Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making Door & Hood Hinges

Hey Dr., I need a prescription for one of those half round pliers. Where can I find one?

Donn, those are called chain - nose pliers most good toolmakers or jewelers supply stores have them...I reccomend "box Joints"...you will feel the difference

And Doc...those are "clothes" pins.........:D :D :P .......they are for clothes!!!!!:):lol:

Edited by Stasch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I could have used that tut before I put such big ugly hinges on my 41 chevy pick up. Made the back of the cab really unsightly and the hinges make it look toy like. I agree with everyone else that they do not resemble anything in the real car/truck world. DSCN2241.jpgHopefully for my next build will be able to use this idea. To late to start over. Like everyone else, will be looking forward to your tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing cant wait either....

Edited by Darren B

Need hinges for coups roadsters. I tried this....R/C model airplane hinges from the wings. The plastic is of a differenr materal,so you'll have to use super glue,or slow drying CA.Do NOT get any on the hinge pin ! found that out the hard way. this is on my 36 Ford.

IM000359.jpg

Now a close-up. If you look close you can see the front of the hinge that I run it through a slot through the cowl,and glued it to the firewall. It's covered up by the hood.

IM000672_edited.jpg

Worked well on this also. Better than those small ones in this kit.

IM001155.jpg

Not finished yet, but soon.

Cool I have a few more projects ready to start but before i cut the body panels want to make sure i can use a more realistic style hinge. One thing i was thinking of is that for trunks the wire hinge isnt to far off for looking ok. As looking at my trunk hinge its pretty close, but not for the doors...

Edited by Darren B

This may offer "realistic operation" but how on earth would this look realistic on a model? A thick piece of styrene with a hole and a wire pin passing through it? What about the unsightly gap of the inner door panel and door skin? The gap looks huge?