Model Cars Magazine Forum

" Everything You Need To Know About Making Decals - Part 1 "

A.

I'll add these footnotes to further explain the process with some pics.

Additionally,

Here's how I make the Black cars with Clear InkJet Decals pictured above.

A stripped casting, filed and sanded then rubbed down with #3 Steel Wool.

PICT0005-1.jpg

Primered,

PICT0002-2.jpg

Based with House Of Kolor Shimrin White,

PICT0002-3.jpg

Then HOK SnowWhite Pearl,

PICT0004-2.jpg

Now the Magic,

See the Print Sheet I showed above of Clear InkJet Decals on a Black background,

Once I've drawn these templates (Black Backgrounds fitting the left and right sides, trunk, roof and hood) and saved them as files in PhotoShop, I can change the colored graphics on them to produce completely different cars.

Here's a WoodGrain Passion design. Remember, these are Clear InkJet Decals.

PICT0001-3.jpg

PICT0002-5.jpg

PICT0003-4.jpg

PICT0004-4.jpg

The HOK SnowWhite Pearl layer shines through the WoodGrain, Gold beveled trim and tiny individual Rivets (everything drawn on separate layers for editing).

This will give you a visual idea of why these decals are drawn this way.

Once I've applied the Decals and brushed Liquid Latex over the colored portions of their Graphics, all I need do is AirBrush the entire car with HOK Black and I get this,

PICT0005-3.jpg

PICT0004-5.jpg

(Scroll down for more)

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Here I've changed the background color from Black to Red.

I've also recreated the Roof, Trunk, and Hood WoodGrain Decals in new shapes to cover more area and fit the casting better.

The idea here is to AirBrush a Red that will match the background color of the Decals resulting in a solid Red paintjob just like the Black one.

PICT0001-5.jpg

PICT0002-7.jpg

PICT0003-6.jpg

PICT0004-6.jpg

PICT0005-4.jpg

PICT0006-4.jpg

Notice the edges on all the above "in progress" pics.

Using the sponges and most of all the 1/2" flat Nylon Artists Brush drives the Decal film completely down against the paint making it look painted on.

Using this brush can be the biggest factor in improving how you apply Decals.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

I use Rubber Mold and the whole beauty of my Black cars technique is you don't have to be exact when brushing it over the colored portions of the Decal image.

Because--

The car is going to be Black anyway.

You need only be sure to cover up all the colored pieces of the Decal image, you don't have to be perfect because you already have your Black background.

It only takes a minute or 2 to mask all the images by brushing on the Rubber Mold (or whatever liquid mask you choose).

I've used diluted and undiluted Elmers (White, Clear or Blue Gel), Silly Putty, Clear Museum Putty, 3 different Modelers Liquid Mask, and the easiest release Liquid Mask is Rubber Mold Liquid Latex.

I don't place prices of my cars on my websites because I build them Custom Order. Some people want more detail and some may want less.

The Black WoodGrain Passion pictured here sold for $75.

Here's a similar WoodGrain TailDragger that went for more because of the body mod for the BoneShaker engine stacks,

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0010-2.jpg

CadillacPat

Thank you for this tutorial. I will try to do my own decals in the near future.

Do you have experiences with laser printers? Is the procedure the same like with Inkjet or are there differences?

Before I had a Computer I went to Kinko's and had them copy images on Laser Decal Paper but I still AirBrushed a fixative over the sheet.

I've never printed with a Laser machine and some people say you don't have to seal Laser Decals.

I think a slight coat of Decal Fixative, whatever brand you choose, would make the thin layer of dye forming the image, a bit more resilient to handling and especially application.

If you go with a Laser you might try both ways, straight out the Printer, and coated with a Fixative.

I'm sure that the actual printing of an InkJet or Laser machine would be the same, just set for Glossy Photo Paper, Best Settings and hit Print.

But,

Never put Laser Decal paper in an InkJet Printer. The ink just pools up and runs.

Printing will be right after I show you how to Make and Size your images.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

• 2 weeks later...

Coming Soon------Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm writing a little "Familiarize yourself with Photoshop" piece for those that have PS but haven't used it and for those who have it but want to know more about using it.

Just a few steps showing the small number of PS tools we will use and what they can do.

