Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Models

Trekker4747

all done with in 6 weeks or soo? :)

They all look Great..

Nice works..

Well, looking it over closer to 8 weeks for all but Ecto-1 and the General Lee, those two I did quite some time ago. So the Ghia, KITT, Christine, the DeLorean, the Mustangs, Herbie and Mirthmobile were all done between now and some time in late May.

Edited by Trekker4747

Nice work. I have that Kitt car on my bench too. What did you use for the light?

You can buy one. If you've an Ertl/AMT kit it may not work for you the KITT kit I had was made by some Japanese company (Aoshima, I believe) that has the light as an add on. It's an LED circuit board and the kit is made to accept it with mounting holes for the scews and a hole for the switch.

Here's a link to a place that SELLS THEM, you may also be able to find it on eBay or other places around the net as I cannot vouch for that website (I only used it for an example/to show the light board.)

FWIW. The light comes on with all of the lights on for like half-a-second then it does the swooshing back in forth as in the show. (No sound.) I beleive there's around seven LEDs so it's a real nice effect.

Edited by Trekker4747

OK, then I'm the one...

Of what I can see in the very poor photos, is that the models leaving much to be desired would be an understatement.

Individual points of my criticism (based on what I can see in the photos):

Revell '08 Mustang: Paint looks very orange peel-ish to me, windows appear to be tinted with a paint brush, the model sits so high, it would do a SUV proud.

Revell 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible: Is the model actually painted? Looks very bare plastic. The front wheel has what appears to be a 20 degree camber. The windscreen (sorry, windshield) frame - what happened to it? The windscreen itself isn't clear.

Aoshima/Ertl Back to the Future DeLorean DMC-12 Time Machine: Is the 'urethane' front mask brush painted? Apart from the foggy windows, the model seems to be the best of the bunch.

Ertl 1958 Plymouth Belvedere painted to be Christine: Looks like it had a rather nasty shunt, the way the front bumper is crooked and the hood barely hanging on with its safety catch.

Revell 1969 Dodge Charger painted to be General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard: The pic is so blurry that I can hardly recognize it as a model of a Charger.

MPC model kit of a '76 AMC Pacer painted to be the "Mirthmobile" from the Wayne's World movie: Apparently no detail painting apart from the blotched rub strip on the front bumper. And what on earth happened to the hood?

Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia: Camber up front unrealistically negative, the model sits too high even for depicting a stock Karmann (judging by the paint choice it isn't meant to be) and where is the trim around the windows?

Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen Beetle painted and decaled to be Herbie from The Love Bug movies: It looks like it has severe reaction to the paintwork and what happened to the windscreen? Again, the model needs to be lowered.

Polar Lights 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance painted to be "Ecto-1" from the Ghostbusters: There is zero detailing to the front bumper and grille assy. The side pods of the headlamps aren't painted body colour as they should and the front wheels are too far outboard, i.e. the front track is too wide.

Knight Industries Two Thousand: Paint job looks like it has crazed and so does the windscreen. It sits too high for my taste too.

Sorry, but this is how the pics make them appear to me. Generally, I have the impression, the models were rather rushed together. Taking your time is what this hobby is all about. Not everyone has to be as slow as I am, but I know few modellers who can complete a model within a week and make it look good.

Edited by Junkman

Sorry I'm not freaking Model Master Picasso and I don't have $20,000 600 Gigabit HD-IMAX camera.

:lol:

I do this for fun and to kill time not to make people think I built a car from scratch out of tiny parts.

Clearly I should think twice about sharing my work here in the future.

Edited by Trekker4747

Brian;

Don't let someone elses harsh critique of your models keep you from posting. Some will do better, some will do worse, some like me just look at others and never seem to build there own! rolleyes.gif

Build for yourself and what you want to accomplish with building. Some won't build unless it to the best of their ability and everthing is absolutly perfect, that's what they want.

What part of KC are you located, I'm out in Shawnee.

I'm in Olathe.

