Model Cars Magazine Forum

--> NEW Police Car Kits ... your thoughts

I'm certain that this topic has probably been discussed before , but I'm too lazy to check ^_^ .

What kinds of new-tooling police cars would you like to see ? Also , should a civilian building option be included ? A taxi version ?

Here's what I would personally like to see :

- 1994-1996 9C1 Caprice

- 1999-2012 Crown Victoria

- 1971-1974 Coronet / Satellite A38

- 1975-1978 Monaco / Gran Fury (the B-Body versions)

- 1974-1977 Monaco / Royal Monaco / Fury

- 1978-1990 9C1 Caprice

- 1984-1986 LTD II

- 1971-1974 Matador

What additional kits would you guys like ?

The 94-6 was technically done. Revell tooled up the 91/92,

then converted the kit to the 94-6 Impala SS.

Classic Metal Works/Testor's has offered a few decal versions of the 99+ Crown-Vic.

Yes I would Like to see Revell return the Caprice Police parts to that kit.

And maybe offer it in more annuals from that era.

Of the others listed,, All but especially the Matador!!

But, How about a 71+ Satellite? Or even 66-67's or 68-69's!!

The Most Popular Police package of the time I do believe.

And Adam-12 used a 67 in the Pilot, 68 First season, 69 second & Third season,

71 four & Fifth seasons, and 73 Matador for the sixth through eighth seasons!!

What about ANY of the Ford Big-Bodies 60-71?? (Mayberry)

And we saw a few 67's & maybe 68's on Dragnet! Also saw a few 67 Dodge Coronets!

Fords were popular in San Francisco through the 80's!!

I would hope for Multiple options in Any new Police kit. Stock, Taxi/Other fleet service, and Multiple

Agency markings!

The only police sars that would interest me are the 74 Dodge Monaco so I could build the Bluesmobile, and a late 70's Nova (I just always thought that they were interesting cars). I would want the unmarked Concours version. Four door Z/28.

Might go for a mid 80's Crown Vic to convert into a wagon. Family truckster!

Edited by Craig Irwin

I would love to see 1999-2012 CVPI in plastic form, yes there are die-cast, but I am model builder :lol: , I do have a few CVPI diecast though

Current Ninth Gen Impala 2006-2014 9C1/9C3

Current Dodge Charger 2011-

Current Ford Interceptor 2012-

Current Chevy Caprice 2006-presnet PPV version (US)

A current SUV, either Ford Expedition or Chevy Tahoe

1974 Dodge Moncao

1982-1991 Ford LTD Crown Vic, more so a 1990-1991 version

Mid 80's Caprice

'm certain that this topic has probably been discussed before , but I'm too lazy to check ^_^ .

What kinds of new-tooling police cars would you like to see ? Also , should a civilian building option be included ? A taxi version ?

Here's what I would personally like to see :

- 1994-1996 9C1 Caprice

- 1999-2012 Crown Victoria

- 1971-1974 Coronet / Satellite A38

- 1975-1978 Monaco / Gran Fury (the B-Body versions)

- 1974-1977 Monaco / Royal Monaco / Fury

- 1978-1990 9C1 Caprice

- 1984-1986 LTD II

- 1971-1974 Matador

What additional kits would you guys like ?

I would love to see 1999-2012 CVPI in plastic form, yes there are die-cast, but I am model builder :lol: , I do have a few CVPI diecast though

1974 Dodge Moncao

Mid 80's Caprice

All the above.

The kits should have a civilian/taxi option as well. It's ok to model a higher trim level as so many departments used them. I think it's easier to sand a good molded level of trim off, than to add something attempting to replicate the original.

G

I would like to see a 93-02 B4C Police package Camaro..

Hey Revell are you listening? :wacko:

Take your 93 Camaro Z/28 snap kit and add the B4C Police package and engine and take your 02 Camaro SS kit and make a 98-02 Camaro

with the B4C Police package and engine..

With Police Agency, State Trooper decals of course..

Hear me out Revell make it happen PLEASE? :wub:

The Revell 57 Ford custom was already announced as coming

in a Police issue. Thanks to Model King no less.

The Jo-Han Fury was a 68.

I too would love to see that retooled. But this time, Make the California department decal One

that Actually used the Big body Plymouth!!

LAPD used the Mid-size Belvedere/Satellite!!!

1969 Dodge Polara CHP Cruiser

As with big rig builders, police car modelers are rarely blessed with new subjects, and the few released were either simplified designs and retools or marketed towards youth, sometimes including questionable and costly extras.
Only one kit sticks out and then it's an old tool whose current existential status is unknown, namely the old Jo-Han Plymouth Fury, which was on the market for decades.
I firmly believe that police car modelers will lay the green on the counter for a detailed cruiser because they almost always had to rely on aftermarket companies to make a convincing model.

