Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

Bill, as you know in another thread where you replied to me and gave me very very kind comments on my one build and I replied back to you, I been following this build basically from day 1 and you and this build are the ones that really inspired me to do what I am doing on the '69 Charger build that I am working on. You really push the bar on this project to new heights my friend. I am always checking in to see if you made any updates or not as I love the work you done on this project. Keep up the very great work and keep the progress updates coming!

I'm so jealous on so many levels. This build is crazy!! I've looked multiple times and still amazed at the work and craftsmanship you have put into this build. Keep it up!!

James I appreciate you keeping up on this build

Oh heck yeah! Just keeps getting better!

thanks Hugh

Oh no you got the travel alllll wrong it should move another. 000006" now you have to tear it all apart and redo it.............im joking im kidding bill your work is amazing ...im almost tempted to kidnap you and make you build my mo dels just so I can claim i did all the work. I can't wait for the next installment

thats what I keep telling myself Derek! you don't happen to live in Hawaii do ya? ;)

Unreal Bill, True Craftsman my friend.

thanks so much Joe!!

Bill, you raise the bar so much higher with each update that I'm getting a nosebleed just watching......awesome work buddy!

I'm just trying to have fun with this, so far so good, thanks man

Everytime I check in I'm once again amazed,.........I don't even know what to say....wow!??

thanks Paul

are you sure your not a robot?

uhhh, I think so

Simply marvelous, Bill!!!!

thanks so much for checkin in Dirk!!

Man!! I didn't want it to end!! LOL First time I am seeing this. I started last night and had to go to bed, just finished tonight and am just floored by your work here. Phenomenal Man!! Love it!!

really appreciate it Ron

Just keeps getting better!

thanks for looking in Chris

This build is so awesome! I am always looking and showing it to my co-workers...cant wait to see it when its all done

thats cool Dave, thanks

Bill...Bill...Bill....... your killing us. Absolutely amazing..... Thank you.

thanks so much John!

at this point its really becoming insane detaile wise .. just pure fun and inspriration following this thread

waighted a few updates before replying again but here is my shout about ......... :lol:

thanks bro

Bill, as you know in another thread where you replied to me and gave me very very kind comments on my one build and I replied back to you, I been following this build basically from day 1 and you and this build are the ones that really inspired me to do what I am doing on the '69 Charger build that I am working on. You really push the bar on this project to new heights my friend. I am always checking in to see if you made any updates or not as I love the work you done on this project. Keep up the very great work and keep the progress updates coming!

thats very kind of you Jim, will do, thanks

simply over the top bill! incredible skills!

i just don't have time to go through all 46 pages so, can you tell me what front suspension you're planning on building?

again, simply over the top!

hey Dave , first of all thanks for looking in! originally I wanted to do a double A arm, but with out redoing the left header (which I'm not going to do LOL) there isn't enough room for an upper control arm, so I am going with a strut type suspension, again there is clearance issues with the way I have the headers, A smart person would build the chassis first and build the drive train araound it like in the real world, but I wanted a certain look on the engine and decided to build the chassis around the egine :huh: but I plan to come off the frame with a loop to the top of the strut back down to the frame and not to the fire wall like most, I have seen this done on a few applications and being a street car and not a full blown drag car, more like a Cuda that has been back halved, I am not building it to NHRA standards I'm sure, But I do want to try and make every thing as functional as I am capable, it is just taking a lot of time to figure and make all of the components, I do want it to look a certain way, like it belongs and not just squeezed where it would fit, thanks Dave

made a little progress on the front suspension finally, here is what I came up with for the lower ball joints and control arms, I turned some brass on the lathe and made a cup to accept 00-90 bevel headed bolts, the head of the bolt fits the opening of the cup, the hole where the bolt goes through is slightly bigger than the threads which allows it to pivot in all directions ( like a ball joint)

IMG_1514-vi.jpg here is one of the front struts with the ball joint attached with a rubber boot

IMG_1516-vi.jpg lower control arms with the cups soldered in place

IMG_1518-vi.jpg I had to add another cross member in front of the existing one to accept the lower control arm mounts, here they are in place,the rack and pinion will be attached to this all so on the back side

IMG_1519-vi.jpg

IMG_1520-vi.jpg

IMG_1521-vi.jpg here is what the finished product will look like, aluminum disks will cover the bolt head, thanks for looking!

I have a question on your suspension design. I see you have the lower control arms swapped around in two different pictures. Are the open cups supposed to face down, and the 00-90 bolts screw up into the struts and get capped on the bottom? In the bottom picture the open cups face UP, or reversed. Just trying to clarify which end is up, or down ....

Otherwise, carry on with the awesomeness.