Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car club failure....

The meet and greet for the SWFLA model car club was a "FLOP"..... There was only one person that attended "Thank you Randy" but Ken and Myself are not going to quit that easy.... There has to be more builders out here someplace.... we are going to try harder to get the word out there and reorganize another meet and greet..... "NEVER SAY DIE!!!!!"

post-9486-0-08332400-1335566342_thumb.jp

Guest Johnny

Have you thought of an announcement on a local radio station or two?

I know our local station do "public service" type of announcements for local groups and clubs.

Don't feel bad, you probably just need more promotion. We tried to have one here at the world headquarters for model airplanes,(AMA) when they offered us a free facility for two shows a year. The first show was pretty much just our club and a few other local builders. The second time we invited venders and may have had even a smaller turn out. The local hobby store helped promote some but, still not enough. We are now waiting for some other more organised group to take over. Do you Know of anybody? I think it just takes good leadership. Most of us just build models.

Operating a club is a big job. You don't make money in fact your often spending your own and donating all your time for free. It takes a different person to organize and "run" a club. I wish the best of luck to you fella's and you definitely have the right attitude in not giving up.

We run a model club in Winnipeg(Winnipeg Model Car Club) and its tough to keep it going. Hall rental, although we get Eastern Chrysler cafateria for meetings which I have the key to the dealership. Problem is when I cannot go or been out late the night before, I can't give the key to anyone. It makes for no meeting that month. Most of our members are not well to do people and really count on this day out. They are destitute/on welfare/disability/ or fixed income that can't afford much. We, four of us usually put money towards draw prizes etc to try and make some profit. Its hard doing it but I do my part for the guys who like the outing. We have no Roberts Rule for meetings and are very casual. Meetings are models on table/discuss models on table and BS after. We usually stay for two or three hours depending on attendence. We have 25 members on a full day with general attendance about 12-15 people. Its a fun time and I enjoy it most of the time.

That's a bummer, Mike. Keep putting the word out to try and get more people interested. Put up signs in local stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, hobby shops), make fliers and take them to shows (NSRA in Tampa in October). Let people here on the forum know about it. Worse case - come on up to Ocala and join FAST.

Mike, "It's NOT OVER till WE SAY it's OVER!!!!!" Keep on pitchin it,Mike. Run off some flyers an leave them wherever they'll letcha!!

If you gotta LHS, that's a GREAT place ta start! If you have an Aco or Ace Hardware store that provides a "Citizens bulletin board" you know, a sell.buy type of board, post them rascals there! Other than runnin an add in your local paper, word of mouth is the next best thing. MAYBE you can put an add in the "Social" section of you local paper announcing it. hth :D;)

Don't forget to come down to the Table Top Nationals in October and also send me the info on the club and I will post it on the Model Car Creations Facebook page we have a large following all over and some of the guys just might be in your area. We are more then happy to help you in anyway we can.

Mike , first, I'm not familliar with the geography of Floridia . still, there are automobile meusuiems , there are car shows , ( 1-1 ) , stores , ( auto- truck ) where someone can put out flyers . This is where you and a couple of DEDICATED helpers go into action!

Make Flyers that ask a question . You want to inform anyone who might be willing to just be a participant . Line up a back room in a resturant , a dining hall, a church, a community center , anywhere you can gather a couple dozen interested folks . Ask questions of the audience as to what they might want in a modeling club and DO IT! Find someone to do an "Outline Newsletter " these would be placed in both Hobby Shops and in Auto parts stores .

Once the word is out , continue to post a few complimentry Newsletters out so people who didn't get the word might see also . Look , Southern van council was formed out of a couple of beers and a couple of Vanners who felt that the Gulf Coast Vans wern't being represented in an organized way in the 1970's . I joined in as it was an inexpensive way to advertise my products to my audience ........... Ed Shaver

Don't forget to come down to the Table Top Nationals in October and also send me the info on the club and I will post it on the Model Car Creations Facebook page we have a large following all over and some of the guys just might be in your area. We are more then happy to help you in anyway we can.

Here's the FAST website http://fast.cybrarygoddess.com/

• 2 months later...

Most Hobby Lobby's have a classroom for various classes, maybe you can arrange to use it for meetings? Saturdays and Sundays are probably out but some week night (they close at 8 so you know you won't be out late!)

Sell it to the store manager that your group will be spending money on a weekly basis and I bet you will have no problems. You might even look into a "Make-n-Take" event once you build up the club, might even get the store manager to sponsor it!