The 1969 Dodge Polara is widely known as one of the all-time favorite cruisers amongst officers who were active during the 60s-70s. It is also listed as the fastest cruiser of the time, even surpassing the 94-96 Caprice LT1s. The 1969 Polara equipped with a 440 4bbl was officially clocked at 147mph in tests.
It was basically a 4 door muscle car, which sat on top of the food chain eating GTOs, Chargers, Challengers, 'Cudas, Chevelles, Camaros and Mustangs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just the kit we need for keeping the tablecloths of America's contest tables free from tire burns! In fact, anyone who collects and/or builds muscle car kits must have at least one, just to keep his collection intact.

Finding a pristine example will not be a problem in this case, because Hemmings "Muscle Car Machines" Magazine recently did a restoration feature on one. Likewise for someone to measure and photograph it, because it's in Tom Montgomery's (Former Amt/Ertl kit designer) back yard!
Body: Four-door body of course with fine and sharp engraving (Don't you love the window surrounds on a late 60s Jo-Han annual?) and without heavy molded-in features. For example, a dome light which can lead to a sink mark in the roof, which the modeler has to fill and sand. Small ridges and holes where to drill in the roof for roof mounted emergency lights will do.
Because this car has seen service in many agencies, it would be handy to either offer the side moldings as separate metal transfer pieces (like Galaxie LTD's 1948 Chevrolets). This may not be feasible and could be a possible giveback when running into budget issues, but since it's a thin molding to begin with, it probably can be sanded off with relative ease when molded-in.
The body closings will only consist of the hood dressed up with a separate lip* and hinges, in case the builder wants to show off the engine.
The following items round up the body assembly: firewall, inner fenders (as with Amt '68 RR), radiator brace, side mirror(s)*, door handles*, front bumper* with separate grille* (to ease the detail painting) with clear headlamp lenses, rear bumper*, tail lamp-surrounds* with a perimeter flange to reinforce them and provide a gluing surface to mount them into the body and provide a stop for the rear bumper, and clear tail lamp-lenses of course (* indicates chrome part).
Interior: The plain-Jane base level trim all around interior, would be a sort of snap-fit platform style, minimizing the risk of getting glue in unwanted places.
Consisting of a floorboard with a two piece dash, steering wheel and column with molded-in selectors, separate pedals, two piece bench seat, separate rear seat with package tray (flashed over holes for mounting the two CHP flashers), separate door panels to allow for easy detailing. Police radio set-up for the transmission hump. It can be similar to the Jo-Han Plymouth set up, as that was very accurate. However, having separate pieces for the radio, siren control and switches would be great so that different set-ups can be configured by the builder. Two detailed microphones are needed; there was only one in the Jo-Han kit which was incorrect for the set-up.
Chassis and drivetrain: Breakdown similar to AMT’s 1957 Chrysler 300 or their 1960 Galaxie kit, 440 4bbl (what else!) with Torqueflite 727 Auto Trans. This police engine was rated at 375 HP. Kit should include two air cleaners, one stock and one low restriction. The low restriction is the police unit, and is similar in design to the one in the Lindberg 1964 Dodge 330 kit. It's actually referred to in the Dodge literature as an "unsilenced" air cleaner. Separate chassis, heavy duty rear end, dual exhaust, and front and rear sway bars round out the chassis. Wheels: two sets...one needs to be correct steel wheels with dog dish hub caps of correct vintage. I'd include a base series full hubcap as an option for those doing a standard sedan. Tires need to be a beefy vintage blackwall, Goodyear Polyglas or similar. The ones AMT has been using for years are actually pretty good.
Accessories: Here's where it gets tricky. The Jo-Han Plymouth was actually a great kit for the roof lights alone. They were extremely accurate and looked the part. This kit should be done with that in mind, optional roof light set-up* for multiple agencies. Spotlights* for both sides are a must. Two styles of beacon lights, one like the Jo-Han, which is a Federal model 176H and one a flat top 4 beam (Federal 184, Dietz 211 or similar). The roof bar with twin beacons would be nice too. That's a Federal model 11, with optional chromed siren speaker in the center. I'd use the rounded speaker (like the speaker on the Adam-12 car) instead of the flat wide style in the Jo-Han kit. Since electronic sirens were just becoming popular, it would still need an old mechanical siren for under the hood as another option. To round it out, about six flashers of different sizes, 2 small, 2 medium, 2 larger, all single faced. These could be used for rear deck flashers, front grille flashers, optional light bar flashers, etc.
Now the most important necessity for all of these lights: MOLD ALL OF THEM IN CLEAR PLASTIC. Not red, not blue, not a mix... CLEAR. This allows the builder to tint them accordingly to the agency that's being represented.
The push bar would be a preformed pre-painted metal assembly, to keep it in scale and robust
Agency decals: I'm sure licensing and permissions are in order here. But it shouldn't be too bad, considering Hawk/Lindberg is issuing about 6 different state agencies in their reissue of the 1996 Crown Victoria. A CHP version is a must, this would negate the need for roof lights, too, as they ran most of these with no roof lights and dual spotlights, the driver's side being red. The CHP would also have two flashers, one red and one amber, on the back package shelf, both on the left side, facing rear. However, the 1969 Polaras were used all over the country, and offering different versions or including different agencies in the one kit (like the Jo-Han Plymouth) would be great.
The tooling could be used for modified reissues of any C-body MoPar from 1969-77 as the chassis were virtually unchanged except for the yearly addition of annual emissions upgrades (or downgrades, if you will). The ultimate choice would be the 74 Monaco for its wide use in movies (Blues Brothers) and its very wide use in police and taxi work.

