Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris;

I won't even bother to attempt to add any more superlatives to what's already been said hundreds of times in hundreds of ways....But I've watched this build with amazement for several years now and this creation is beyond a mere "model" and truly into the realm of valuable art....That might sound a bit over the top to some but I'd insure that darned thing if I owned it, it's irreplaceable!!

Steve...  Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words and for you following along. I think the last pics is a pretty sweet pic showing that the engine is almost completed but It still has quite a bit to do. All the Braided lines need to be installed as well as the oil filter system and braided line, fuel shut off cable. starter bracket that goes on the blower, the water jacks that are mounted on the heads as well as the fuel lines to the tank. Its getting much closer and exciting for me to see it coming together at this stage.

Danno... Thank you my friend. What can I say, over the years we have developed a friendship and it means a lot with what you have said above. I can't wait to be able to bring it to DSC to tell you it is done and I won't be telling you it will be done next year. Although you know I am the King of next year...lol, I know not everyone will get what we are talking about but it is always fun busting each others chops with it. Well I guess more mine than you.

Scott... Thank you. Those last three shots turned out way better than I thought they were since I was using my cell phone

Simon... Thank you. It was so great to see you and get to talk to you at GSL. I appreciate your kind words and glad this build was able to help you out and inspire yours. After seeing your 1/43rd builds you brought this year as well as the last GSL. It has me wanting to start a few of mine that have been in the closet for some time. Hopefully I will get one or two of them done before the next GSL. I will post a pic of both of our builds together here in a little while. Your build turned out wonderful.

Mike... Thank you very much. You need to consider going to the next GSL. I know that you would love the experience and meeting all of the wonderful model builders.

Lee...  Thank you. I know it has been a long Journey so far and it is definitely getting close to the end where that light at the end of the tunnel is getting a lot brighter. Although it might be sad when its done but it is also going to be exciting because I can then start on some builds I have been wanting to work on for quite some time now.

I will be at the bench today, and hopefully I will have a few updates to share with you all later on.

Chris.......sorry you did`nt have it done for GSL this year......but,at least you brought it for display.......now everybody will know how bad ass this build will be when finished........looking AWESOME!!!!!!......and mind blowing in person:wub:

Whoa Buddy!!! Sorry I'm late to the update, I've been under the weather myself. Knocked down for 2 full days.

But Hubba Hubba Hubba, I think I'm cured. Your skills have brought me back to life. Or reasonable facsimile thereof.

The plumbing and detailing is off the charts.

Its Sunday evening and no update. Chris must sticll be working at the bench and making vroom vroom noises again. Impatiently waiting for another amazing update.

l thought I was the only one who made those noises B)

If it could help me build like Chris does, would do it more often

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

SWEET!!!

love the engine, nice detail

how long exactly has this build been going on for? I see it has 219 pages, I was dumbfounded when I saw that, I tried to look through all of the pages, but I got impatient and just went to the last page ?

how long exactly has this build been going on for? I see it has 219 pages, I was dumbfounded when I saw that. ?

The first post in this thread is dated March 14th, 2011 and Chris said in that post he started this about a week ago. Six years and two months, about as long as I've known Chris. This thread is a 'must read' for anyone wanting to better their skills and and a 'how-to' on modeling innovation.

If you changed the background behind it or the mat it sits on , You wouldn't be able to tell if it was the real car or the model

DP-Army-Vega%208037-1_zps8x9ohihq.jpg

I agree

A couple outside photos on tarmac with forced perspective background and it would fool the Snake himself

God look at that engine :wub:

Hey Chris,

The engine with the plumbing installed so far is just freakin'  AWESOME !!!!!!!   All your efforts are really paying off in the finished product.

I was really disappointed that I had to miss GSL this time but will for sure make it next time !!!

Randy

I was away for a little while and now I can see some fantastic work on this thread again! That engine looks like a work of art, in fact when you get all of the plumbing and wiring done that engine will look like it could be fired up any moment. Of course the whole chassis and body are looking fantastic as well, and that subtle weathering on those tires...Wow - they look so realistic!

John... Thanks Brother... I was a little bummed not to have it done in time for GSL but it's ok because it would of been rushed and I probably would of messed something up. I still had a blast at GSL hanging out with everyone. I appreciate your kind words.

Simon... Thank you, much appreciated.

Joe... Thanks man. Sorry to hear you have been under the weather. Hopefully you are feeling better by now. 

Bob... Thanks but there aren't any Vroom Vroom sounds lately. I had some more hurdles and have gone backwards again. looks like I will that part aside and try to work on something else.

Bruce... Thank you.

Scott... Maybe that's what I have been doing wrong all this time.... Not making the engine sounds while building... :lol:

Shawn... Thanks Brother!!

Scott P... Thank you very much for the kind words Brother!! You are right that this has been a long time coming. I couldn't be happier at this point.... well I could if it was finished... haha. I really want to get the braided line on this engine to see that all together and wish that some of it was better. 

Bill... Thank you. once its done I will take pics of it outside. one thing I want to try and do is get some pics of it at the same angles as my reference pictures. Think it would be pretty neat to see them next to one another.

Bob... Thank you. I would like to send Prudhomme pics of it when it's done to see if he would respond.

Lane... Thank you very much. This build was started back in 2011 and I have been building it for little over 6 years now and I am guessing at this point I am well over 2000 hours into it. I need to update my spreadsheet for the time I have into it to get an accurate Idea of the time.

Danny... Thanks man!! I will be magic when I finally finish it or maybe just a Miracle...lol I am so ready to be done with with build so I can move on to some others at this point.

Brad... Thanks Buddy!!

Scott H... Thanks man! You gave me an idea... I wonder if my work would let me take pics of it out on the Tarmac.

Danno... You know I am the King of "Next Year". I think I am going to design a Crown and have it 3D printed so that it can be passed down to the next candidate... haha . for those of you that watch Street Outlaws how they have a Crown for the #1 spot.... this could be a Crown for the "Next Year" slot.... but who knows I could still be saying next year the way things are going for me....lol

Randy D... Thank you My friend!! I appreciate the kind words. as I mentioned earlier.... I can't wait to have the rest of the plumbing completed on this engine just to see how it looks. We missed you for sure at GSL but understand.

Niko... Thank you my friend... I really appreciate the kind words. I have to give the weathering credit to John Teresi because he explained to me how he does his weathering to his tires and I tried my best to make it look as good as his but I have a ways to go before my weathering skill are anything like his.

Well Fellas.... I am going to try hard and get some work done on this weekend and just hope its steps going forward instead of backwards again. Hopefully I will have some updates to post for you guys.

Lane... Thank you very much. This build was started back in 2011 and I have been building it for little over 6 years now and I am guessing at this point I am well over 2000 hours into it. I need to update my spreadsheet for the time I have into it to get an accurate Idea of the time.

wow, that's a lot of hours man!! But it sure is well worth the wait!

You just went from being a high jumper Chris to a pole vaulter you've set it so high for the rest of us.   You've really given me some inspiration and goals to shoot for.  Great balance and realistic look to the entire car, but again, your engine turned out just stellar.  cheers, tim

I'm a Journeyman Industrial pattern maker and I want to thank you for your work over the last six years. Truly inspiring to all of us who love working with our hands. Your a gifted man and you'll play a role in the completion of all my 1/16 scale drag racing endeavors. I began to follow builders like Gerald Wingrove back in the early 1980's . I bought all his books in the hopes that I would build museum quality models some day. May I just say you are in the same league as Gerald and truly world class! All the best!

Byron Haban