Eh, I'm not worried about the guy's critiques. He can have his opinion but he could've been less, I dunno, harsh with them. Esp. The stuff about the blurry pictures with the camera, I mean it's the freaking camera's doing not though it's possible re-sizing them jumbled them up. So what? I think they look nice, couple others here said they looked nice. That's fine. I'm not making them to win prizes or make them look real I enjoy building them and they look good enough to me. As for the "orange peel" stuff. FWIW, I've yet to completely master buffing it out to perfect the finish on the model as I'm getting back into the hobby after a several year hiatus and the buffing/finish stuff I was never good at perfecting.

Sorry, it's only that I fully second what is being discussed in this thread:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33548

I'm also not subscribing to the retreat of reason in lieu of political correctness.

You should continue using this forum, it is a wonderful opportunity to improve our building skills. Actually it is the best one I have ever found. And it is absolutely free!

Sorry, it's only that I fully second what is being discussed in this thread:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33548

I'm also not subscribing to the retreat of reason in lieu of political correctness.

You should continue using this forum, it is a wonderful opportunity to improve our building skills. Actually it is the best one I have ever found. And it is absolutely free!

Fine and good. Now learn what constructive criticism is as opposed to just being a jerk.

I wrote exactly in which aspects I think the models could do with improvement. And entirely btw., cameras which can make clear and decent pictures are available for less than 50 Dollars.

Edited by Junkman

I wrote exactly in which aspects I think the models could do with improvement. And entirely btw., cameras which can make clear and decent pictures are available for less than 50 Dollars.

No what you did was act like a big jerk walking up and kicking over sand castles and saying, "I did it because it looked like ######."

There's constructive critcism and then there's being an ass.

For example. In stead of whinging abount orange peel and pointing it all out how about being, I dunno, nice and saying something like, "Looks okay but I see some orange peel in the paint. To prevent that you should try doing this..."

And then offer suggestions on how to correct it. Instead of being a disocuraging jerk.

You offer nothing, you just come in offer strong critcism and left feeling proud of yourself. Congratualtions. You're so great, awesome, and special in your tearing down of an amature modeler. I'm sure some of the first models you ever did looked TEH AWESOME! After your first try.

Aren't you so great! You so perfect just simply saying something makes a persom gleam from the osmosis of your awesome to do it better.

Stuff it.

And, sorry, about the pictures. I did the best I could with what I have. It's sort of hard to buy something as useless as camera when you've got a stack of medical bills to pay off from having brain surgery three months ago. Sorry I let the Great God of Model Building down.

Fine and good. Now learn what constructive criticism is as opposed to just being a jerk.

Well, I think this comment just reinforces what's being discussed in the other "heaping praise" thread. Chris is only trying to be constructive. And while I do everything I can to support modelers who could use some tips, I agree with him in most cases, but not all.

Anyway, you may find that better photos can lead to better responses. Don't blame the camera. Back off for a wider shot, which will result in a sharper picture, then take your shot and crop into it tighter before you post. And try to increase the light level.

By the way, I agree in part with your statement:

"For example. In stead of whinging abount orange peel and pointing it all out how about being, I dunno, nice and saying something like, "Looks okay but I see some orange peel in the paint. To prevent that you should try doing this..."

And then offer suggestions on how to correct it. Instead of being a disocuraging jerk."

However, I do not agree about the jerk part and your childish whining about other things. There are certainly positive ways of stating criticism. But if you don't want comments, good or bad, don't post. It's as simple as that.

Let me just say one thing that your Mama may not have told you:

MIND YOUR MANNERS.

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks for the thread to the flashing lights for the KITT, I have wondered for years how to duplicate them since I am not actually an electronic engineer. (I DO know where the on/off switch is for the computer, other than that I call the son-in-law). :P

1. Sorry I'm not freaking Model Master Picasso and I don't have $20,000 600 Gigabit HD-IMAX camera.

:P

I do this for fun and to kill time not to make people think I built a car from scratch out of tiny parts.

Clearly I should think twice about sharing my work here in the future.

2. Eh, I'm not worried about the guy's critiques.

3. He can have his opinion but he could've been less, I dunno, harsh with them. Esp. The stuff about the blurry pictures with the camera, I mean it's the freaking camera's doing not though it's possible re-sizing them jumbled them up. So what? I think they look nice, couple others here said they looked nice. That's fine.