- Box-Art: I really like the way Sean Svendsen handled the Model King box designs of the ’70 Wildcat and Camaro Funny Cars. He really knows how to present a built model, so I would put him in charge of that (hopefully his fees are reasonable). for the box top however, I also like the art work of Jairus Watson and know he would do a good job of a CHP unit burning sideways (showing off the "Wolfs Head" graphics on the door) through a corner on Mulholland drive, in hot pursuit of some bad boys.
The size of the box would be like the "Accurate Miniatures" Corvette kits, to show off the artwork and the neatly displayed contents when removing the box top.
- Packaging of the parts: chrome, clear parts, tires, packed separately in poly bags, same for the white plastic parts, decals by Cartograph covered with a protective paper and bagged too.
- Instruction sheet: I like the approach AMT/ERTL took in the mid 1990s, which was very detailed and every part was clearly identified.
- Consumer support: On our company website I would post a whole range of photos taken when the engineers of product development were measuring up the cruiser, together with anecdotes, facts and fiction of the subject and the agency it served with.
Also a photo composing as per instruction sheet sequence would be available on line together with tips on how to build a perfect model.

For photo's and the original article of the restoration of this unique vehicle click on the link below.
Note: The book "Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler POLICE CARS, 1956-1978" by Edwin Sanow and John Bellah, Motorbooks International was used for reference.
http://www.hemmings...._feature15.html

Tom Sheehy & Luc Janssens

Hmmm, cop cars you say? I'd sure like to see a 1955 Buick Century 2dr sedan (CHP had the only ones Buick built!), the so-called "Broderick Crawford" Buick--the star of the popular mid-50's TV show "Highway Patrol". Of course, a '48 Buick Century Fastback would be neat as well--got many rides to school as a Kindergartner in one of Indiana State Police's Century's--courtesy of ISP Sgt Smiley (one of our neighbors back then).

Art

I own a Ford Police Interceptor (after 2000 Ford stopped using the Crown Victoria name on police package cars) and would love to see a plastic kit of it come out. I've been building as many of the cars I've owned and a P-71 kit would be a great addition for me...

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Edited by Custom Hearse

Luc , you are right on the point with your suggestion for a 1969 Polara A38 !

I am not certain as to why I overlooked that brute in my original post ... it was only the quickest and fastest police car for many years !

Pat , of course an M-Body would be welcomed ! Little known deal regarding the then-newly-redesigned 1980 M-body : it was the last year for the coveted 360 in a passenger car (except out here in good ol' Cali ; we were restricted to a wheezing smog hog 318 four barrel pig ).

How about the ill-fated Dodge St Regis / Plymouth Gran Fury twins (the R-Bodies) ??

It would be great to see the correct air cleaner housing for the Lean Burn equipped models (1976 & later 400's / 440's , et seq.)

1974 Dodge Monaco

I'm not sure any dedicated police vehicle kit would be a great seller, even if it was the Blues Brothers Monaco. Considering all the movie/TV related kits Round2 has and is releasing, I could see them being the company to release a Monaco kit if anyone does, bit that would also require them to tool up a new kit, and would a '74 Dodge Monaco be their best choice?

All of the above.

I'm not sure any dedicated police vehicle kit would be a great seller, even if it was the Blues Brothers Monaco. Considering all the movie/TV related kits Round2 has and is releasing, I could see them being the company to release a Monaco kit if anyone does, bit that would also require them to tool up a new kit, and would a '74 Dodge Monaco be their best choice?

