Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting in hot weather?

In the summer here in Arizona those are daily conditions. What I do is to paint early in the morning like at 6 am and then let the paint "bake" in the garage. If I would try and paint say at 3 pm or so the paint seems to dry almost before it hits the plastic.

Should be fine, but it depends on a lot of factors. Paints will tend to 'flash' faster as the temperature climbs, so if you're airbrushing, a LITTLE more thinner MAY help paint flow out, depending on the material. You may also find you'll need to shoot your paint 'wetter', closer to the model and moving a little more slowly.

As always, TEST on something else BEFORE you paint your model, to make sure you know and understand how it's going to work. 65 to 80 deg. F is where I personally prefer to paint, so Ray's recommendation to do it in the morning if you live somewhere really hot is a good idea.

My better half went to work so I spread out a flat sheet and covered a few other items, laid down newspaper and stunk up the house. With air-conditioning and the help of a ceiling fan, the paint smell goes away in about three hours. I'll do it again tomorrow morning as I've got to clear-coat the painted body.

My better half went to work so I spread out a flat sheet and covered a few other items, laid down newspaper and stunk up the house. With air-conditioning and the help of a ceiling fan, the paint smell goes away in about three hours. I'll do it again tomorrow morning as I've got to clear-coat the painted body.

We have all at one time or another, had to work under those conditions. We won't squeal on ya. Go ahead and paint away.

Is it ok to paint in hot weather when humidity is low?

Some great answers already given and I would just add that you will get varying results depending on where you are painting. If it is in the garage like many of us, then early morning before a lot of heat builds in there and dust is generally less helps get a better result. While I haven't tried it yet, there have been a lot good things posted and written about using food dehydrators to help speed up the drying process and that could be a help.

I would like to get one and try it myself considering it is usually pretty humid here in NC for a good part of the year and anything that helps speed up the drying process is a benefit.

In the summer here in Arizona those are daily conditions.......

"Hot" being a somewhat relative term. Earlier this week when some weather was cooling things down a bit, I was thinking of putting on my long sleeve shirt. Can't say I've encountered problems with warmth & low humidity, but it is annoying to see the ol' stored bottle paint has turned into dry rocks....

post-12144-0-32285600-1374213563_thumb.j