Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren F1 Team Official

Martin Whitmarsh(the new McLaren team pricipal)has said that team driver Lewis Hamilton couls tie or even break Michael Schumacher's record of championships.Any thoughts or comments?

I believe this will be a very interesting year for F1. Everybody has had some time to get the feel of the new set up. BUT they don't really know how they are going to work in traffic or bad weather.

So IMHO, this year could yield some surprise winners. LH is a capable driver and needs to settle his emotions in certain situations. Massa is possibly in his last year or two of having a real shot at the WDC. He has become a steady and solid opponent for everyone on the grid. Kimi ...who knows what this year holds for him. I guess it depends which Kimi shows up this year. Fernando, Kubika, and the rest will have thier shot this year too.

As far as LH equaling or surpassing MS...I don't think so. MS won titles in a couple of years where Ferrari was the class of the field head and shoulders above the rest. (not knocking his tallent) But I just dont see McLaren being able to place themselvs that far above thier rivals in the next 5-6 years..... Unless Ferrari quits.

Edited by purplehornies

It took almost 50 years for someone to break Fangio's 4 in a row. I think it will be almost impossible to break Schumi's 5 in a row. There is way too much competition these days for any one driver to be that dominant. Besides there is only a handful of any kind of race car driver to win 7 championships in their given series.