Of course any police vehicle kit would be a great seller, dedicated or not. Every one they've ever produced (except the stupid Revell Z-28 with IMSA fender pontoons, or the off-scale 1/20th Lindberg stuff) has been a worthy inventory item. Look at how popular the Johann '68 Plymouth CONTINUES to be. Look at all the successful re-issues of the '70 Ford, the Caprice kits got off to a relatively slow start, but they've been steady sellers and still pull demand, and look at the continued success of the Lindberg Crown Vics, even though the 1:1 cars were updated just before the kits hit the market. And, you wanna talk about the Revell Impala? Respectable sales for a kit of a car that had a mixed reputation as a 1:1. Now, look at the eager anticipation of the upcoming '57 Ford, and ~ ~ ~ watch the Mustang 5.0 notchback ... can you say 'barn burner'?

Crank out any of the 69-75 Chrysler police cars, the mid-70's Coronets/Satellites, and watch the fireworks. Granted, the 80's LTDs and Caprices/Impalas, the Matadors, the Diplomats/St.Regis/Gran Furys might be so-so sellers, but they'd all still justify their own existences.

I was thinking this before I read your post. If indeed Round 2 gets to the point of new tools, this would be a good candidate. One of the last kits Polar Lights did was the Herbie Love Bug. This kit was magnificent engineering of a kit, molded in color, that could be assembled by a novice with pleasing results or be built detailed or modified by a dedicated model builder. The best of both worlds!

I would expect a kit like the Blues Brothers car to follow that kind of construction, or even be a curbside. The box art and such would be aimed at the TV and Movie Memorabilia crowd, which is a much larger market than we are.

For most of the other police car subjects listed, we're much more likely to see them in diecast. There seems to be a much larger market in the law enforcement community for premade replicas, and custom decal sets so they can have their own agency's cars. And with some of the stuff we've seen lately, the Dodge Diplomat and very odd Chryslers from Fresh Cherries. With the stuff being cranked out by Motormax and Maisto I wouldn't be surprised at anything!

1974 Dodge Moncao

Mid 80's Caprice

Agree. All of these please:)

For most of the other police car subjects listed, we're much more likely to see them in diecast. There seems to be a much larger market in the law enforcement community for premade replicas, and custom decal sets so they can have their own agency's cars. And with some of the stuff we've seen lately, the Dodge Diplomat and very odd Chryslers from Fresh Cherries. With the stuff being cranked out by Motormax and Maisto I wouldn't be surprised at anything!

I do have agree with that, there is a 2011 Charger and the Ford Interceptor in diecast forum already, not to mention the Tahoe's

Maybe the Law Enforcement market is big in the diecast world because thats the only area that is doing current vehicles along with older PPV's, I am willing to bet that the market would be a pretty good size in the plastic world if the model company's would produce more PPV kits,

Edited by martinfan5

The one thing about the diecast police market is that the customizers really DO buy the "kits" by the case-load.

Those guys don't want model kits. They want something they can quickly (dis)assemble, repaint, decal, and move onto the next order.

It would be nice if Revell made the very minor changes needed to morph the Impala SS into a (or BACK into a) 9C1 Caprice since they're on a police car kick this year with the SSP Mustang, reissue of the Expedition with police parts, the co-branding of the '57 Ford (when's the Chevy version - no brainer there), and even the reissue of the '37 Ford last month comes with period "Chicago Police" decals.

Edited by niteowl7710

The 94-6 was technically done. Revell tooled up the 91/92,

then converted the kit to the 94-6 Impala SS.

Classic Metal Works/Testor's has offered a few decal versions of the 99+ Crown-Vic.

Yes I would Like to see Revell return the Caprice Police parts to that kit.

And maybe offer it in more annuals from that era.

Of the others listed,, All but especially the Matador!!

But, How about a 71+ Satellite? Or even 66-67's or 68-69's!!

The Most Popular Police package of the time I do believe.

And Adam-12 used a 67 in the Pilot, 68 First season, 69 second & Third season,

71 four & Fifth seasons, and 73 Matador for the sixth through eighth seasons!!

What about ANY of the Ford Big-Bodies 60-71?? (Mayberry)

And we saw a few 67's & maybe 68's on Dragnet! Also saw a few 67 Dodge Coronets!

Fords were popular in San Francisco through the 80's!!

I would hope for Multiple options in Any new Police kit. Stock, Taxi/Other fleet service, and Multiple

Agency markings!

There was also a resin conversion set for Revell's 94-96 Impala SS to a Caprice cop car. I doubt if that place is still in business though. It came with a trunk lid, grill, hood ornament, and hub caps.