Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just because we can:Car to truck conversion.

Austin T

OK the rules are simple, the model must be a two door or 4 door hardtop that has been converted into a pick-up. Please no El camino's or ranchero's. Curbsides are OK,idea's should be original (Shouldn't be hard), I would prefer if everyone did a different car to truck conversion i.e. 2 people building the same model.It can be built factory stock,custom,beater,rat rod,derelict, apoc. style.The deadline will be New years day January 1st 2013.There are no prizes,judges,or losers.This is simply just to motivate people to be different.

Name and subject:

-Austin T-68' charger PU and drag boat

-CorvairJim-57 Chrysler 300-C

-Danno-PT Cruiser

-Badluck 13-Dodge Caravan

-Edsel-Dan-'58 Edsel ranchero

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Edited by Austin T

Can I use one that I already haved entered in another CBP? I started in on converting an AMT '57 Chrysler 300-C into a pickup for the "Parts Box" build over a month ago. The original 300 was used as a donor for my Jo-Han '60 Plymouth wagon that I'm building for the "Cannonball" CBP. The Chrysler will probably have the Plymouth's chassis and running gear, although I might try to find a better engine in the parts box for it.

What I meant by the no Ranchero/el camino's was the ones that kit companies make as a model and it's something that was real.Now if say someone wanted to base the 68 el camino off of something other then the Chevelle body style I would be fine with that because it would be a "phantom" (I think that's what there called)production car .I'm just trying to challenge us to think outside the box or just throw the box out the window.

....Okay what about a Dodge Caravan converted to a pick-up?they are titled as a car,something I started on awhile back,just have the body cut and this would give me motivation to finish,and if not acceptable,notta a problem at all...

Edited by Badluck 13

I can't promise how much I can do (No place to work now)

But here is a look at what I have so far. [i started this a few years ago]

The front clip is from the Modern Tool Pacer, the Ranchero clip is from

the black Chopped top issue.

58Edsel-Ranchero-rs.jpg

58Edsel-Ranchero-r.jpg

The roof is still attached to the Pacer front clip, the B pillars & rear window frame are Evergreen sheet & strip.

I simply copied the pillar from Revell's last Stock height roof Ranchero, and the frame from a PMC 59 Ranchero Toy issue

The Window frames, right, left & rear are held in with masking tape, the paper in the bed is the template for the side trim & inset/cove. So is the card board under the bumper mount.

Notice the Other EDSEL projects in the background !

I have to decide if I am going to replace the Door Pacer trim, or remove the fender piece.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Another way to pull off the Edsel-Ranchero build would be to splice in the old Revell '57 Ranchero's roof and inner pickup box to the 2000's AMT Edsel's body. The Revell kit comes up pretty often on eBay, and glue bombs can be downright cheap. Do you think there would be enough involved in this conversion for it to be acceptable in your CBP?

Another way to pull off the Edsel-Ranchero build would be to splice in the old Revell '57 Ranchero's roof and inner pickup box to the 2000's AMT Edsel's body. The Revell kit comes up pretty often on eBay, and glue bombs can be downright cheap. Do you think there would be enough involved in this conversion for it to be acceptable in your CBP?

I really like whats going on with the Edsel I think it's just fine.

I really like whats going on with the Edsel I think it's just fine.

I hadn't meant my comment as criticism. Frankly, I agree with you. I just thought it would be another way to go if someone else wanted to attempt the same sort of thing with more readily available parts. I'm anxious to see how Daniel's model turns out.

Meanwhile, here's a shot of where I stand on my Chrysler 300-based pickup:

DSCN6626.jpg

Edited by CorvairJim

The reason I did mine the way I am, is since Ford used the 2dr Ranch wagon to create the Ranchero

They used the tailgate area straight from that wagon'

If Edsel had also produced/offered a Ranchero They would have done the same.

They 58 Wagon Boomerang tail lights would have been used Not the winglet style of the passenger car.

Yea I know of at least one resin offereing of an Edsel Wagon or Ranchero with the standard Car tail lights.

But, How do they allow for the tailgate??

Did you know the 57-59 Ford Ranchero's all have the 2dr Ranch Wagon cargo floor Under the Ranchero bed??

I should have used this picture instead of the rightside. This one shows the cove/inset chrome inplace,

while the rightside pic only shows the lower fin being created

58EdselRanchero-Ls.jpg

On the wagon, and this Ranchero, the tips of the tail light line up with the fin tips. ie, Cove/inset chrome

surround

I kept the EDSEL tooling roof since the Revell Ranchero kit had such a drastic Chop to it..

I was guaranteed a Stock roof height this way

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Thats some pretty cool stuff Dan.Ok I've come up with a name and slogan for my build,The Dodge Conquistador:Venturing beyond.Is there any way I can get someone to make decals or photo etch for the badges?

Edited by Austin T

I have a theme for my 300 pickup as well - It's a factory "dream car" from the auto show circuit with all the oddities that the show car had: A Plymouth engine, for instance. It toured under the name "Westerner", as a play on the Chrysler "New Yorker".