Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 944 Turbo

Mike

I've had my eye on this at the LHS for a while, and the manager gave me a discount. I'm a fan of Porsche's and this one's got some great body lines (IMHO).

DSC02891.jpg

Some free time tonight allowed me to shoot some paint on it as well.

DSC02961.jpg

Edited by Mike

Hi ya Mike ...

Great subject ... looks like a nice kit ... :P You have picked a cool color ... keep us up to date on your project ... thanks for sharing.

New as far as it's been in the LHS for a year. So far, it's molded clean that I can tell, and what assembly I've done has been good. The rear suspension etc. is simplified as well. When I really get in to it I'll be able to give a better overall opinion.

I got a good chunk of time today to work on this. I've been unable to locate a good picture of the chassis so I'm sort of winging it. This is my first effort at running fuel and brake lines, so I'm sure things are wrong. I've got some detail painting and touch up to do yet, but it's coming along better than I thought it would. I also used the cigarette foil trick for heat shielding. Thank you for following along. ;)

DSC02972.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02974.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

Well this project has officially hit a huge brick wall. I got the interior done with the exception of the gear shift (easily fixed). BUT. My clear sprue is GONE. Not a part, the entire sprue with the windshields, lenses, EVERYTHING. I don't know if I misplaced it or if one of my kids got a hold of it in the basement and did something with it. GAH!!! :lol:

DSC02992.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

Mike, what did you paint the wheels with??

They're Fujimi wheels that I traded a fellow modeler for. I've seen a very similar finish on a fellow builder's wheels on an F1 car that he did using Alclad II Chrome where you base gloss black, then mist the chrome/silver over the top.

Cool project. I hope you find the clear sprue.

On another note, was it you that was doing a Kraco Indy car? If so, was that ever finished?

Thanks,

Yes it was actually. I got it started, and after losing complete interest, I sent it to a friend up in Canada who's big in to open wheel racing and he finished it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's where it sits until Revell gets me the replacement sprue missing from this kit (I HOPE since the kit's discontinued). Quick mock up to check things out fit-wise. Next to clear coat and get the black spoiler and window trim done. Thanks for following along.

DSC03036.jpg

DSC03037.jpg

Edited by Mike

looking good Mike!!

any assembly pitfalls to watch out for???

Actually, the kit's been a blessing overall. The only problems I've run in to, and they're minor at that, are -

-the front pan didn't quite line up so I bored out the holes slightly on the chassis to fix that

-The hose running from the turbo to the radiator is a tight/awkward fit that's not friendly but easily managed

-the exhaust from the engine needs to be slightly trimmed to accomidate the full exhaust assembly

Edited by Mike

Actually, the kit's been a blessing overall. The only problems I've run in to, and they're minor at that, are -

-the front pan didn't quite line up so I bored out the holes slightly on the chassis to fix that

-The hose running from the turbo to the radiator is a tight/awkward fit that's not friendly but easily managed

-the exhaust from the engine needs to be slightly trimmed to accomidate the full exhaust assembly

i'll keep that in mind when i build mine, thanks!!

• 1 month later...

This one's finally back on the bench after a huge stall. First, the clear sprue was lost from the kit. I still have no idea what the kids (or I) did with it. Revell customer service came through after a month wait. B) Add to this a broken hand and well... yeah building took a break. That aside, I finally got some time tonight to complete the inner body and get everything standing on the wheels. Just some decals, touch ups, polishing, and minor final assembly left. It'll be good to get this one complete.

DSC03068.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03070.jpg