Model Cars Magazine Forum

Look what I found!!!!!!

Ben

good find ben!! they look just like them wabash's ya see goin down the road. have you found any measurements yet?

I tried calling the company but got an answering machine, I guess they're closed today. The one thing that has me a little doubtful is the wheel/tires. They look like the ones from a New Ray 1/32 truck or a Testors 1/28 truck?

I tried calling the company but got an answering machine, I guess they're closed today. The one thing that has me a little doubtful is the wheel/tires. They look like the ones from a New Ray 1/32 truck or a Testors 1/28 truck?

Which they may well be. Model railroad "G" scale can range from 1/22 to 1/32. Give or take a few points. I'd want measurements before I plunked down my cash.

These look really familiar. I think my LHS (JR Junction) has them in stock. If they are the same ones (and I think they are) they are about 1/32. If you'd like me to, I can head down there later this week & check them out.

As was state above, "G" can mean a number of different things. Their is "G" scale and "G" gauge. It can mean different sizes based on the manufacturer being North American or European and even the same manufactures offer different "g" sizes depending on which line they offer. "G" can mean anywhere from 1/20.3, 1/22.5, 1/24, 1/27, 1/29 or 1/32 scales. The Aristo-Craft Road Railer series in the video above is listed by the manufacturer as 1/29th scale and I think it is actually closer to 1/32 scale from my estimation from seeing their models at a local hobby shop. furthermore, the trailers, in my opinion do not have the level of detail the 1/24th or 1/25th scale truck modeler would accept. Rudimentary suspension and wheel detailing. Unfortunately, the most detailed model railroad semi trailers I have seen have been the Model Power 1/24th scale 40 foot trailers and they are lacking in our standard of detail.

Nice try Ben, but as of yet the only, some-what modern, North American styled 1/24th or 1/25th scale semi trailer model currently available to us, not counting the old Ertl and AMT kits is the Italeri American 48 foot reefer kt. You can always massively correct that kit or totally scratch building a trailer.

Hopefully if we keep badgering Italeri and our new friend, Moebius Models, they will capitulate and offer us that 53 foot semi trailer we all need to make our tractor models complete!

Check out his incredible Intermodal "G" scale train layout!

Speaking of modern trailers, how modern & accurate is the Italeri 40ft Container Trailer? From just driving down the highway, it seems that 40ft containers are pretty common. In fact there is a Schnider driver that lives here in town that seems to always be hauling one.

Speaking of modern trailers, how modern & accurate is the Italeri 40ft Container Trailer? From just driving down the highway, it seems that 40ft containers are pretty common. In fact there is a Schnider driver that lives here in town that seems to always be hauling one.

The actually container is accurate and in scale. The Italeri 20 foot containers are accurate also. You will have to scratch build a North American trailer to haul them on.

Hopefully if we keep badgering Italeri and our new friend, Moebius Models, they will capitulate and offer us that 53 foot semi trailer we all need to make our tractor models complete!

Honestly, I'd bet Moebius will make us happy LONG before Italeri would!! :blink::blink:

The actually container is accurate and in scale. The Italeri 20 foot containers are accurate also. You will have to scratch build a North American trailer to haul them on.

I agree with Chucky on the accuracy and scale, Jim. I have one sitting behind my Volvo VN.

HPIM1522.jpg

I don't agree with Chucky that you need to scratchbuild a trailer for them, unless of course Chucky was meaning just the 20 footers. I modified the 40 footer's frame to American specs, because the box art is deceiving, it shows a regular tandem on the box, but the kit actually has a spead axle setup. I modified the rear springs by using the slider under the AMT Freuhauf (since the container chassis also has Freuhauf on the side of it) flatbed as a guide and it was as easy as cutting the front axle and moving it back.

HPIM2160.jpg

I also used the AMT flatbed's 5 spokes for the wheels.

HPIM2161.jpg

Lastly, to finish the American mods, I moved the kingpin forward to move the trailer out of the back of the cab. I set it originally to go with the VN, and set it fifth wheel wise as I always set my 1:1s, so the nose of the trailer is even with the front quarter fenders. This pic shows how far I moved the kingpin, and the tip of the pen shows the original location.

HPIM2159.jpg

The only thing I still have to do is add some correct American style taillights, and maybe if I get brave, I may move the landing gear forward some, too!! :blink:

HPIM2162.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread! :blink:

Jim, the container trailer is pretty accurate as far as the box goes. As to the frame, it's a European version.

If you go to the website for Cheetah Chassis, they have some nice line drawings of the chassis with measurements if anyone wants to try it.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Thatks for the tips on the Italeri Container Trailer. I think it would look good behind the LoneStar. Now I just have to find one at a reasonable price. One day!

Yes, I agree. As for a new modern trailer kit, I think Moebius will come through long before Itlaeri or Revell does.

• 3 years later...

Highway: Did you ever finish the container chassis? Any New Pic's? Thanks

The only thing I still have to do is add some correct American style taillights, and maybe if I get brave, I may move the landing gear forward some, too!! :D

HPIM2162.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread! :lol:

Yes, more than likely being aristocraft they are actually 1/29th scale, for anything near 1/24th and 25th, the closest you will get is USATRAINS and Bachmann, I have 2 antique rail cars from bachmann I will be putting in a really cool diorama......Once I stop being lazy....all G scale trai n s use the same size track.....that's all they have in common.

Chad

• 6 years later...
On 8/30/2014 at 4:57 PM, Rign14 said:

Highway: Did you ever finish the container chassis? Any New Pic's? Thanks

The only thing I still have to do is add some correct American style taillights, and maybe if I get brave, I may move the landing gear forward some, too!! :D

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/highway76/model%20picutes/HPIM2162.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread! :lol:

Nice work on this conversion! I've just started a similar project, looking at making the chassis look more local but it doesn't have to be totally correct for me, not much of the skeleton is visible with a container on it. Thanks for the tips!

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Looks like we're all thinking alike. 

I too have modified my container trailer. Moved the wheels back and closed up the space between, to create a reasonable facsimile of an North American container trailer.

And mine is behind a Volvo VN as well.

I'd love to see your Volvo and trailer