Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can I Play Too?

As some of you know, I've done research for diecast, decal and plastic model companies for some of the early stock car products. In doing so I have accumulated a wide range of photos and info on the early days from some of the participants. The question here is whether or not this photo is a real car or a model.

postoldsBW.jpg

• 12 years later...

I think it's a model. The driver looks a bit one-dimension, and while this car was red, it's too bright in this photo--it looks black in old b&w photos. The lettering looks more like the diecast of this car than the real thing. Finally, the gas filler door was missing on the real car. Nice work if it is, took me some searching to find differences. 

Interesting! A thread from 12 years ago only now gets its first replies.  And Luke passed away some time ago

EDIT- just looked at his profile and he last accessed the board in 2010, so this is indeed the Luke I mentioned.   He was a regular poster on several boards and a big fan of early NASCAR. 

Edited by Tom Geiger