Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realistic tail lghts

I would avoid using both Testors Stop Light Red and Turn Signal Amber metallic paints. Have you ever seen a red or amber lens which was metallic?? I haven't. Tamiya's clear amber and red are better choices IMHO.

I would avoid using both Testors Stop Light Red and Turn Signal Amber metallic paints. Have you ever seen a red or amber lens which was metallic?? I haven't. Tamiya's clear amber and red are better choices IMHO.

Casey's right on this. Here's another option: Humbrol offers tinlets of clear enamel red #1321 & clear enamel orange #1322 that work well for this kind of thing. You can get them from redfroghobbies.com or your local HobbyTown.

Edited by Monty

Yes, outside of drilling/cutting the cast in place lens out and replacing

them with Clear parts you scratch build or resin cast.

Simulating the Translucent white lens is the hardest one to due when they are not cast in clear to start with.

Look how many kits have th White back up light cast with the clear red tail light lens.

A good cheap alternative in clear paints i've been using for years is the clear stains used in suncatcher kits. They dry thin and stay where you put them without running. And, if you have a little one around the house they get to make suncatchers with daddy so...bonus! ;)

I guess I should of made myself clearer on of the lights is a back-up lamp. How would I do those paint them white?

There are two good choices, for frosted lenses I use pearl white paint. For ones that appear clear I use aluminum paint. Both are better than bright white. Here's a sample with the backup lenses painted aluminum.

-Steve

Picture253-vi.jpg

I dunno if it would work here but, I often use red and orange Sharpies with the extra fine point to color in the reflectors or inside of the lenses, depending on what I am doing. The orange/amber isn't always correct but, it gets the effect that I want most of the time. Yellow sharpies are good for turning chrome into gold quickly and cheaply too.

Edited by Skydime

A simply solution would be testors window maker/glue. I use this to simulate glass gauge faces and it works pretty well id maybe try painting the a pearl/light mettaluc white then apply the window maker over the whole lamp assembly let try and see how that works. Iv done this on chrome plated headlights to add a bit of depth and relish to lenses. Sorry no pixs worth a shot tho!!

Looking at your picture, I would foil the light. Next color the red reflector as seen in sjordan's photo and let the red dry. Next, I would use the glue on the lens and distribute it using a toothpick. Let it dry. If you don't like the look, peel off the foil and your back where you started.

Seems to me that one of the most notable parts of each lens is the mesh pattern, which appears to be molded onto the kit lenses. This is the underside of the lens, which is flat on the outer side.

I'd experiment with painting the mesh in the color of the lens, then putting a flat piece of properly tinted clear plastic over the light.

The backup light might be foiled, then only the mesh painted white, and the clear plastic put on top of it.

I'd also experiment with making scratchbuilt lenses using finer mesh and, if that turns out well, shaving off the kit lenses. In fact, it looks like you could replace both light sections of the body with sheet styrene. They seem very flat.

OR

You could try making stickers/decals directly from photo reference like this when printed to size.

Picture9_zpsbb0678f9.png

Picture10_zpsb9cdfef8.png

Edited by sjordan2