Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help Me Remove My X-Acto Knife Scratches!

I've x-acto-bladed all the doors off two models, but scratched them up pretty badly-- too badly, I'm afraid, for simple sanding. The plastic seems pretty thin. I was wondering if there is a certain type of filler that would be appropriate for filling up these scratches, or a putty, or if you really think I cold sand them out somehow. Thanks for your help!

First of all, Welcome to the best scale modeling online forum!

Hard to tell without a picture but usually, scratches are not big or deep enough for filler to work. Filler needs something to grab to. I would suggest (again, without seeing it) a thick primer like Gunze's Mr Surfacer 500. It's a thicker than usual primer you can brush over the scratches and sand when dry. Next time protect the surrounding areas with tape so if the blade jumps or skips it scratches the tape not the surface. This will save you a lot of time later on repairs.

If you can, post pictures of the damage so we can see it and have a better idea of what we are dealing with.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Like Ismael said, without seeing pictures, we can't tell how deep the scratches are.

A trick that I use is Tamiya's Basic Putty thinned out with denatured alcohol. It turns it more into a liquid and will be able to flow into the scratches more easily. Might have to do this multiple times and then sand smooth. Another thing you could do is take thin Super Glue and put a couple of drops onto the scratches and the capillary action will pull it into the scratches. Then sand it smooth.