4. I'm not making them to win prizes or make them look real I enjoy building them and they look good enough to me.

5. As for the "orange peel" stuff. FWIW, I've yet to completely master buffing it out to perfect the finish on the model as I'm getting back into the hobby after a several year hiatus and the buffing/finish stuff I was never good at perfecting.

6. No what you did was act like a big jerk walking up and kicking over sand castles and saying, "I did it because it looked like ######."

7. There's constructive critcism and then there's being an ass.

8. For example. In stead of whinging abount orange peel and pointing it all out how about being, I dunno, nice and saying something like, "Looks okay but I see some orange peel in the paint. To prevent that you should try doing this..."

9. And then offer suggestions on how to correct it.

10. Instead of being a disocuraging jerk.

11. You offer nothing,

12. you just come in offer strong critcism

13. and left feeling proud of yourself.

14. Congratualtions. You're so great, awesome, and special in your tearing down of an amature modeler.

15. I'm sure some of the first models you ever did looked TEH AWESOME! After your first try.

16. Aren't you so great! You so perfect just simply saying something makes a persom gleam from the osmosis of your awesome to do it better.

17. Stuff it.

18. And, sorry, about the pictures. I did the best I could with what I have. It's sort of hard to buy something as useless as camera when you've got a stack of medical bills to pay off from having brain surgery three months ago.

19. Sorry I let the Great God of Model Building down.

Ad 1. I agree with you 100%. I'm not freaking Model Master Picasso myself. In fact, I am not even freaking. And I don't have a $20,000 600 Gigabit HD-IMAX camera either, because none of this is necessary to build decent models and take decent photos of them. I have already commented on this earlier and will again further down.

Ad 2. You certainly act like it though.

Ad 3. I disagree with you and them in that particular respect and have a different opinion.

Ad 4. Very few people here build models to win prizes. All do it because they enjoy it. But to strive to make them look as real as possible is the very definition of "modelling". Your choice to avoid to try to make them look real makes you unique in the modelling world and I admit that I wasn't prepared for someone with this mindset. A few intital explanatory comments in this respect would have been enough to change my outlook on the models you presented.

Ad 5. This is the single area where many modellers struggle most. There are well proven methods to overcome intital hurdles, which are published all over. If that doesn't suffice, ask a modeller whose paint jobs you like and you will not find a single one who doesn't tell you everything about his technique. I have seen and learned more about painting models here on this forum in a short period of time, than I did in the 30+ years before I joined.

Ad 6. Nonsense. I was sitting at my desk and commented on what I saw in the pictures you posted.

Ad 7. Truer words were never written. I critizised your models, all you do is critzising me personally for doing so.

Ad 8. Which fact exactly would have been changed by this?

Ad 9. Alternatively, you could ask.

Ad 10. I think this kind of judgement should be left to people who actually know me.

Ad 11. I know. Being honest is very commonly relagated to irrelevance nowadays. In reality it offers quite a lot, though, when you think about it. I'm one of the few left who dare to offer an honest opinion and now see what happens when I do.

Ad 12. This is in contrast of what you just said. You said I offer nothing.

Ad 13. Are you sure? I cannot recall having had that feeling.

Ad 14. I stand corrected, but I think there are very few professional modellers on this forum. I certainly am not, so what I said was from amateur to amateur.

Ad 15. No they didn't. But they improved tremendously, because I took critcism on board instead of slagging the criticisers and ignoring their citicism.

Ad 16. Engrishy, prease.

Ad 17. I do stuff tyres when they are too soft to support the weight of the model they go on. I use tissue paper. Does that count?

Ad 18. I cannot be held responsible for your physical condition, social status, or choice of living in a country which does not support public healthcare.

Ad 19. If you would stop this irrational ranting, you may find the time to think about who you actually did let down.

I have now taken the time to respond to each of your points of citicism regarding my person. Will you take the time and discuss my points of criticism regarding your models, or is this thread supposed to remain off topic forever?

Edited by Junkman

Ad 1. I agree with you 100%. I'm not freaking Model Master Picasso myself. In fact, I am not even freaking. And I don't have a $20,000 600 Gigabit HD-IMAX camera either, because none of this is necessary to build decent models and take decent photos of them. I have already commented on this earlier and will again further down.

