1/16 wrapped around the maple bending caul.

It was cut from a piece of extruded aluminum.

It doesn't want to bend in a compliant manner & I'm noticing what appear to be stress lines along the radius of both bends.

Need to find a softer alloy to work with.

frame112_zps98dd7276.jpg

Dimensionally, it's correct for fitting the axle boss & the 9deg angle on the face seems about right.

frame113_zps63257418.jpg

frame114_zps0d5a2939.jpg

Edited by Ognib