Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I find 1960's periodical correct ambulance decals?

I think your best bed would be to pick a municipality that you wish to represent and look for historic vehicles from that municipality's emergency services. Or, if there is no municipal ambulance service, perhaps an organization? Around here ambulance service is provided by St. John Ambulance, which had some pretty basic graphics back in the day and would be easy to replicate.

In the 60's, ambulance markings (and emergency vehicle markings in general) were very plain and subdued compared to what we're accustomed to seeing in the past 20 years.

You'd be in good shape to just go with two- or three-tone paint and plain white, silver, gold, or black lettering. Nothing gaudy, no fancy graphics, and in general don't worry about exotic logos. Ambulances then were just fast taxis. Even the "Star of Life" emblems came much later. A red cross here or there, especially on side windows, was about the boldest ambulance markings were ... back in the day.

Google-Image '1960s Ambulances' and you'll see what I mean. Just ignore the later stuff Google drags in and concentrate on the images earlier than the 70's.

Good luck with your project!

B)

If it were only that simple haha. I know exactly what you mean, and I agree that the graphics are basic. I have the material to make my own decals, but the problem is simple: Most of the letters used in those days were gold. And I can't print that.

And therefore unfortunately dependent on a decalmaker that has them. But thanks for the help though :)

A basic fire department ambulance model (like your illustration) can be created with the generic decal sheets produced by Chimneyville or Bill Bozo, if you can still find them. Check with copcarmodels.com. The generic sheets usually have the maltese crosses and 'ambulance' or 'rescue squad' lettering, generally in silver or gold.

B)

Thanks Danno and Bill,

Danno; did you mean policecar.com? I have tried there, but it seems they don't have a general sheet no more. But it gave me some little leads I still need to explore. It is basically exactly what I need.

Bill: I still need to browse your suggestion, I haven't had time yet for that, but you think they will be big enough for a 1/25?

Thanks Danno and Bill,

Bill: I still need to browse your suggestion, I haven't had time yet for that, but you think they will be big enough for a 1/25?

Yup. I checked before I posted. Many many sizes and fonts. And G-scale trains are around 1/24.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gold+lettering+model+railroad+decals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=gold+lettering+model+railroad+decals&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Zv9&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=7EjjUISIFYeg8gTa_IHQCQ&ved=0CEsQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&fp=abffa5f23ec997be&bpcl=40096503&biw=1548&bih=718

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

@Bill: I still have no luck with your suggestion, I tried to follow your link, but gave me only a error (maybe due to location?) I then looked online with google, but no luck yet. I did found some decalsheets for trains, but only consisted of separate letters in a gothic style.

@Johann: It took me a little while to find that, I looked at eBay and found a lot of stuff by Jim, but couldn't find anything by a seller 3 inches under, but by looking up that Jim, I ended up in the right store. A lot of very nice goodies, but no decals.

@Greg; unfortunately, there is no Michaels anywhere near my house :)

But I do thank everybody for helping and Still need some actually.