Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic paints and floor polish. Tips to save money and get great results

Brilliant video Chris, I experimented back along using Vallejo acrylics on a Dodge Polara shell, Ive never thought about using Klear over the top I will definitely be giving this a go as using rattle cans is so weather dependent and its always raining over here in the UK.

Just one quick question say on that 58 Impala with that really nice copper metallic did you spray that staright from the bottle thinned with windscreen washer fluid, or did you thin it with Klear?.

Ive subscribed to your channel, keep up the good work mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently came upon this thread and the videos. I tried this method but im having a problem with it. When I spray, I get these small circles where the paint wont stick. Im using a badger 350 and about 20 psi. Any ideas what can be causing this?post-13619-0-77798500-1395548832_thumb.j

Edited by chicagojoe

Just recently came upon this thread and the videos. I tried this method but im having a problem with it. When I spray, I get these small circles where the paint wont stick. Im using a badger 350 and about 20 psi. Any ideas what can be causing this?attachicon.gifIMAG1039.jpg

Only thing I can think of is one, not mixed well enough. Two, something on the headliner that is not clean. Try rinsing the whole thing in the sink and wash with warm soapy water. That is an area the sometimes does not get cleaned well because we all focus more on the outside of the body. Then mix very well. I use a badger mixer but putting it in a bottle and stirring it well then put a lid on and shake the bageebies out of it. Any more problems let me know and I will see what I can find about it.

Chris,Great videos! I picked up some acrylic paints at wally world and will try this method this weekend.I have a question about the clear coat though.I can't find the mop and glow floor polish,can I use the testors one coat clears over the acrylics?I have a stock pile of the testors clears.Thanks for your help in advance.bigtim.

Chris,Great videos! I picked up some acrylic paints at wally world and will try this method this weekend.I have a question about the clear coat though.I can't find the mop and glow floor polish,can I use the testors one coat clears over the acrylics?I have a stock pile of the testors clears.Thanks for your help in advance.bigtim.

I have heard you can use the one coat clears over acrylics and enamels but I have never used it before. My suggestion would be to get an extra sprue and airbrush acrylic onto it dry with a hair dryer then use the one coat on top of that. Remember though if you put it on to heavy it will liquify the acrylic. Thats where putting the mop and shine on with thin coats it dries as you build it up keeping the acrylic solid. If you cannot find the mop and shine then get Pledge floor polish. It is originally called Future floor polish. If you are over sea's it is called KLEAR. You will get the same results.

post-9740-0-38133900-1395682772_thumb.jp

As for Future/Pledge, get the exact bottle in the picture (Look for the blue booties).. There's another one made for wood floors, and it yellows on models.

I found the LA's Totally Awesome Mop and Shine at Dollar Tree stores. ..Got two gallons now.. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Chris.........great video's, I think I've watched them all. Looking to get into acrylic's and have a question or two.

For chassis are really anything you want to leave flat black/flat, I know you can thin it with washer fluid but do you have to seal it with some type of clear?

When mixing/thinning the paint to use with a brush, is it the same 1 to 1 ratio or do you make it a little thicker because you're using a brush?

Keep up the good work......Tom

Ok maybe im not mixing it well enough. I sprayed it on something else and was having the same problem

the spots where paint won't cover/stick are usually called "fish-eyes" by regular car painters, they are usually caused by oil or silicon based contaminants either in the paint or on the item you are painting.

try adding a filter and/or moisture trap to your compressor and make sure the items to be painted have been properly cleaned and dried.

Well I am going to give it a try went to Hobby Lobby today all the 2 oz craft paints were 30% off I bought 6 bottles and a bottle of satin clear had the 40% coupon for that I spent a total of 7 bucks, stopped at Dollar Tree before I got home picked up some wipes, mop and shine and a gallon of washer fluid 3 bucks grand total 10 bucks got enough paint to paint a whole fleet! :lol: I'll let you guys know how it works!! ;)

Well I am going to give it a try went to Hobby Lobby today all the 2 oz craft paints were 30% off I bought 6 bottles and a bottle of satin clear had the 40% coupon for that I spent a total of 7 bucks, stopped at Dollar Tree before I got home picked up some wipes, mop and shine and a gallon of washer fluid 3 bucks grand total 10 bucks got enough paint to paint a whole fleet! :lol: I'll let you guys know how it works!! ;)

Please do post us on your results. I like to hear how it works for people. Also if you happen to have any problems or questions please let me know. Good luck and have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Can youm use the gloss acrylic paints as well?

Yes Dave, gloss acrylics are usable. One thing to remember is gloss has a clear liquid that allows it to be glossy. This makes it ripply or wavy. Not able to see it by eye but the paint reflects better if it is smooth. This is why people that use enamel and lacquer base paints have to wet sand in between coats and after clear coat to get a smooth finish. Flat non gloss colors lay down smoother as there is no liquid gloss agent in the paint. When you put on you clear coat the smoother it is the better the shine. Using flat prevents you from having to do any sanding and it will only be as glossy and shiny as the clear coat. polish and wax is on top. Just an fyi. but you are able to use any type of acrylic the same way. Thanks for watching.

• 4 weeks later...