Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Model A Dry Lakes Highboy Roadster

Bernard Kron

DSCF2121-web.jpg

30's Style Dry Lakes '29 Ford Model A Roadster

(More pictures below)

Built for the "Real Hot Rod" community build project on the TRaK board, the goal of which was to create a realistic rusted or worn looking rod that was not over the top as in the current "rat rod" idiom. I chose to build a pre-war, 30's style dry lakes Ford '29 A roadster all dusted from running at El Mirage. Based on the AMT kit with the 4-banger block, Winfield head and exhaust system from the Revell '29 "Rat Rod" Roadster Pickup kit, carbs and manifold from the "Classics" issue (2002) of the AMT '29 Ford Model A Roadster kit which includes a lot of the old hop up parts from the original release, and AMT '32 Ford Kelsey-Hayes style wire wheels. The front tires at AMT Firestones and the rears are Modelhaus T-150B Commander '78 blackwalls. Paint is Duplicolor Maroon over a black base. Other than the hot motor, updated wheels and tire, and removing the fenders, running boards and lights, the car is stock Model A just like back in the day.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF2128-web.jpg

DSCF2129-web.jpg

DSCF2116-web.jpg

DSCF2124-web.jpg

DSCF2136-web.jpg

lakes-71-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

I love that period of racing and your car captures it very well.

One suggestion if I may?

SCTA required the cars to run hoods, and they were usually secured with straps. They ran over the top of the hood, one in front,one in back, and were secured to the frame.

I like to use two strips of masking tape painted leather brown.

I think it would add to what is already a spectacular little car.

G

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...