Model Cars Magazine Forum

This may be in the wrong section, but....

I'm no expert, but I've put a few together....The biggest thing that helped me, is once I've built the sleeper walls and gotten them assembled, I built the interior modular style, if you will....I build everything in sections that will just drop in....Here's what I did with my 1/16 scale Pete 379....

I need to work on building them with rounded corners, but you get the general idea....

001a_zpscc12f61a.jpg

013a_zps0ff6f362.jpg

027a_zpsd97f9be1.jpg

027a_zpsd12c6d45.jpg

031a_zpseb324df0.jpg

040a_zps42946a13.jpg

Remember....Most custom sleepers are just that...Custom....Lay it out any way you want.....

And make sure you have a cutting mat with a grid on it.....It's very important to get the sides squared up just right....

Edited by kilrathy10

How big?

What do you have going?

Do you have a reference pic for people to look at? Something you'd like to shoot for?

Or you could listen to JT.

it's for the amt peterbilt 352 and I'am adding in a storage locker behind the tanks plus other set of tanks to give some scale of the stretch I'am doing

it's for the amt peterbilt 352 and I'am adding in a storage locker behind the tanks plus other set of tanks to give some scale of the stretch I'am doing

also I dont plan on doing anything on the inside for now do to the fact this is my first custom sleeper

oh yeah what did you use for the windows

Oh, yeah....Just some clear plastic you can get from various packaging....My favorite is the ones from the deli at Walmart....I get to eat the cookies and cakes for bonus....And if you're only going to do the box, then a gridded cutting mat is a must....Hobby Lobby sells some decent ones for about $16....That's about $10 with a 40% off coupon....

Edited by kilrathy10

Oh, yeah....Just some clear plastic you can get from various packaging....My favorite is the ones from the deli at Walmart....I get to eat the cookies and cakes for bonus....And if you're only going to do the box, then a gridded cutting mat is a must....Hobby Lobby sells some decent ones for about $16....That's about $10 with a 40% off coupon....

okay, what about the frame around it just plastic stock

Steven, I'm not trying to discourage you but that 8" sleeper would be a 200" sleeper on a real truck. That is a motor home.

Try searching for custom sleepers to get some ideas. Even the sleepers that JT or myself are doing are only 100" 1:1.

The frame really needs to be reinforced also for the weight.

Ken. B)

I say go for it. Build it as long as you want. It is your model. Andnobody said it has to be an actual replica or even a possiblility in 1 - 1.

I would use .030 - .040 sheet for the walls.And if you if you want to do rounded corners. Put etra plastic strip on the inside ofplastic on the inside of each

corner . I would also highly recomend some sort of solvent to bond the plastic. As opposed to super glue or epoxy.And you might want to add some lateral strips on the inside to prevent bowing. Especially since you aren't planning on doing the interior yet.

Be Well

Gator

okay think you and I'am actually building it for a friend and those are the measurements he gave me and I've figured the truck is to be some where around 3 feet long one front axle and four drive axles but thanks for the tips

I've seen this model, before....That's a 1/32 scaler, and it looks awesome....

I think thats bigger than 1/32 bc its sitting on a 2x4

Gotta go with JT on this, it's a 1/32 scale snap Pete cabover (Monogram). The wheels/tires and fifth wheel give it away

I agree with hater do it how you want to do it, also agree with Kenny B. That's huge, I have a 1/16th on the back burner that is scale 144" my first also. All I can say is I like the .030 & .040 because it is more rigid. Remember haste makes wastes, save your self tome and money and plan your moves before using your knife.

Good luck, cant wait to see pictures.

Rich