Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #182 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

Ach, "Der Truffel-Jager von Zuffenhausen", the famous Porsche 917-20 "Pink Pig" as campaigned by Reinhold Joest and Willy Kauhsen in the 1971 edition of the "24 Heuers du Mans" (LeMans 24 Hour race). The actual car is now in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

As for this photo, I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's the real deal. The weathering of the lettering on the tire sidewalls just looks too spot-on to have been done by a modeler who most likely would either have done the entire car as shiny as this one is including brand new appearing tires, or weathered to a post-race appearance. These tires look like they've been sitting in a museum a while to me. The photos I've seen of the actual car show the same incerdibly narrow, incredibly even panel lines, and that fine mesh grille would have to be some extra sheer cloth to look this good in scale.

Ach, "Der Truffel-Jager von Zuffenhausen", the famous Porsche 917-20 "Pink Pig" as campaigned by Reinhold Joest and Willy Kauhsen in the 1971 edition of the "24 Heuers du Mans" (LeMans 24 Hour race). The actual car is now in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

What's most Funny about this Car is it was a Martini Car and the Martini folks thought the paint was so ugly they refused to have their name on it!