Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st Gen Chevy/GMC S-Series Extended Cab Longbed

Imagine going down the road wedged behind a seat sitting on that padded piece of plastic. Doesn't seem like the safest idea.

No it sure isn't. I've done it a couple times...and I'm 300 lbs! Although I'm sure that my size ensured i was wedged and wasn't going anywhere. This is just another reason these made great places for an amp rack or small speaker boxes

Nice work Casey. I had a '92 S-10 Club cab with standard size bed. Nice truck. Sounded great after I went with dual exhaust from the cats back and no mufflers! It eventually succumbed to the ravages of snow & salt in the Chicago area. I did buy a resin cast kit from Perry's. started it and never finished as the truck became worse for wear.

Thanks, guys. Progress has slowed, but this project is still moving forward.

I needed to separate the door panels from the inner quarter panels/jump seat surrounds, so I simply scribed through the recess which was already present, and voila':

doorpanels102913.jpg

I looked at bunch of different first gen extended cab pictures and noticed the raised area which runs side-to-side at the back of the cab floor. I added that raised area using some rectangular styrene rod, but it ended up being too tall, so I had to removed it, along with the rear wall of the cab. There were two rectangular blocks in each rear corner which weren't supposed to be there, too, so that gave me another reason to remove the entire rear interior wall and replace it with a slightly thicker piece of sheet styrene. Once the new rear wall was in place, I added the new (and hopefully) more accurate raised area on the floor, then started working on the jump seat surrounds. I got the left side roughed in, but the gap between the seat bottom/trim panel and the surround is a bit too big, so that will get some attention.

Here's the seat bottom panel sitting loose in the surround:

jumpseat103013.jpg

Here's the entire LR corner area:

qp103013.jpg

I worked on the bucket seats, too, scribing the areas between the backs and bottoms deeper, and defining the seat shapes a bit more on the thigh and side bolsters. Once the seats were placed in position inside the interior tub, I realized how little of the seat sides can be seen, so I'm not going too much further with them:

seats1.jpg

seat1.jpg

Very nice job on this, Casey.

Even if you don't get this particular unit cast, you can make another now that you've learned what to (not) do and let those of us lesser beings build these, too!

I've toyed with grabbing an early S-10, and I wouldn't mind a long-box at all- just that much more utility. One of the V-6s and an automatic, and I'd be quite happy.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wonder how this one is turning out?

Good, I guess. :unsure: I have the right bedside fully polished, and the bed and left bedside pice are almost done, too.

I was unhappy with my previous splicing/patching work on the right inner fender, so an AMT GMC Sonoma gave up its inner fender, and I spliced a section into the S-10's after some reshaping and slicing. I also filled the front framerails and will sand them flat/smooth, then add a thin strip of styrene to ensure the fit flush against the bottom edges of the inner fenders. Monogram's tiny tabs at the bottom of the inner fender, which slipped into the framerail gaps, wasn't a very secure way to join those two areas, so I will have to figure out something.

s1021714one.jpg

s1021714two.jpg

Still not sure what I'll do with the suspension, but the upper A-arms in the kit are atrocious, and the 2WD crossmember with the lower A-arms molded in is not much better. I'm leaning toward AWD or 4WD at this point, but planning to stick with the 4.3L and T5 5-speed manual trans, even if that means fudging the transfer case-to-trans attachment a tad. ^_^

• 7 years later...

I dug this one out, thinking I might be able to reassess things and possibly make some progress in 2022...we shall see about the latter. 

I made a few resin longbed bedside pieces a few years ago, only got one useable right and two left sides, and never cast a useable inner bed section...which it turns out is just as well. All three bedside pieces are 5-7% too short and no longer fit the master, so they need to be re-cast. I think I will eliminate the funky alignment thing at the front of each bedside piece anyway.

Honestly, not much of any progress to report, hut hopefully that will change soon. Pics of where it's at, and the damaged LH bedside master, which needs attention before it can be reused as a master.

Yes, the roof is still a bit concave:

947801438_PXL_20211230_0304095672.jpg.7b2d9920b13026eca478278b72aef48e.jpg

1779643580_PXL_20211230_0304178562.jpg.49fcf2b7fad001db24d70adef25bf53c.jpg

553031662_PXL_20211230_0304406142.jpg.cdb2c695a4fc44070f9e2f1a945761bc.jpg

Edited by Casey