Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

We've seen several threads over the years and we have griped endlessly about those kits that are just notoriously bad. Multi part bodies, interiors that are way too shallow, promo style chassis' that have suspension & exhaust molded in, metal axles through the engine block, lousy body dimensions and just general lousy kit design or molding.

And the really bad part is, 99% of us have at least one stinker in the 'ol stash.

Your challenge if you choose to accept it - break that bad kit out and turn it into something to be double proud of!

The rules!

Start Jan. 1, 2013. Finish before the sun goes super nova.

You may enter this CBP at any time, so long as we see before and after shots at some point.

You have to use a really bad kit as the basis for your build. Now how bad a kit is, is open to opinion and opinions vary, but no one is gonna call you out your choice isn't as bad as others. It's all for fun after all.

It must be a car, truck or motorcycle kit, any scale.

You may build this kit any way you choose.

Fixing a really bad glue bomb qualifies as a bad kit.

Turning a 20 piece snap kit or curbside into a full detail build qualifies.

When you have chosen your kit, post up some pics of it and tell us a little bit about what's so nasty about it.
When you have done so, I will add your name to the roster.

There may be a peoples choice poll after the CBP wraps up, to let our fellow modelers decide who has produced the silk purse from the sows ear.

Please limit your entries to two.

That's about it. Now, go check that stash and pick out a loser to create a winner.

The roster.

1. Nick Winter - AMT '69 T-Bird glue-bomb rebuild
2. A.R.C. - MPC Super Charger
3. Cool Hand - AMT '53 Flip Nose pick-up and Revell '56 Ford Pick-up
4. Jantrix - AMT '67 Pontiac GTO
5. 64SS350 - Chevy Vega glue-bomb rebuild
6. Wrecker388 - Dodge Charger glue-bomb rebuild
7. Road Runner79 - AMT Daytona Charger
8. W-409 - MPC '86 El Camino
9. Shardik - Monogram '39 Chevy Coupe
10. Craig Irwin - Revell '57 Ford Ranchero
11. Dodgefever - Revell '57 Ford Ranchero glue-bomb rebuild
12. Rmvw guy - Monogram '55 Chevy.
13. kc7wzl - AMT '53 Ford Flipnose p/u
14. scaleauto - '60 Ford Starliner glue-bomb rebuild
15. Erik Smith - Arii Porsche 904 gasser (yeah, you read that right)

16. Ron Hamilton - Johan '66 Rambler American glue-bomb rebuild

17. Jason Vandergriff - Revell '57 Chevy hardtop (yeah, THAT kit)

18. Draggon - AMT '61 Ranchero glue-bomb rebuild

19. Gothic Kustomz - Hasegawa '66 Bonneville and '66 DeVille

20. Kennyboy - Revell BRE/Datsun 240Z glue-bomb rebuild

21. Guybrush - MPC '72 GTO

Edited by Jantrix

My official entry into this fiasco. An MPC SuperCharger. The missus bought me a bucketload of models, mostly intact, at a Garage sale a few years ago. This sweetheart was in the pack. It was intact but I have been using it as a parts car for what few decent parts it had. I used the Centerline rims on a Meyers Manx, the tires went into my tire box and the motor is MIA and not missed at all. The body isnt actually that bad but the interior and chassis should be ashamed of themselves. I have no idea what Im going to do to it yet.

Aint it pretty!!

SDC10666-2.jpg

Add me to the roster.

These are the 2 kits ive chose, dont think I need to mention why these are bad kits as im sure everyone knows what they are like.

First up is AMT's 53 Ford flip nose.After seeing what John Teresi done with this kit,It gave me some serious inspiration to have a go at trying to polish this turd of a kit

AMT53Fordpickup_zps011ecd4d.jpg

Have had a plan for this particular kit ever since I bought it.Just never built up the courage to build it due to the quality and contents.

Im hoping I can transform this poor quality kit to look somewhat similar to Tim Allens custom F100.

My Inspiration pics.

TimallenscustomF1002_zps13b04bdb.jpg

TimallenscustomF1003_zps35397e6a.jpg

And Second in line for a transformation.

Revell's 56 ford pick up.

Revell56Fordpickup_zps20e3d41f.jpg

Havent made up my mind as to what direction/style this kit will go.Most probly be another full on custom but with a less radical engine than the above plan's for the AMT kit build

One thing I wanted to mention folks. We are tackling the worst of the worst, so there is gonna be plenty of "where's my hammer!!!" moments for all of us. Lets keep this going with frequent updates and lots of support from everyone.

Think of us as a Modelers Anonymous support group. :)

Oh, and I'm looking for a '67 Charger or Torino fastback roof for this build.

Edited by Jantrix

If it's Okay to everyone, I jump in with MPC Reissued '86 El Camino. There's no single Nightmare-part on that kit, but the overall detail-or lack of overall detail makes me think it qualifies in this CBP quite well. The body is nice, though. I'm planning to build mine as Mild StreetMachine and making some little easy upgrades to the kit, but I've planned not to start cutting and slicing it.

I have started the engine, but once I get more done, I'll post more pics. However, here's the boxart.

product.jpg

The kit I'm using is the Amt Daytona Charger .I hope I don't have to say what 's wrong with it ,but it does have a nice set of Torque Thrusts .

I have updated the roster. Please tell us what is wrong with the kit that way those of us who have the kit yet unopened can know what we are getting into. And we can better appreciate the work your putting in.

I have updated the roster. Please tell us what is wrong with the kit that way those of us who have the kit yet unopened can know what we are getting into. And we can better appreciate the work your putting in.

Ok ,Well it's a General Lee with a nose and wing to glue on. :blink:

I'll get some pictures of what I got this week end.

Edited by Road Runner 79

Okay here we go with the Camino. I started by playing with the wheels and tires. Since it's going to be a Street Machine, I decided to go with my all time favorite wheels: Centerline! I changed the tires too. For the rear, I chose wider Centerlines than regular/most common ones and front wheels are very narrow.

PC240569.jpg

I had to do a little test fit to see that they fit fine.

PC240572.jpg

PC240571.jpg

Then I started the engine. I painted the block and some other parts Tamiya Red and decided to go with Aluminium intake manifold, which is from the kit, too. Even if it's bit flat, I thought it will look good once I install good carburetor and Air Cleaner on it. Weiand valve covers are from the parts box.

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg