Model Cars Magazine Forum

Instruction sheet? What is that?

Those are the papers that you lay down to build the kit on. You spill some paint on them, they stick together. The next day the last two parts you glued together do not fit where they belong. So you grab the instructions and find the spot you spilled the paint on is the drawing for the ill fitting parts. :lol:

It depends on the kit. If it's something I've built before then maybe not so much. If it's something I'm seeing for the first time then I'll look at them as needed.

Well I worked for a long while without them. Until the Revell '32 three window coupe. For the ease of painting, I glued the inner wheel wells (for the highboy version) to the body. Everything was wonderful until final assembly when the interior wouldn't fit into the cab, because the wheel wells were there. Which the instructions had pointed out, if I have bothered to read them.

So now I study the instructions thoroughly before building and will occasionally refer back to them.

You gotta chock that up to experience and expertise.....To be honest with you, I still use them quite often....Especially, on an expensive or a new kit....I even had to look at the instructions for my Raptor model.....However, once you've built a kit a few times, you kinda glance at them every once in a while.....

For instance, the Moebius 53' trailer model (The first one)....If you didn't look at the instructions, you could very well have screwed the suspension up pretty bad....And there IS a top and bottom to the side panels.....

The Prostar and Lonestar, however are different....Most of us had to build the Lonestar without much help from the instructions, anyway....And, as for my Prostar, I wouldn't have known the best place to cut for the stretch without them....

Now, the Revell Pete 359 snap kit was a no brainer, but those are rare....

And, I too, save all I get....I keep them in my Payhauler 350 box....It's getting full, though....

Edited by kilrathy10

For me, it depends a lot on what kit it is but I always look trough the instructions on new kits (especially new tool kits) to see how things are done and to get an idea of what details are in the kit. But I don't always use them when building, many times only for refrence on some parts.

When I build something I am familar with in 1:1 then the instructions are of no use (like the 63 bajabug project I got at the moment) as I build from what I know but if I build something that I don't know much about then the instructions are used all the time.

i still look at the instructions if it's a kit I'm not EXTREMELY familiar with (as in I just built one exactly like it).

I've found over the years that just jumping into something without bothering to look at blueprints, blowups, parts lists or instruction sheets is almost a sure-fire way to miss something important, and to have to do something over...or buy another one after I buggered the first one.

Goes for real stuff, too.

She's pretty good with a crayon, Man...I wonder what the walls in her bedroom look like....My youngest was pretty good about NOT writing on the walls, but her older siblings were; let's just say, not very careful......

Edited by kilrathy10

Someone over here said that the instruction sheets are only for cowards... :D

I always go through them when I open the box and use them when building something I am not familiar with. And even if I am I check them now and then. There are always some parts that are not stuck in my memory. And yes, I spill a drop of color or glue on them sometimes. I never throw them away when the building is done. For the case of rebuilding the kit in a future.