Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Monogram Slingster Dragster

Casey

It's what's known as a portmanteau ... taking two words and combining them to create one new one, with the words in this case being "slingshot" and "sizzler." B)

But yeah, I think the name is kind of goofy, too ...

They could call it "Roger", and I'll still buy it. It's gonna be an awesome kit!

S'suuuse me, :wacko: I didn't pay enough attention to the body styles in the Galaxie kits, I just remembered seeing the Sizzler name, & remembered the box form my mis-spent youth. But now that I rack my "Swiss Cheese Brain" I remembered having both the Sizzler & Long John kits, & it was the Long John that had no chrome just the silver molded plastic, not even a chassis, the valve covers & such just plugged into the body.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. I've read the whole thread on this one, and I'm afraid I have to be the one dissenting voice among all the excitement. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as the next guy about this kit, and I already have three on pre-order from my local plastic pusher.

However, before we get all het-up over this model I'd like to make an observation. I think people are being a bit premature in expecting that this is an "All new tooling"

I have bits and pieces of the original, and it's a fair distance from 1/25 scale, more like 1/20 (as has been previously noted in this thread) I know it'sbeing advertised as 1/25 scale, but as the subject is fictional, there is no original to master it from, and so Revell can concievably get away with cleaning up the old dies and just re-shooting it. The test shots we see in the previous posts (Thanks guys!) do not strike me as having a level of detail one might expect from a moern (Completely re-tooled) kit.

I think what we're looking at there is a reissue of the original. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely NOT as exciting as a whole new kit of a competition coupe.

just my 2 cents

>I think what we're looking at there is a reissue of the original.

that's kinda strange; its exactly what I had been thinking since looking at those photos...

this is going to get interesting; I, as many others, have hoarded the original kits and so there is definitely a base to compare against. to me this is the most exciting release announced in the past or future year, no matter how it turns out.

>I think what we're looking at there is a reissue of the original.

that's kinda strange; its exactly what I had been thinking since looking at those photos...

this is going to get interesting; I, as many others, have hoarded the original kits and so there is definitely a base to compare against. to me this is the most exciting release announced in the past or future year, no matter how it turns out.

Exciting? New kit releases were exciting back in the 60's & 70's, but not anymore for me.

I have to agree with William, exciting indeed. :D Which ever way it goes., original, 1/25th , great build, parts, nostalgia, it's all good, and exciting.

Nick, new kit releases were exciting back in the 60's and 70's when you stumbled upon them in your chance visit to the hardware store, department store, toy store, or were lucky enough to visit a hobby shop. :rolleyes: At best it was all chance with hardly the anticipation build up we now have with the internet. :lol: WOW! I am excited. :P

However, before we get all het-up over this model I'd like to make an observation. I think people are being a bit premature in expecting that this is an "All new tooling"

I think what we're looking at there is a reissue of the original. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely NOT as exciting as a whole new kit of a competition coupe.

This should show you the new and old parts layout is different, so they cannot be from the same mold. The driver figure is totally different, the firewall is in a completely different location, the clear spoked wheels are gone, the new rear wheels have a flange, etc.:

1dragsizzler3.jpg

ipms2013_04t.jpg

The new kit is an homage to the old version, and I would agree the folks at Revell have tried to keep the "feel" of the parts very similar, and some parts do look almost exactly like their original counterparts, but it's an all-new kit.

ipms2013_04t.jpg

The new kit is an homage to the old version, and I would agree the folks at Revell have tried to keep the "feel" of the parts very similar, and some parts do look almost exactly like their original counterparts, but it's an all-new kit.

Casey is exactly right, it's a homage to the old version with all new 1/25th scale parts. I've seen both the parts trees and the built ups in person and talked about it with Ed Sexton. The fact that it's difficult to tell says to me that they succeeded with their plans.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

That kit is going to be real interesting once the Hemi comes out and the straight 8's, AMC, a Cadillac engines start slipping in. This frame begs for diverse builds as that was the era. They all weren't fire breathing Hemi's. But however it's built, it's always nice to see a new tooling of a popular subject.

Hey, it could have been another Mustang or Camaro kit, right? ;)

Just pre-ordered mine. Heres the pic from the ebay listing. Wonky headers and of course the "fail" on those front wheels. I'm stoked.

715732985_o.jpg?nc=445

Appears the original style individual headers are still included. Very hard to model accurately scaled wire spokes in 1/25 plastic, but I will take these over those clear wheels any day. I have had a case pre-ordered since September.

slingsterb_zps05d39917.jpg

Thought I would share with you my first build of the Slingster. I say my first because I will be buying more of these when they are finally on the shelves. This is an advanced copy sent to me for my magazine column here in Oz.
I thoroughly enjoyed building this kit. As you can see, it is almost a direct scaled down version of the old Sizzler kit. Also evident is that the Sizzler kit was nowhere near 1/24th scale if the Slingster is 1/25th. I have included a couple of shots of it with the Ramchargers rail and the Winged express and it looks OK to me.
My only hassle was that the decal sheet, while excellent in quality, was too big for the model. It is almost as if it has been scaled to suit the Sizzler body.
I have let Revell know so hopefully they will address that
Leftover parts include a set of wire wheels (no tires, injected small block chev short block dragster body panels etc
Chris

DSCF5726_zpsd001e986.jpg

DSCF5720_zpsd998b1c6.jpg

DSCF5719_zps9d66f646.jpg

DSCF5721_zpsd5222fe2.jpg

DSCF5724_zps187fa95c.jpg

DSCF5722_zpsb6961bfe.jpg

DSCF5725_zps9d315bb3.jpg