Model Cars Magazine Forum

1994-2001 Dodge Ram questions

Maybe there is some threads on this on the forum before but I take my chanse at starting a new one.

I got the Revell Dodge Ram VTS kit (the Amigo pack with the little 1:64 diecast in the box aswell) and when I look at it I feel like I want to build a basic "plain jane" version. Two wheeldrive and short cab and bed with a benchseat.

Something like this:

141309702_Dodge-Ram_1996_800x600_wallpap

But the question is, what engine should a basic one have and from what kit can I get one?

And the wheels, is there any stock, plain steelwheels of the correct look out there?

When googling, I found this one:

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sale-wtb-chrysler-dodge-plymouth-eagle/689514-1994-dodge-ram-1500-v6-3-9l-2wd.html

Says it has a 3,9L V6 in it so the monster 8L V10 Viper engine will be used for something else I guess :lol:

Depending on the options you could get the V6 you mentioned, a 4.7 liter V8 and a 5.9 liter V8 that was basically a continuation of the 360 V8 Dodge had used for decades. The easiest option is to use the engine out of the AMT custom 71 Duster, it has modern valve covers and heads. The block is a bit small for a 360 so I would use the new heads and valve covers on a 360 block, all you need then is to fab up a fuel injection setup. The steel wheels out of Monograms newer 70 Roadrunner kits will probably work in a pinch.

Sadly, some miss info was posted here, the Mopar 4.7L V-8 wasn't an option in the Ram 1500 from '94 to 01'.....

The '94 to '01 Ram 1500 was made with the following:

3.9L Magnum V-6 "238" C.I.D.
5.2L Magnum V-8 "318" C.I.D.
5.9L Magnum V-8 "360" C.I.D.
5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel I-6 "359" C.I.D.
8.0L Magnum V-10 "488" C.I.D.

Edited by 426-Hemi

I wanted to build the samething.I would love to see all the engines available inscale.is the Revell Dodge capable of be converted into a

standard pickup? suspension front and rear,axles,transmission, cab,bed...has anyone did this before and how successful was the build?

thank you...Chris

Is the 5,2 "318" the same as the old 318?

No.....

The "new(er)" 318 or 5.2L which ever is different! The 5.2L is the same C.I.D. as a 318, yes, BUT the 5.2L is a "Magnum" the old Mopar "318" is a LA motor, same sort of block, and rotating kit, BUT the heads are different and the intake is different! AND they aren't "interchangeable" if you have a true LA 318, you can bolt the heads from the Magnum to it, BUT you must use the factory intake that the Magnum heads came with.... UNLESS, you buy after market "special" parts from Mopar performance parts, or others from Jeggs, or the like of aftermarket parts places. -The new "5.2L" has a slightly better rotating kit and better main bearings then the old LA 318.... They cane be built to have decent power!

I wanted to build the same thing.I would love to see all the engines available in scale.is the Revell Dodge capable of be converted into a

standard pickup? suspension front and rear,axles,transmission, cab,bed...has anyone did this before and how successful was the build?

thank you...Chris

I have planned to build both the VTS, (As a plane ole Ram 1500) and a dualie (from the snaptite kit from AMT) into a level 2 model with a Cummins turbo diesel in it.

THEN to top that off, I want to built 2 of the Revell VTS trucks into this:

1997_Dodge_T-Rex_6x6_003.jpg

1997_Dodge_T-Rex_6x6_000_detail.jpg?1432

I have not decided which "way" I'm gonna go yet, as you can see the rear fenders are different between the 2, AND each has a different cab as well.....

These however are a ways off, I have to locate some parts before I even begin.....

T-rex sure is good name for it, they should have used it in Jurrasic Park.

Does anyone know of detailed drawings and pictures and measurments of the 5,9L Cummins diesel engine?

Yeah, they only made a total of 6 of the T-Rex 2500's..... They were originally a prototype...... But never made it pastthat, ALL 6 were powered by the V-10, of the day, these truckswere 1997 models!

The Cummins Diesel 5.9L that Dodge used, there were differences from one year to the other in looks, so it might depend on the year your planning to model! Aloto f looks differences in the way the top ofthe motor was "Rocker Cover" and or air cleaner, and such.....

Ok, I'm guessing that there is none available in 1:25 scale so I plan on maybe scratchbuilding one, but then I would need some good detail pictures and drawings aswell as the measurements. If possible maybe I could even do a resincasting of one.