Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '30 Ford Woody "Lorena": Poncho blue, March 18

Ace-Garageguy

I have several long-term builds waiting for the weather and my available time to coincide for paint, so I've opened up a couple of fill-in projects, including this one that's been shelved a while.

This is a vintage Monogram 1/24 1930 Ford woody street-rod. It looked pretty good in the auction listing with a few other built-ups, but the seller simply threw it in a box with zero padding, and when it arrived, it was just parts.

DSCN4753.jpg

What didn't self-disassemble during shipping was held together with gobs of tube glue.

DSCN4754.jpg

After breaking the joints, I had this. A straight restoration isn't worthwhile due to the damage, but it can cetainly be saved.

DSCN4755.jpg

First order of business was to set up the stance. The relationship of the tires to the fenders shown here is about as low as you can go in 1:1 and still steer, and have sufficient suspension movement. Look in the center of the wheels, and you see I'm establishing the axle center-lines with available parts. Stance is everything, and the suspension will be built to keep the design-stance exactly.

DSCN4757.jpg

To lock it in, I made up temporary stands from 1/16" square stock.

DSCN4840.jpg

I started the chop with a 1/8 inch cut (about 3 scale-inches) out of the windshield pillars, and followed by carefully cutting the side panels on the molded-in wood joints at the door tops and removing the same amount.

DSCN4768.jpg

I adapted a '32 grille shell and hood, which had to be narrowed in the rear to fit the '30 cowl, slightly relocated the headlight, and had the first mockup.

DSCN4837.jpg

The 3 inch chop removes some of the 'old-timey-ness' of the profile and still allows plenty of headroom for a real car. Ride height is a touch higher front and rear than the original fender-mockup was, but retains some hot-rod rake.

DSCN4839.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

ooh yes thats awsome already loving the chop and ride hight ..

one thing would really make this one perfect and that is if you shorten the wood body in lenght at the rear.

so what i mean is drasticly reduce the overhang at the back .. that would look so good proportion wise ~~~!

ooh yes thats awsome already loving the chop and ride hight ..

one thing would really make this one perfect and that is if you shorten the wood body in lenght at the rear.

so what i mean is drasticly reduce the overhang at the back .. that would look so good proportion wise ~~~!

I agree the proportions could be much improved by doing that, but I'll probably leave it long for room for more beer, volleyballs and girls. B)

To lower the rear of a Ford Model A (1928-1931) you usually have to raise the rear crossmember relative to the frame. Easiest way to do this, after carefully cutting off the crossmember, is to add wedge-shaped pieces to the existing frame rails...

DSCN4791.jpg

Then re-attach the crossmember in the new, higher position. This works on any model A kit, and the real cars. I've also reinforced the underside of these brittle old rails with 1/16 styrene square strip, and am reshaping the front of the rails to fit inside the fenders better.

DSCN4947.jpg

Nice fit...

DSCN4944.jpg

One thing to remember is that when you put the wedges on top of the frame rails in the rear, you have to make clearacce in the floor for them. This build will probably get a looks-like post-'57 Olds / Pontiac rear end, with scratched brackets to attach the buggy spring at the correct ride height.

DSCN4794.jpg

With a little work it should be quite presentable.

DSCN4799.jpg

I really appreciate that you're considering how your modifications would work in the 1:1 world. I try to do this for my own scale customs, but I lack the 1:1 knowledge and experience which you have. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well as your build.

Bill, Really cool builds!!! I really like how the Woody looks so far, perfect stance and overall look. Same thing with the Ace Garage Special, they look excellent. I also started wondering, how many projects you got going on at the same time?

Sincere thanks for the interest and input.

....did you ever finish your 50 Olds Fastback?

It's currently the epoxy and new filler test car. I'd intended to do resin copies but other guys beat me to it. I'm in the process of reinforcing all the joints to go ahead with the chop, and opening the doors and deck.

... I also started wondering, how many projects you got going on at the same time?

Close to 70, but there are really only about 15 in the rotation that get worked on regularly.

• 1 year later...