Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rubber Sanding Blocks ?

This was one of most valuable tools and without it I'm lost . I thought I heard somewhere that discount beauty stores had the firm rubber foam , for toenails or something . But I checked it out at a couple of places , and it's not as firm and the foam is not as dense . My understanding is "LMG" is gone , is there anyone else selling these blocks . Or maybe a sourch for this type of foam rubber , I was thinking maybe an auto reapolstering shop .

I don't use the polishing cloths as much as I used to . (mostly for clear parts) But I use the block with a piece of an old cotton tee shirt and KIT polishing compound for nice shiney finishes . I actually do all my polishing before I paint but thats another story .

Thanks in advance for any help......................See you around the clubhouse ,

Steve D.

I think I might have what you're looking for. It's not rubber, rather a very dense heavy foam. I have been using it for many years as a sanding aid. PM me with questions. J.B.

J.B.

Is this something I can get locally ? Or do I need to send off for it ?

Right now I'll try anything to find a replacement . These blocks are invaluable for sanding and smoothing out large panels on car kits , especially when the "BONDO" starts flying . Thanks again ,

Steve D.

This was one of most valuable tools and without it I'm lost . I thought I heard somewhere that discount beauty stores had the firm rubber foam , for toenails or something . But I checked it out at a couple of places , and it's not as firm and the foam is not as dense . My understanding is "LMG" is gone , is there anyone else selling these blocks . Or maybe a sourch for this type of foam rubber , I was thinking maybe an auto reapolstering shop .

I don't use the polishing cloths as much as I used to . (mostly for clear parts) But I use the block with a piece of an old cotton tee shirt and KIT polishing compound for nice shiney finishes . I actually do all my polishing before I paint but thats another story .

Thanks in advance for any help......................See you around the clubhouse ,

Steve D.

This firm foam rubber block was a part of the LMG polishing kit as well as being available separately. LMG was the first to bring to our hobby the Micro-Mesh Polishing Kit system, and Micro-Mesh sold those to any and all comers, and still will. Have you checked Micro Mark Tools?

Art

J.B.

Is this something I can get locally ? Or do I need to send off for it ?

Right now I'll try anything to find a replacement . These blocks are invaluable for sanding and smoothing out large panels on car kits , especially when the "BONDO" starts flying . Thanks again ,

Steve D.

Steve- I have an ample supply of this stuff. P.M. or email me with your street address and I'll send a piece out to ya. J.B.