Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Gasser

Kyle

Here is my newest build, a Henry J. I have been looking for this kit for a while and finally got one. The kit is a little rough, so it will take some work to make it look good. The motor in the kit is not very good so I will use a different one. Maybe the injected Hemi from the Lindberg Little Red Wagon or an injcted small block chevy from the AMT 63 Corvette. I also need to think of a cool 60's gasser name to put on the door so that I can get some decals made up. Suggestions?

This one will have as much detail as I can put into it including wiring, aluminum parts, etc.

Here is the body in primer in front of the box.

HenryJ006.jpg

Here is the 2 piece fender glued together, it needs more putty.

HenryJ007.jpg

Here are a few pics of the body in 2 coats of the new Testor's laquer pink and one coat of clear.

HenryJ009.jpg

HenryJ010.jpg

HenryJ011.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D

Here is my newest build, a Henry J. I have been looking for this kit for a while and finally got one. The kit is a little rough, so it will take some work to make it look good. The motor in the kit is not very good so I will use a different one. Maybe the injected Hemi from the Lindberg Little Red Wagon or an injected small block chevy from the AMT 63 Corvette. I also need to think of a cool 60's gasser name to put on the door so that I can get some decals made up. Suggestions?

This one will have as much detail as I can put into it including wiring, aluminum parts, etc.

Bitchin build....the flake in the paint will "shrink" with some more clear....I say stuff in a 429 or a blown 392

(great source is the '41 street rod willys..)

IMG_0933.jpg

Hemis are nice but stick with a blue oval. A 429, SOHC or even the parts pack 427 would look right and be period correct. Best of all, you got a Ford in a Ford.

Nothing against hemis, please understand. Just like to see Fords in Fords if possible.

AGREED!! 429's and SOCHS are harder to find....But the 392 is more period correct.

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

and if you go blue oval you could call it The HEMI HUNTER

Edited by MikeMc

Hemis are nice but stick with a blue oval. A 429, SOHC or even the parts pack 427 would look right and be period correct. Best of all, you got a Ford in a Ford.

Nothing against hemis, please understand. Just like to see Fords in Fords if possible.

A Henry J isn't a Ford. It's named after Henry J Kaiser.

Wikipedia Henry J Kaiser

A Henry J isn't a Ford. It's named after Henry J Kaiser.

Wikipedia Henry J Kaiser

Okay, I stand corrected. It is a Kaiser. It did have a Willys motor though. In that regard, maybe a motor out of the Willys kit would work better... Even though, its a Dodge, oh wait. Thats a transplant too. :huh:

I guess, given all this data, the best motor to go with it the Buick nailhead? :P

In all actuallity, put whatever motor YOU want in YOUR car. Hey, be original. Throw a big Caddy mill in there or even an Olds 455. Really throw those guys for a loop.

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up a Ross Gibson hilborn injected Hemi (not sure if it's a 426 or a 392). I also may have a RG hilborn injected SBC to use, so it will probably be one of the two. I picked up the Hemi for the little red wagon, but I may use it for this.

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up a Ross Gibson hilborn injected Hemi (not sure if it's a 426 or a 392). I also may have a RG hilborn injected SBC to use, so it will probably be one of the two. I picked up the Hemi for the little red wagon, but I may use it for this.

i am sure that the ross gibson motor is a 392 . i would go with the sbc for clearence.

and you should name it DR...JAY!

Here is my newest build, a Henry J. I have been looking for this kit for a while and finally got one. The kit is a little rough, so it will take some work to make it look good. The motor in the kit is not very good so I will use a different one. Maybe the injected Hemi from the Lindberg Little Red Wagon or an injcted small block chevy from the AMT 63 Corvette. I also need to think of a cool 60's gasser name to put on the door so that I can get some decals made up. Suggestions?

Here is the body in primer in front of the box.

HenryJ006.jpg

Here is the 2 piece fender glued together, it needs more putty.

HenryJ007.jpg

Here are a few pics of the body in 2 coats of the new Testor's laquer pink and one coat of clear.

HenryJ009.jpg

HenryJ010.jpg

HenryJ011.jpg

nice job so far it looks a little familiar to me one of my many project's

http://public.fotki.com/Gabriel12/henry-j/

Gabriel

A small update.

I am using the rear slicks from the model king reissue of the 51 Anglia gasser because they are the only ones I have that are a suitable size. I found that the rubber was quite soft and didn't take to sanding very well. So I used my lathe to get the finish that I wanted.

I also got some front wheels and tires from my buddy Mike (lilscreamer). I think that they come from the 41 Willys SWC gasser.

henryj003.jpg

henryj005.jpg

Paint looks Awsome so far.

Have you got a name yet? Since these could be ordered through Sears catalogs, I think they were called "Allstate", you could play off the 'Stone, Woods and Cook Willys and call it the Sears, Robuck and Kaiser coupe.

Or look into the history of Kaiser's shipyards. Might be an interesting name there somewhere.

Avoid engines that could be considered 'boat anchors' however. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies.

Distributor at the back of the block = 392. If it's on an angle in front of the RH valve cover then its a 426 or larger.