This will all be written.

I think more detail and info can be shown in written word than a lot of stimmering and stammering on YouTube.

While some people create some decent scripted HowTo's on YouTube the most of it is inarticulate jibberish.

That includes all of YouTube, Models, Aquariums, Navajo inlay Jewelry, everything and anything you can think of!!!!

I taught myself PS by reading online PS Tutorials and practicing with the PS Tools.

This will all be very easy.

As I say in the next part, some people are intimidated by PS because it can do almost anything,

But,

You only have to use 5 or 6 of the PS Tools to make the kind of Decals I make, so you don't have to be concerned with 95% of PhotoShop capabilities.

CadillacPat

RetroGuy, just about any InkJet Printer will give good results.

Of course, some Printers produce printed images that are better than others.

You can get good inexpensive Printers anywhere.

Are you in the market for a Printer?

CadillacPat

I've been looking and comparing(this can drive you crazy,so many out there)for the last few days and still narrowing them down,

I'm on a fixed income and trying to get the most for my buck w/o going too cheap...

Edited by retroguy

Pat....when are you going to be publishing the rest of the tutorials? Have bought the materials you noted in the previous I, II & III, now waiting for the rest so I can get on with making my own decals.

Carl, I'm writing these for my own websites and since I'm not using Videos or screen captures the info needs to be precise for anyone to follow.

It takes longer but written words impart info that is easier to follow and retain.

When you add up the graphics I design and the runs of cars I create, plus walking Dixie everyday and every evening, there's not a lot of time left to write.

With all the misinformation on the Net about Decals I want to assure that anyone using my techniques is successful.

In the meantime why not elaborate on what you will be wanting to do with your Decals.

I can help you with what you intend to make.

Have you begun using your PhotoShop yet? That's the first step.

Stay tuned and ask all the questions you need to.

Hang with me, I'm working on a piece for the interim to get you going through the paces of PhotoShop.

Other websites that I have written for gladly increased the character limit on posting but I have asked repeatedly for such info here and never been answered. Go figure.

More than likely I will have to break up my Tutorials into pieces of a main post and several consecutive replies to try and maintain continuity.

When I post I will also enter links to where they can be read completely as one piece.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Pat,

Thanks for the speedy reply and update. Certainly understand that "priorities" dictate when things are likely to occur and don't mean to be nagging. My decal requirements are really pretty simple at this time.....some truck lettering and simple signage for starters. I am 72 and have a limited amount of money for modeling and so I try to keep it simple. I am learning CorelDraw for decal making as I found it to be much less costly than Photoshop. I am assuming that I will be able to accomplish everything that I need with CorelDraw. I am particularly interested in learning the best steps for printing, applying fixative and more importantly, decal application.

Now that I have a better understanding of your plans for future tutorials, I can patiently bide my time by building and absorb your tutorials as they are posted.

Carl

I just checked the price of Photoshop and Coraldraw...Holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Batman! Darn near gave me a fricken heart attack...There's got to be stuff out there that is more down to earth as far as price goes,that us poor people on fixed incomes might be able to afford...

Retro,

There's already a thread talking about other graphics programs, a few of them if you'll check past pages here.

This is about PhotoShop.

If you'll Google----- Graphics Programs------- I'm sure you'll find several of them.

As I have said, you may be able to get versions of PhotoShop free online.

I've used several graphics programs and discarded them all for PhotoShop.

I don't use Gimp, Foozle, Dingo, TontoFast or any of them.

You might post a thread over in Questions so we don't get this thread flooded with off topic graphics programs.

Maybe someone will write a Tutorial to explain it.

Follow along, and try to get one of those free versions of PhotoShop.

CadillacPat

Pat,

Thanks for all the great info! Would you be able to list the item or SKU of the decal paper that you recommend from papilo.com?

I don't want to purchase the wrong paper

Dennis

Absolutely Dennis,

The 10 pak Clear InkJet Decal Paper from Papilio.com is Item # 1AS8511K

The White, which there are uses for, is W1AS8511K

While there are uses for White it is a mistake to assume you can trim excess White Decal Paper from the edges of a printed Decal and achieve anything other than a grossly recognizable edge.

Choose the cheapest shipping offered.

CadillacPat