Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 jaguar ss 100 roadster

doug2013

ive had this model foro about a year now i wanted to take my time on it and i think it was worth it i used british racing green with a 2 stage clear coat weathered the engine and custom exhaust tips and distributor hope you like it

DSCF4514.jpg

DSCF4507.jpg

DSCF4525.jpg

DSCF4539.jpg

DSCF4543.jpg

Nice looking Jag.

Paint and details looks good.

unsure.gif

"O" That's the battery in the cowl area.

Nice work..

ya that is i think that is pretty cool that they found a nicehidden spot for the battery back then compared to today where you can see it in the engine bay i was going towire it up but i ran out of cable so ill have to wait till i get some

im not a huge fan of jaguars but this one stoodout because they used to have races with these cars so thats where i got the idea of making it look like one i wish i had made some hood straps for it but i can always add on later thanks guys for the great replys

Thats really nice. Been wanting to do a Rolls Royce of that year or about. Can not remember the site that I saw that you could order them. 1/25 or larger. Any suggestions ?

well i would check ebay its a 1:16 scale and its a simialar body shape to the bentlys and rollls royce i got it at my local hobby shop for 20 bucks so it was a good price the kit was awesome but one part was too messed up from the molding process but i loved that model

Thats really nice. Been wanting to do a Rolls Royce of that year or about. Can not remember the site that I saw that you could order them. 1/25 or larger. Any suggestions ?

There are several classic Rolls-Royce models in 1/24-1/25, such as the Henley roadster and Star of India, but in 1/16 you'll find two very good kits.

The first is the 1934 Phantom II with Gurney-Nutting coachwork, the real car currently owned by Chuck Schwimmer's San Diego Collection (nice reference shots there). It's a Revell kit that is usually available on eBay and should never cost more than about $40-$50 (Beware of the "Museum" version, which has brass-plated parts instead of chrome). This build is by the late, great Martin Swire, with more pictures at http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/1934rollsroycepii.htm. His site also has many other 1/16 masterpieces.

Picture2.png

The other 1/16 is a 1937 Phantom III, originally issued by Gunze Sangyo and later by Revell and Anmark (there may be an Entex boxing as well). The actual car is on display at the Toyota Museum in Japan, and there is very little photo reference for it.

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Edited by sjordan2

Those are super nice Skip. Was on ebay last night and found no Rolls but did locate a '30 four door Packard Speedster Phaeton by Monagram. What do you know about it ?

Not real familiar with smaller scales or Packards, though Most Monogram classics and Hubley classic car metal kits are pretty nice.

Here's the 1/16 Revell Phantom II with an excellent Buy It Now price of $25:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-1-16-1934-rolls-royce-phantom-2-model-vintage-/230503117760?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab0e73c0

1/24 Rolls Henley roadster for $36:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-24-MONOGRAM-1931-ROLLS-ROYCE-PHANTOM-II-CONV-NEW-/130408184093?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5ceef91d

Those are super nice Skip. Was on ebay last night and found no Rolls but did locate a '30 four door Packard Speedster Phaeton by Monagram. What do you know about it ?

i dont know about the kit but the car looks like it could be done pretty well

Edited by doug2013

i dont know about the kit but the car looks like it could be done pretty well

These shots are of the only built version of this kit that I've ever seen, and not very well done. Looks like the builder was misled about the car color by trying to copy the picture on the box. The Revell box shows a build in black and yellow, which looks terrific.

d6ac_3copy.jpg

dc32_3copy.jpg

PIIIRevellboxcopy.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

One thing about this Phantom III kit is a unique modeling approach (as far as I can see) to door hinges; it's a combination of metal tabs and plastic parts, where the metal tabs fit into slots on the door posts. Might be instructive for creating hinges for other kits, but the assembly instructions are not easy to understand.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to do proper-looking door hinges for my kit of your Jaguar SS 100. I'm surprised that the Jaguar kit and others like the 1/16 Entex/Minicraft Mercedes 540K have separate doors but no hinges – they're supposed to be glued in place. I am well aware of the many different tutorials on making hinges, but both of these kits need special approaches to look realistic, since the hinges are also external. The solution needs to include metal in key areas, since plastic hinges almost always break off.– and showing off your model to others means you're going to want to open things a few times, more than just letting it sit on the shelf.

Edited by sjordan2

I have a 1/16 MG-TC that is similar; doors are separate without hinges. I really want to build it, and have to research a hinge tutorial for it. I want to do it in a color scheme I saw on a 1:1 MGTB; medium grey fenders, charcoal grey metallic body, maroon chassis, wheels, interior, and grille insert. Incorrect for a TC, but a stunning color combination.

Edited by Jim Gibbons

One thing about this Phantom III kit is a unique modeling approach (as far as I can see) to door hinges; it's a combination of metal tabs and plastic parts, where the metal tabs fit into slots on the door posts. Might be instructive for creating hinges for other kits, but the assembly instructions are not easy to understand.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to do proper-looking door hinges for my kit of your Jaguar SS 100. I'm surprised that the Jaguar kit and others like the 1/16 Entex/Minicraft Mercedes 540K have separate doors but no hinges – they're supposed to be glued in place. I am well aware of the many different tutorials on making hinges, but both of these kits need special approaches to look realistic, since the hinges are also external. The solution needs to include metal in key areas, since plastic hinges almost always break off.– and showing off your model to others means you're going to want to open things a few times, more than just letting it sit on the shelf.

ya that was pretty disappointing because you would think that they would but they only gave you one for the hood but still looks good

I have a 1/16 MG-TC that is similar; doors are separate without hinges. I really want to build it, and have to research a hinge tutorial for it. I want to do it in a color scheme I saw on a 1:1 MGTB; medium grey fenders, charcoal grey metallic body, maroon chassis, wheels, interior, and grille insert. Incorrect for a TC, but a stunning color combination.

those colors would compliment each other so very well

Edited by doug2013