Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT/Model King '72 Chevy Blazer

youpey

Perhaps we can pool our efforts? I have a tailgate that's best kind, other than having the paint stripped from it.

I, too, have a Jimmy glue bomb that I'm trying to restore; the body was horrendously warped. I have a spare Bushwacker Blazer body that I was planning to use, but it has a broken windshield frame. If all the Jimmy-specific chrome and clear parts are still on the Crew Chief's trees, I'll use one of those as a base! B)

May be. I'll have to dig mine out and look it over again. My hood had a huge hole cut out in it that I was in the process of repairing. It was obviously the drag version because it had the injector stacks on the engine. I've seen the kit on ebay. But, I can't recall the name of it. I might could just get another kit and graft on the very front of the GMC hood to a new hood. It's odd that it has so much better lettering than does the pickup. The pickup hood will barely survive a couple of coats of primer. I tried to preserve the letters on my pickup by covering them up on the initial coats of primer. But, when I done my final coats of primer and went over them, I saw right away that they would be gone once I got my color and clear on. So, I sanded them away. Heck, I would be happy with a decal if someone could/would make them.

I hope this version of the Blazer does have the lenses like the MK version did. My only disappointment was the holes in the buckets and the stems on the lenses. But, I can take care of those pretty easily.

Isn't his the kit with five-lug wheels up front and six-lug wheels out back? :blink:

Actually, it has the six lugs up front and five lugs on the rear. :blink: One could drill out the hub detail on an extra set of fronts if they had them and use them on the rear. Good thing I've got a set of scaled down six lug rallies waiting for when the time comes. ;)

Great news!

Model King reissue a few years ago was a hint that this one would be coming.

70's "Boondocker" edition was IMO one of the best version of this kit with those great GM "Feathers" mod bods graphics:

483d62e64cfc6e1eae27680b9b00ec9f_zps28ac

The correct Boondocler decals will be included in the ROund2 reissue. So you can build either way.

Wouldn't it be cool if Round2 gave us the '69-'70 grille?! I was thinking that was the year the "Fire Chief" was to begin with. But, not sure. It's been a long time since I actually laid eyes on one.

From the research I did for my kit history article, the only Blazer issue with the 69-70 grille was this one:

$_57.JPG

I did not know that at some point the Boondocker was planned with the 69-70 grille! And in looking at the box art, it only has the grille; no bowtie on the hood.

From the research I did for my kit history article, the only Blazer issue with the 69-70 grille was this one:

$_57.JPG

I did not know that at some point the Boondocker was planned with the 69-70 grille! And in looking at the box art, it only has the grille; no bowtie on the hood.

Look again. I clearly see a bowtie in the middle of the hood. Notice that it has 76 stickers where the side marker lights would/should be. The other kit I'm thinking that was a '69-'70 was molded in red or orange and called the "Fire Chief". It could have been a '71-'72 or maybe even the GMC. It's been a long time since I've seen one on ebay.

It will be great have this kit out again.I plan ona few.it would be great if Round2 would put all the parts in this kit so we as the builder could choose what we want to build.the last time I built one of these kits was when I was 13 years old.I have a few of these kits in stash, but have plans for them.great info on this kit....thanks.

Chris was talking about the mini Boondocker box that comes with the JL Blazer. The artwork on it does not have the Bowtie like the actual '69 kit.

Ah, OK. That makes sense. I thought he was talking about the boxart in his post. I checked and Modelhaus does make the '69 grille/bumper, rear bumper/tail lights and hood for the pickup. Should be no reason they won't work on the Blazer. No mention of GMC's anywhere in his catalog. Must've been Bandit Resins or perhaps Missing Link that I saw the GMC parts. The next time I talk to Don to order my '69 parts, I'll ask him if he makes the GMC parts also. When I find out for sure, I'll post it.

Edited by plowboy

I checked and Modelhaus does make the '69 grille/bumper, rear bumper/tail lights and hood for the pickup. Should be no reason they won't work on the Blazer.

Unfortunately, the pickup and Blazer/Jimmy parts are not interchangeable. The Blazer is just a tad bigger than the pickup, enough that the grilles and hoods do not interchange without some work. I would take pictures to demonstrate, but I am in Labrador for work and they are at home... -_-

Back to the "Boonedocker" decals. The decals replicate the dealer installed, factory authorized, "feathers" decal package for the real 1972 Blazers. From what I can tell by doing a little web searching, the real 1:1 decals did not come with decals for the rear side windows. And may have had a decal for tailgate not included on the AMT decal sheet. Other than that, it's right on. Chevrolet's ads from the time showed a white Blazer w/white top and the feathers decals. It had drawing of other package available for other Chevy. Plus there was folding brochure showing the available packages, shown below.

post-10661-0-23437100-1414279644_thumb.j

All the photos I can find of the real decal package, show it on either an all white Blazer. Or very light yellow Blazer w/white top. Does anybody know if this package was authorized by Chevrolet to be used with other colors? Like the gold shown on the Boonedocker model kit. What other colors might this decal package look good with?

Scott

Unfortunately, the pickup and Blazer/Jimmy parts are not interchangeable. The Blazer is just a tad bigger than the pickup, enough that the grilles and hoods do not interchange without some work. I would take pictures to demonstrate, but I am in Labrador for work and they are at home... -_-

I'm sure I can make them work. A little extra effort to have something different is always worth it to me. I've done a few conversions. So, making a grille and hood fit correctly will be a walk in the park.

As I recall, Roger, the Blazer and Jimmy grilles can be trimmed down to fit into a pickup, but I think the GMC pickup grille is a tad too small for the opening in the Blazer body. Some shimming might be required. As for the pickup hood fitting the Blazer body, that might be more difficult.