Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 300 SL

Cato

Hi Cato,

that will take it's time. Like mentioned, the kit is offered part by part in a subscription. Won't start the built, until the last piece is on my workbench, but I am setting up the cornerstones already. It will be a graphite-grey car with blue and white plaid upholstery, Rudge wheels, no bumper horns.

Cato sent me a link to a video of that kit. It's astonishing, but I'd have to sell my car to pay for it.

I made an accurate plaid pattern to print out on inkjet fabric, which you're welcome to use. Correct scale would be 10 alternating stripes across the seat cushion. Actual colors varied a bit, but it's easy to adjust in graphics programs.

Mercedesracingplaid.png

Gullwingplaidupholstery.jpg

I have just about all the reference material you'd need for a Gullwing, so feel free to contact me if I can help. Of course, you probably have easy access to real Gullwings in Germany, especially at the Mercedes Classics Center. Here's a link to just a few items in Photobucket. I have thousands in digital files, plus original factory manuals.

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/sjordan47/library/Mercedes%20300%20SL?sort=3&page=1

Edited by sjordan2

Can we share that link please

Other overwhelmed guys who buy too many kits would like to see it....that would be me :)

And who in their right mind puts a picnic table cloth on their seats

Leather, has to be leather

imagejpg1-5.jpg

Whew, that is better I am ok now

Traumatic flashback to my dad's '78 Mustang II with red white checkerboard upholstery.....blasphemy IMHO

OPEN DECLARATION TO THE FORUM:

Skip Jordan, as evidenced above, is the single most valued reference asset for the classics on the entire forum. His information and study of the classic cars is unparallelled, as is his complete unselfishness in sharing with anyone who is building such a car. Loved or hated, he is to be respected as the authority here on the subject except for a 1:1 owner.

As a beneficiary of his knowledge, generosity and kindness, I thank Skip on behalf of the forum.

C

Thank you for support, Skip.Will kick in your door. :D Think, that it's easier to get access to a Gullwing in the States. Most of them were sold there.

Scott, you're propably right. My first intention was to go on leather, too, but I got hooked on the Rudge wheels and an owner of the real car told me, that he is preferring the plaid fabric, because it's not that slippery.

By the way, Cato. I second your comment concerning Skip.

Edited by thinkbig

The plaid gabardine fabric goes way back in Mercedes history, even before WWII, and appeared on some examples of the 500K and 540K (brown and tan). It was a characteristic part of postwar Mercedes racing livery, such as on the SLRs (including Moss's SLRs, usually in the blue plaid), but Mercedes also offered Gullwings with green, red, and a Scottish tartan green and red, among custom choices.

Edited by sjordan2

Many thanks for the kind words, Cato, but my knowledge and references are limited to a few classics. You'll find far more expertise for a wealth of classics among members like Art, Harry and many others.

PS...I no longer have the link to the 1/8 Gullwing kit.

Edited by sjordan2

The plaid gabardine fabric goes way back in Mercedes history, even before WWII, and appeared on some examples of the 500K and 540K (brown and tan). It was a characteristic part of postwar Mercedes racing livery, such as on the SLRs (including Moss's SLRs, usually in the blue plaid), but Mercedes also offered Gullwings with green, red, and a Scottish tartan green and red, among custom choices.

Yes, there is history and lineage...but taste changes or we would all be wearing platform shoes and bell bottom pants!

Now another blasphemy I have planned is to build a Duesenburg engine withought the God awful green engine block

It is just so not a nice green I don't think I could stand to paint it that way

If I were ordering a Duese in the '30's I would have changed the engine colour

I definitely throw my support behind Skip as well. He has been helpful and supportive to me

Ilike someone who speaks his mind.......even when he is wrong about chrome on an MG TC :)

Yes, there is history and lineage...but taste changes or we would all be wearing platform shoes and bell bottom pants!

Now another blasphemy I have planned is to build a Duesenburg engine withought the God awful green engine block

It is just so not a nice green I don't think I could stand to paint it that way

If I were ordering a Duese in the '30's I would have changed the engine colour

I definitely throw my support behind Skip as well. He has been helpful and supportive to me

Ilike someone who speaks his mind.......even when he is wrong about chrome on an MG TC :)

Now I'm scared about what you're going to do with your Gullwing kit.