Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Studebaker Avanti

Wow. This is a fantastic thread. I just got a NOS sealed 2012 R2 "50th Anniversary" reissue of the kit, and I'm mighty impressed with all the restoration work, and extra goodies in the box.

I recently decided I wanted a 100% stock Avanti to go with the ongoing gasser and Bonneville builds. The gasser is a resurrected gluebomb, and the salty one is based on one of the sadly de-contented earlier reissues. As both of those are heavily modified race-cars, I didn't need all the original parts that were missing anyway.

This R2 reissue is one nice kit to base a fine model on, and the re-tooled very special Halibrand wheels are just beautiful. I'm a happy guy...especially as these things are cheap now.  :D

This R2 reissue is one nice kit to base a fine model on, and the re-tooled very special Halibrand wheels are just beautiful. I'm a happy guy...especially as these things are cheap now.  :D

It was pretty amazing Round2 reissued all three (not counting the Mr Speed F/C kit) of AMT's Studebaker kits within the last few years, but I'm glad they did. The decal sheets in both 1/25 scale kits are fantastic, too.

Wow. This is a fantastic thread. I just got a NOS sealed 2012 R2 "50th Anniversary" reissue of the kit, and I'm mighty impressed with all the restoration work, and extra goodies in the box.

I recently decided I wanted a 100% stock Avanti to go with the ongoing gasser and Bonneville builds. The gasser is a resurrected gluebomb, and the salty one is based on one of the sadly de-contented earlier reissues. As both of those are heavily modified race-cars, I didn't need all the original parts that were missing anyway.

I have several AMT Avantis, but I did not buy the latest one. I may have to just for the Halibrands.

Ron, you really want one of these Avanti's. I had three, did not think I needed one more. After opening the box and looking at the parts,decals & tires in the new issue, I wish I had bought more than one.It is that nice. It will be a great build. Even if the New Tool Halibrands wind up under the Sock-it-to-me Vette.

I got one of the newest reissues too------I already have the "Reggie Jackson" reissue from years ago, but this issue is MUCH, MUCH nicer than that one! I built one actually back in the '80's, but it was one of the models I lost when my place got flooded back in '11. It was in a box that I hadn't got out of the basement, and it was tossed out along with some other things that got ruined. :(

Just so's everybody is on the same page about the new-tool Halibrands...they're these, which were a dealer option on The Avanti, and available aftermarket for a while as well.

Image result for studebaker halibrand wheels

Looks like a trip to the HL for the re-issue is in order.

I really like those wheels - but would someone please make a kit of the entire car - please......

Edited by djflyer

Just so's everybody is on the same page about the new-tool Halibrands...they're these, which were a dealer option on The Avanti, and available aftermarket for a while as well.

Image result for studebaker halibrand wheels

I really like those wheels that car with those wheels. I have a  Missing Link Hawk to finish, and those wheels would set it off. Now to get an Avanti/

• 4 years later...

The square bezels would denote a '64, but they were optional.  Not all '64s had them.  The car itself, out of the box, would be a '63 as it has the "long skinny" battery similar to those used by Buick back then.  The '64 cars had a more conventional rectangular battery.

As for headlight bezels, the square ones were made specifically for the Avanti, but the round ones were leftovers from either the pickup or the early Lark (I forget which), installed sideways compared to the original application.  Raymond Loewy wanted quad lamps, and many of the styling workups had quads.

The engine options are interesting as well. A single four barrel for the standard engine and a Super Charger as the R-2 engine option. Also, there is a dual Super Charger setup for the rare R-3 engine option.  

6 hours ago, espo said:

The engine options are interesting as well. A single four barrel for the standard engine and a Super Charger as the R-2 engine option. Also, there is a dual Super Charger setup for the rare R-3 engine option.  

The kit's dual blower option was actually called "R-5".  only a couple were built if I am remembering the story correctly; one was used for the Studebaker peed runs at Bonneville.  I did a kiy buildup with more of the R-5 story for either SA or MCM about 10-15 years ago...

My very good friend/fellow retired Ford exec/car enthusiast neighbor has an unrestored but in very good condition R2 Avanit in his collection.  Very cool car!   

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

The kit's dual blower option was actually called "R-5".  only a couple were built if I am remembering the story correctly; one was used for the Studebaker peed runs at Bonneville.  I did a kiy buildup with more of the R-5 story for either SA or MCM about 10-15 years ago...

My very good friend/fellow retired Ford exec/car enthusiast neighbor has an unrestored but in very good condition R2 Avanit in his collection.  Very cool car!   

TB ry

TIM 

I wasn't 100% on the engine option number but always thought it was the R-3. Now rare is the 305 cu in Studebaker engine with the duel super chargers.  

17 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT 1312, Studebaker Avanti, with headlight options (square or round) to build it as either a '63 or '64:

amt1312StudebakerAvanti.jpg.8b2fbf2230065f11d6841279c4d3063f.jpg

I've always liked that boxart, really any in that series I liked, but especially the Avanti. I got a steal on the last issue of this kit with all it's pad printed goodies and such, so I don't know if I'll get this one. I even still have a Prestige issue. But man, that boxart may be too nice to pass up.

14 hours ago, keyser said:

They had square bezels until the awful urethane bumper cars. Alice Cooper has nice resto mod Avanti. Was on Counting Cars

80555993-7068-4FC8-999A-624A2B50CD01.jpeg

Dang that's beautiful. if i ever get around to building one I might have to replicate this. It looks especially classy with the wires and white paint.

Twin blower set up is actually R5 motor. Instructions sketchy on how it looks, but it’s cool. Granatelli bunch set Bonne speed records with it. 
I have NO idea why that pic is in link, but great thread. Useful Studey info  C4D9A389-5EB8-46CC-8D63-9F400E38CEB9.jpeg.961ff28013662d9fd8fe40e15d6cfb42.jpeg

Edited by keyser