Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 jaguar need help deciding...

Silver is very cool as is BRG, but I've seen a few that have a factory dark olive green that is very nice.

Here's a typical BRG:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/07/27/138525.19-lg.jpg

This shot shows the accurate convertible top, which isn't well done in the kit:

http://public.fotki.com/Zincs/sandiegojaguars080706/1939jaguarss100otsg-8.html

It's hard to tell on my screen, but this appears to be the darker green:

Jaguar SS100 Sports Car - 1937

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/picture.php?getid=7125&table=cars

http://vietbao.vn/support/js/view_image.html?http://www2.vietbao.vn/images/oto/sanh_dieu/61001794_Jaguar_SS_100.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Here's some factory color scheme info (this is my first attachment on this forum; let's see if it works)

post-4455-1265222069403_thumb.jpg

post-4455-12652220955827_thumb.jpg

Just a little note about the interior that is hard to see in photos and is often overlooked in building this model:

the aft-facing side of the seat backs, and the bench area behind the seats, are finished in carpet fabric.

Edited by sjordan2

Color choice is always subjective. What one person loves, another may not.

This car looks good in almost any color. I prefer the darker shades, but I'm sure the ivory or silver are fantastic.

BRG is a color I love, but it's overdone on so many models that I'd be looking at black, royal blue, or maroon as classy alternatives, all with the brown leather. A darker gunmetal shade with a maroon red interior would be nice. Honestly I'd have a hard time nailing down the color on this one, but my heart would probably go with maroon.

post-4455-12652466972669_thumb.png

Above, typical maroon, though I have seen darker shades. I have pics of many other colors, but the fact is that you could order anything you wanted.

I have a very large digital reference file and I would be happy to burn a CD for you if you send your mailing address to sjordan47@dnp.com. If you have access to an ftp site where I could upload the material, that would be even better (nearly 500 MB).

post-4455-126524676379_thumb.png

post-4455-12652467837446_thumb.png

Edited by sjordan2

Seeing Skip's photos just reinforces my opinion that BRG is the way to go with that car. Silver is nice, but such a common color. To me, old Jaguars and BRG are meant to go together! B)

Common color! Like BRG on a British car or Red on a Ferrari? I even see too many Bugattis that get painted "Gauloises" blue. I like mixing it up a bit. I even suggested a theme for one of our club events featuring non-traditional paint jobs on cars. The Garlits red car, BRG Bugattis, anything but red Ferraris, etc.

I also like the idea of doing a somewhat funky, period-correct color scheme, such as body-color wire wheels as seen in the maroon car above (silver or chrome wires are too expected). I've seen two SS100 color schemes I'd like to do – Ivory with red interior and red wire wheels, and deep dark green body and wheels with a saddle interior. Black with a red interior is also very nice on this car.

Edited by sjordan2

Common color! Like BRG on a British car or Red on a Ferrari? I even see too many Bugattis that get painted "Gauloises" blue. I like mixing it up a bit. I even suggested a theme for one of our club events featuring non-traditional paint jobs on cars. The Garlits red car, BRG Bugattis, anything but red Ferraris, etc.

Amen brother! That's exactly how I think. At the peril of other people pointing and laughing at us, but I can handle that :rolleyes:

What I meant is that silver is a common color on cars in general. Yeah, BRG is a common color for a British car, but not a common color in the overall automotive world. And very appropriate for the car we're talking about. That's why I said "you can't go wrong" painting a vintage Jag BRG.

That being said, it's his model... it's his decision. All we're doing is offering suggestions. If you want to paint a Ferrari tan, go for it! :lol:

keep in mind "british racing green" is not a colour, but a description. typically it was whatever green was on the shelf as long as it was that forest green kind of hue. not even close on different panels of the same car sometimes.

dscn5844.jpg

(that was before body proper was restored and repainted a consistent brg sort of colour...here some panels are metallic, some gloss, some flat, thanks largely to mother nature).

another thing to remember is it was never a metallic. that eliminates the testors british green i think its called. what i always found matched what i considered brg is the tamiya british green i think it is and also krylon forest green.

i think it will look best in brg but i am also partial to black.

Edited by jbwelda

keep in mind "british racing green" is not a colour, but a description. typically it was whatever green was on the shelf as long as it was that forest green kind of hue. not even close on different panels of the same car sometimes.

dscn5844.jpg

(that was before body proper was restored and repainted a consistent brg sort of colour...here some panels are metallic, some gloss, some flat, thanks largely to mother nature).

another thing to remember is it was never a metallic. that eliminates the testors british green i think its called. what i always found matched what i considered brg is the tamiya british green i think it is and also krylon forest green.

i think it will look best in brg but i am also partial to black.

Yup. It covers a wide variety of shades, just as French racing blue applies to Bugatti.

Hey Andy... didja hear the story of the Englishman who bought himself one of them Eye-talian sportscars?

You may be a visionary after all! :lol:

Visionary, my foot!

David Piper painted his GTO green back in the 60s. He also raced a 917 in BRG, then yellow, then red! All were sponsored by Sandeman , a very lovely brand of Port wine from South Africa. I prefer the ruby.

"Williams" won the '29 Monaco GP in a BRG Bugatti T35B. Here is a picture of said car modeled by my good friend and fellow RPM club member Bob Maderich.

Of course a lot of this was in the day of national racing colors. Aside from the aforementioned BRG, French blue and red cars from IT-lee there were yellow cars from Belgium, orange from The Netherlands and white from Germany, White with blue stripes from the ol' USA. All countries that wanted them got their own national racing colors.

Here is link to a list on Wikipedia. I like Egypt - pale violet!

National Racing Colors

BobsT35-vi.jpg

heres the engine joined to the chasie

went with a modern look like a daily driver but not fully restored i will continue with that on the interior but not on the car oh and i used a flat brown paint and pretty muched dry brushed it came out pretty good i think

post-5568-12653297971682_thumb.jpg

post-5568-12653298038378_thumb.jpg

post-5568-12653298128884_thumb.jpg

Edited by doug2013

Yup. It covers a wide variety of shades, just as French racing blue applies to Bugatti.

Actually.... Bugatti blue is different from "French" blue. The French blue can be like any other famous color - eleventy-twelve different hues out there. Bugatti blue is the same shade as a Gauloise cigarette pack. The legend is that Mademoiselle Bugatti would walk out to the factory and pull out her pack of smokes and make sure the color was right on all the factory race cars. Bugatti blue is pretty consistent, all things considered. French blue is darker than Bugatti blue.