Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to use as base coat ?

What should I use for a base coat under the last three.I know the pagan gold goes over silver or gold.I was told to use flat black under the other three because they are color shift paints.I would also like to see some examples of these paints please.thanks bigtim.2012-10-08132504-1.jpg

Edited by timc

100_1672.jpg

The top of this one is Dorado Dreams, and the bottom is Caribbean Surf. The base was the Kustom Kolor Basecoat Black, which is a gloss black. I don't have a pic of it, but I did do a test of Aquarius Shift on a surfboard from a Surfite kit over black, it has a very striking dark blue/dark green color shift.

Guest G Holding

Please change your title to Kustom Kolor to get correct answers, this is not HOK.

This paint is an unusual "solvent" and is close to an "acrylic enamel" nail polish. Use a lacquer base and you will be OK,duplicolor black gloss

I wouldn't use a Flat Black base for these or any other color shift paints.

Go with a Gloss Black.

Just about anything should work. Even a cheap spray can enamel Black.

These paints contain only a pigment from House Of Kolor and were formulated especially for good adhesion to plastic.

CadillacPat