Ad 2. You certainly act like it though.

Ad 3. I disagree with you and them in that particular respect and have a different opinion.

Ad 4. Very few people here build models to win prizes. All do it because they enjoy it. But to strive to make them look as real as possible is the very definition of "modelling". Your choice to avoid to try to make them look real makes you unique in the modelling world and I admit that I wasn't prepared for someone with this mindset. A few intital explanatory comments in this respect would have been enough to change my outlook on the models you presented.

Ad 5. This is the single area where many modellers struggle most. There are well proven methods to overcome intital hurdles, which are published all over. If that doesn't suffice, ask a modeller whose paint jobs you like and you will not find a single one who doesn't tell you everything about his technique. I have seen and learned more about painting models here on this forum in a short period of time, than I did in the 30+ years before I joined.

Ad 6. Nonsense. I was sitting at my desk and commented on what I saw in the pictures you posted.

Ad 7. Truer words were never written. I critizised your models, all you do is critzising me personally for doing so.

Ad 8. Which fact exactly would have been changed by this?

Ad 9. Alternatively, you could ask.

Ad 10. I think this kind of judgement should be left to people who actually know me.

Ad 11. I know. Being honest is very commonly relagated to irrelevance nowadays. In reality it offers quite a lot, though, when you think about it. I'm one of the few left who dare to offer an honest opinion and now see what happens when I do.

Ad 12. This is in contrast of what you just said. You said I offer nothing.

Ad 13. Are you sure? I cannot recall having had that feeling.

Ad 14. I stand corrected, but I think there are very few professional modellers on this forum. I certainly am not, so what I said was from amateur to amateur.

Ad 15. No they didn't. But they improved tremendously, because I took critcism on board instead of slagging the criticisers and ignoring their citicism.

Ad 16. Engrishy, prease.

Ad 17. I do stuff tyres when they are too soft to support the weight of the model they go on. I use tissue paper. Does that count?

Ad 18. I cannot be held responsible for your physical condition, social status, or choice of living in a country which does not support public healthcare.

Ad 19. If you would stop this irrational ranting, you may find the time to think about who you actually did let down.

I have now taken the time to respond to each of your points of citicism regarding my person. Will you take the time and discuss my points of criticism regarding your models, or is this thread supposed to remain off topic forever?

Do you walk around in the summertime sayin' "how about this heat?"?

Hello , I feel cheated not seeing your builds here . I am depraved of your projects . I am thick skinned when I post . I look forward to all types of criticitism when I put my builds up for comment . Please re-post and keep them coming . I don't post many responeses on this site . There is so much to see daily . Thanx .. B):(

FWIW:

Monitoring another thread around these parts it seems that the idea and consensus is that some think I was being granted a favor by having those comments issued to me in the most unconstructive way possible. Some even felt my work wasn't good enough to display.

Seems this is a place full of old men who're masters of their craft in this hobby. I'm a Jr. Varsity second-string football player in a Jr. High School team trying to play with the NFL. I'm clearly out classed and out of my league here.

Might be back, might not be. I've no problem with criticism, critique all you want but I do have a problem with attitude and presentation of those critcisms and if that's how an established poster treats a n00b then I don't think I want to know the kind of critiques I'd be served after being more rooted in this.... "community."

As I said there's criticism and then there's just being an [donkey].

It's one thing to say I need work, improve my skills, take more time, offer suggestions on things (I'm still trying to "master" buffing on some old/discarded bodies I have.) It's another thing to take my work and rip it to shreds as that poster did. It's like taking the first draft of someone's writting and ripping it up for minor grammar errors. We all have to start somewhere and those models, for now, represent the "best" I can do. The "Christine" model represented some of the most time I've spent on the model and the most work I've done on one to get the two-tone look of the roof/body and the body/fins. It was ripped up because it looked like the smoked glass was brushed on (it wasn't) and something to do with the hood's fit (which I've no idea it fits like that it sits flush with the fenders and the detailing chrome lines up, near as I can tell it's "supposed" to be like that).

So, whatever.

As I said, I may be back. I've got other issues IRL to work out first.