Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you work with parts box wheels and tires?

Anybody have any secrets to working with parts box wheels and tires?

For example, I have several sets of wheel / tire combos given to me that came off of die cast kits. They use a straight metal bar to connect to the car, but I want to use the normal wheelsbacks plastic kits provide.

Any info and input welcome. Would just like to hear what everyone else does with wheels that don't necessarily fit the kit they're matching them with.

If you don't want to use the metal axle mounts, cut them off and thin the wheel from the backside until it's thin enough to use with the tire and wheel back of your choice. Many die-cast wheels, and some newer plastic kit wheels have a ribbed circumference, making them a bigger paint to modify and use with the usual kit tires, too: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69996#entry866493

There are as many ways to get wheels to work as there are wheels. Some methods I routinely use include gluing styrene tube in the original axle holes, and re-drilling the centers to take the kit axles. Or you can remove the diecast center from the wheel back entirely, and make a new one from styrene sheet. On rear wheels, I'll often glue styrene or steel rod in the centers of wheels so that they will just slip into the rear axles in the right position. There also are many sets of pre-molded wheel-adapters available, often on ebay, specifically made for mating dis-similar parts.

Every situation is different and usually requires thinking through the problem and solving it with whatever you've got.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...