Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Falcon

jjsipes

I have decided to try and build a replica a car for my mother-in-law. It was a car that her grandmother owned and was left to her. It is a 1967 Ford Falcon with the straight 6 under hood. I searched the internet and found a glue bomb on everybodies favorite auction site and won it.

This is what I had gotten. It was built up as a gasser. No stock seats or stock hood.

KGrHqZiE-y8FpQFBPrLzBQfw60_57.jpg

KGrHqZkwE-nNShphBPrMNw1g60_57.jpg

KGrHqRoIE-uf2zQdBPrMgEUw60_57.jpg

Luckily it wasn't panited. Everything came apart fairly easy but somethings were going to need replaced. I placed any order with Modelhaus but have yet to receive it. They didn't have everything I needed so I found a 1966 Falcon that was built stock and had the other parts need. Heres what I got this go around.

KGrHqZHJCwEuDJUw7BP4drMUcz60_12.jpg

I have since sanded and cleaned up the body working on filling in tap holes in the inner fender structure under the hood, puttied where needed, took side moulding off and working on getting it ready for paint. I have decided to go with a Revell 1966 Mustang chassis, which I had to whorten the wheelbase by 3/32 to align but otherwise fits great. I have gotten a resin straight 6 from Don Loomis per the suggestion of fellow members here. I have stripped the paint on the hood of the second Falcon build-up and looks like it is fresh from the box. I ave the stock seats in my stripper yet, they look like they have been painted 2 or 3 times.

0703121335a.jpg

0703121335b.jpg

0703121335c.jpg

Here is it with the Mustang chassis fitted.

0703121340.jpg

Nice save on this. You might even try and see if you can get your hands on the 1:1 Falcon. It looks sound , and I can't remember the last time I saw one of these.

I can get my hands on it whenever I want, its in the garage where Im living. I surmize that one day it will be my wife and mine car since her great-grandmother meant so much to her and my love with the automobile.

• 1 month later...

Looking good..I have a couple of the later AMT Falcons I bought as builtups...a rough '67 and a less rough '69. Someone hacked out the B-pillars on the '67, got to recreate those, and the seats are missing. It's hard to find an AMT Falcon of that era that hasn't been hacked up..

That's looking good so far. I have an old built-up '69 I need to get back to. It's missing the rear seat, and I cannot find one anywhere, so I will have to make my own out of sheet plastic. I have not decided on the direction of the build yet, as I may make it a base car like yours. I have a 6-banger, steelies, and doggies f or such a build, and since the seats are missing, a set of the standard front and rear bench seats should not be too hard to cobble up.

I'm really enjoying this one.

Looks good. i've got one of these in my stash as well as a four-door to do. (in case you didn't know, Ford imported these to Australia until it was discontinued in the States but continued on here.) Lucky it had the correct vents molded correctly in the front panels.

• 3 weeks later...

Started to get some color on the body today. Found this color in Michael's, its Krylon Bonnet Blue. It's a little to bright I think but. I am going with it. Got a couple of spots that don't look quite right so I need to let it dry and scuff to reshoot some color.

0828121216.jpg

0828121216a.jpg

0828121217.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

It's coming along nicely, putting a straight six in there was the right thing to do. I am looking forward to setting how this turns out. My opinion e would be to use the left over falcon to recreate the gasser, that would look sweet and put the leftovers to good use.

• 2 years later...

Got a complete, unmolested, in a good box, 1967 AMT Falcon at our local model club swap meet two nights ago. The body is down in the basement with a coat or two of Testor's One Coat Icy Blue lacquer on it. And it's looking pretty good! I'll be building this kit box stock, with nothing added but paint. I love cars from the year 1967. And I love the AMT kits from this era. And I got it at a pretty good price. A win-win-win all the way around. I'm happy.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I can get my hands on it whenever I want, its in the garage where Im living. I surmize that one day it will be my wife and mine car since her great-grandmother meant so much to her and my love with the automobile.

I hate to even mention things like this for the fear of sounding morbid and, or greedy, but it would be in your best interest to have the car signed over to you as a gift before the passing of the great grandmother. This bypasses any inheritance taxes, and I have been on a losing end of a similar deal, I spent all my high school years living with a favorite aunt, and while I was there she bought a brand new '65 Valiant, over the years I helped her out with many things, and kind of was the caretaker of her car,, we discussed the fact that since it meant so much to her (it was her first new car after a rough marriage and divorce) that I would really like the car if something happened to her, in '94 she was worried about it getting older and unreliable (it had 46,000 original miles on it) so she put it on blocks and put the tires in the barn, but would start it every thirty days to keep the cylinders from rusting up. The irony is that the new Plymouth Neon she bought to replace it had an underhood fire and burned to the ground, so she bought a new breeze in '99, sadly she passed unexpectedly in 2001, and hadn't written up an official will, I talked to her youngest daughter about the car, and she said she was aware that her mother had wanted the Valiant to go to me, and as soon as they could get it appraised they would let me know what they would sell it for, I haven't heard from either sister since, and no surprise when my father, (their uncle) died two years ago we never even got a sympathy card.

So get anything that a loved one plans on bequeathing you either before they pass, or clearly laid out in a legal will that has been notarized, family can turn into vultures after a person passes.