Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just got this kit from a friend, he bought it on evilbay some years ago for $70, never built because the kit has some issue, the roof is to low, tons of flashing to clear on the chassis, and some other odd stuff. So for him was not worth the price. He want to trash all, the box that came with the kit is gone already, I was able to save this kit bought it for $10, only because I like Jeep. :)

Before start to build it, I would like to know if someone already had experience with it that can tell me what on the kit need to be corrected.

The chassis looks rubberish, it bend easily, so I think is better replace it with a CJ5 AMT chassis.

Other ideas are welcome!

img7935ul.jpg

First, I'm jealous. ^_^

The AMT CJ5 (Daisy's, etc) does have a good bit of flash to clean up, but once you do it's actually a pretty nice kit. Looks like that might be what you have there for the chassis? Hard to tell from that pic. If it's resin copies of the same, I think I'd grab the AMT kit and just have at it, even if the roof is too low. Should build into a real nice model with a little effort.

If you want to take a look, I've got build pics of my CJ5 on my fotki (link in sig).

l had a 1:1 '75 Postal Jeep years ago. Had a friend with 1000's of AMC hi-po parts. Our plan was to make a mini rail drag/show car out of it & call it "Goin' Postal!". l sold out to him & last l heard he had abandoned the project. l think it would be fun to build in 1:25 as well! lf you did, the roof wouldn't be too low, lol! Bart.

@Gluehead, The chassis here it is way worse than the AMT stuff. I decided to build it any way, I don't want use a chassis from another kit, but after I clean the chassis, align it little bit, and start to glue the shocks, I notice that the front shocks are too long... So It is better use an AMT chassis, at least it is nice and straight.

Here the flashing on some parts. The rest of the parts except the chassis looks not to bad.

img7934d.jpg

Here the chassis/shocks...

img7937td.jpg

@Bartster, cool! I saw only one a Postal jeep dragster in 1/1, probably you should buy it back and build it! I though to build it as dragster because of the roof, but, I prefer have it stock... :)

@Casey, ok thanks. I will check it out, and ask if the kit come with exhaust and bumpers, because the kit I have doesn't have those parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here the "new" chassis out of a AMT Willys MB. It needs some modifications but is a great base to start. Another good reason to swap the chassis, is that the axles on the chassis that come with the kit are too narrow!!! :( The rear tires will touch the inside of the fender and not the axle! :angry:

Another issue is that the chassis sit too forward on the body, it needs to move back little bit, so also the tires are centered on the fenders.

Fortunately I check it out before start to glue those parts... :)

Here the new chassis...

img7949vi.jpg

I opened the front windshield little bit, so now it doesn't looks a chop top anymore! But it looks more real... :)

Before... :wacko:

img7940vi.jpg

And after... :lol:

img7947vi.jpg

Next I cut the roof, I will glue it back little higher, this will remove the chop top style... :)

img7941vi.jpg

The dashboard is from a Jeep CJ, that is wrong on a Jeep DJ5 (postal Jeep). The Postal Jeep has a very simple dashboard, no glove box, no instruments panel... Pretty flat and simple... When I put it on place, something was weird... :rolleyes:

img7942vi.jpg

Because I'm lazy, I did not want adjust the dashboard, so I build a new one... :D

img7945vi.jpg

Soon other progress... :)

I'm glad you are working on this. I love these little Jeeps and miss seeing them here in the US. Looks like lots more work than I'd be willing to put into the job.

Last year I saw one still on duty! If not the other I saw were converted into ice cream truck. :)

There is tons of works to do, it is better scratch build it from zero, you will spend the same time than fix this one... :)

Here some other progress...

Both of the door trim/stop, need to be moved forward.

img7938vi.jpg

Here where it should be.

img7939vi.jpg

Here roof attached in position and also the trims. Some body work done... :)

img7950vi.jpg

@Casey, you are right, it is made by MCRC... The guy find the box and gave it to me. :)

Some progress...

The front grille that came with the kit need some modifications... I already cut the headlight bezel, way too big, and they don't have the bezel. The DJ-5 was a simply basic working Jeep.

Here the grille... The slots are to narrow, and the two on the sides should be shorter.

img7972vi.jpg

Removing the central part...

img7973vi.jpg

And here the new central part glued in place, still need some finish work...

img7974vi.jpg

I think to paint it like the first models, in a two tone color, blue and white with a red stripe. The kit has the red stripe, so I though, cool! I can use it and don't paint it. But I check it and the two red stripes on the kit are to short!!! shocked.gifangry.pngangry.pngangry.png You can use them only on the side of the Jeep, leaving the rear "naked"...

Same if I paint it like the "newer" Jeeps, in white, the stripes that came with the kit goes only on the side of the model and nothing in the back... lipsrsealed.png

nice work fixing the height of the roof.......this thing had a TON of flash on it! i can see why you had it so long before you started on it........it would have discouraged me too!

nice work so far, keep `er goin!

cheers

bryan

Thank you! The guy that sold it to me had it for a long time and did not build. I just got it, less than a month ago... :) Thanks to the moral support from you guys and guys on another forum it keeps me motivated on the build.

Great job so far on a great subject.I'm sure this will turnout as a masterpeice like your other builds.

Thank you Austin! Will see how it came out. :D

I was able to do some little progress progress.

The doors that came with the kit are wrong.

First they go on top of the rail that is on the body, they should go under it. I will take picture of it.

Second the shape of the driver door, that is cud diagonally. Never exist on a stock Jeep.

Third, the thickness on the window mounting on the door... Fix those doors would take forever, so it was easy for me make my own. :)

img7984vi.jpg

Here the newer doors.

img8093vi.jpg

Last think I made is the vent cover.

img8087vi.jpg

I was able to do some work on it...

Add some details in the interior, dome light, air vent, taillight housing, door frame and small body work.

img8095vi.jpg

Made two mirrors and bracket. The little square one is the rear view mirror, the round one will go on the front fender, so they can see the front bumper, the other one will go on the "passenger" side. This last one I built only the bracket, the mirror is a modified one from my part box. :)

img8090vi.jpg

Finally the rolling chassis... The chassis is the AMT, I built the front and rear bumper (The "Kit" come without bumpers) and modified the transmission plate so the inline6 will fit the AMT chassis. The AMT chassis is built for have only the 4 cylinder with manual transmission.

The engine that come with this kit is not to bad at all, I think it is based on a inline 6 Chevy. I only modified a few thing so it looks more a AMC engine. :) Another thing missing on this kit is the exhaust!!! So I had to build it. :) I did not attache the fan yet. :)

img7986vi.jpg

Also the kit doesn't have carburetor... ::) But there is air filter... ;D

img7975vi.jpg

The air filter had the "hose" too short. Here made it longer...

img7977vi.jpg

The other side... The kit give you the possibility to put a power steering system, I didn't put in this Jeep, because it is one of the first model.

IMG_7987-vi.jpg

thats so cool cant waight to see the body on that beautifull chassis and engine set up

Thank you!

Today I painted all the body, in three color, blue/white and a red stripe, like the old postal Jeep. The red stripe decal that came with the kit is only for the side, not the rear! so the only things was to paint it all... :) I will post pics tomorrow. :)