Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curious; why are there so few tuner classes at a lot of model shows/contests?

I predominantly build them (along with whatever ELSE I seem to be interested in) but when I go to shows, I rarely see classes for them. I'm back in Ohio now so I'm within driving distance of many shows. Is is because they're not cared for as a genre? Like I said, Just curious. I'm interested in hearing your replies (in a respectful manner of course) B) Thank you. Antonio.

My guess is because the "tuner" cars are predominantly liked/loved by the under 25-30yos... Of which aren't really into building models of them. ?? Our hobby is pretty much dominated by the over 40yos... & like me, aren't into Tuners.

Cheers Cliff

There are so few classes because there are so few entries.

I don't think tuners have ever hit it big with much of the serious modeling groups. Doesn't mean people don't like 4 cylinders or cars with them, just seems people prefer to model other subjects more.

I like many types of cars, but don't build models of them.

I think it's because the nasty old men have chased them away! And I'm serious about that. The discouraging words from the drag car and hot rod only guys about any other style of build...

A bit of history. A few years ago at NNL East we had a Tuner theme. One of 'those guys' thought he was gonna be funny and put a can of tuna fish on tires on the table. He thought that would be the only thing on the table and he'd laugh at us. A funny thing happened. The tables filled up! Like parking in New York City. Young guys came, guys from our tribe who had built late model cars put them on the table. It was so successful that that udder magazine did an editorial about it.

Our next foray was the "Modern Muscle" theme. Again a great category and filled tables. After that got a nice email from a fellow named Victor representing a new club called Diversified Scalerz, a group of younger guys into building modern subjects. He asked if we could have a regular category at NNL East. We talked and agreed to add the first new category at NNL East in 15 years. Why? Because it makes sense. We all complain about how the hobby is dying, and at the same time we don't reach out to the younger modelers who will need to carry the torch when we're gone. We cannot expect them to build our subjects, it's not of their life experience. We need to invite them to display their subjects, their art. So we did.

The Diversified Scalerz have been present at all the East Coast events that I've been to in the past two years. And they also have started their own show. The third one is Saturday, October 25th. We at the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club and NNL East are recommending that everyone reach out and attend this show. These are great guys and the future of the hobby is depending on them!

scalerz-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger

Can't speak for anyone else, but me, I'm heavily into Living In the Past. And that means my car modeling interest lies mainly between about 1964 and 1972. (In airplane modeling, my interest lies pretty much between 1944 and 1967 or so.)

Life is too short to build models of stuff you're not that interested in. B)

I think there's a bit of the classic Catch 22 involved as well. People who build "Tuners" don't show them because there's no place to put them. Show organizers think there's no reason for the category because no one enters those type of models.

There have been some instances recently where people who build these type of cars are entering them into the '69 to Present Street Machine class. Several times they've won which caused the fuddy duddies to howl that the car didn't belong in the class because it was Foreign. The vehicle is a customized late model vehicle set up in an SCCA weekend racer/daily driver style. What class DOES that go into then? It's not Factory/Replica Stock, it's not a full blown Circle Track...

Can't speak for anyone else, but me, I'm heavily into Living In the Past. And that means my car modeling interest lies mainly between about 1964 and 1972.

That's where my interest in modeling lies, as well as music, movies, TV shows, you name it. I wouldn't build a tuner, but I do try to check out the stuff I'm "not interested in" at the shows, whether 1:1 or 1:25. Something usually catches my eye...paint quality, some added detail, overall workmanship. The idea of a "tuner rod" has been rolling around inside my head for some time, but I have a lot more ideas than interest in following through...

I happen to like a well thought out and executed tuner car. Whether it's a model or the real deal. I think the problem with them at shows is that there just aren't enough entries. The last time I attended the Derby City Shootout in '12, they were talking about dropping the rat rod class because of poor participation. I haven't haven't been able to attend since. So, I'm not sure if they dropped it or not. I can understand the thoughts too. Because if you have a class with only two or three entries, it isn't worth really worth having the trophies made if there's no real competition. But, don't let that discourage you from building what you like. If there's no tuner class at a given show, stick them in with the street machines '49 and later. There's no rules that states a street machine has to be a V-8 muscle car and rear wheel drive. The Derby City Shootout doesn't have a pickup class. They only have a light commercial class that requires markings. Guess where the rest go? Into the street machine class. :rolleyes: If your tuner build is nice enough, you may just give the old muscle car guys the sore butt. :lol: Before someone gets the sore butt for that comment, I am one of those old muscle car guys. :P

Please remember the request for respectful answers. For what it is worth I have noticed far fewer "Tuner" type 1:1 cars on the streets around Kansas City. I'm not sure why that is and I'm sure there is many reasons. As for the models that we all love and enjoy, I feel everyone brings something to the table. We all can learn something from one another.

agreed that the 1:1 tuner scene is die'n, whats left seems to have gravitated to the drift world. Most of the guys I know that are into imports would rather have classic muscle but the money isnt there for it so I suspect if they were into plastic thats where the interest would go.

Man I miss the NOPI girls

Im only 35 and Linda Vaughn was far from the hottest one IMO

Agreed. I think there was one named Nikki something or other who was cuter.

Jungle Pam Hardy was hotter than Linda.

But I understand that Linda has a near-photographic memory about the good old days--she is apparently a walking, talking encyclopedia about all that stuff--and she was there. Supposed to be a real nice person, too.

I will agree that most of the people who do models like muscle cars, lead sleds, or 50's-60's cruisers. I drive a lowered Civic daily. I have a CRX prepped for high performance drivers ed and I'm in my late 40's. Do I fall in the punk kids category? I do like me some muscle cars, mainly Mustangs, but almost any nice one will do. My model interests sort of run the gamut, but lean towards European and Japanese cars, muscle cars and a few early 60's sedans. I do think the may be a bit of the good 'ol boy's club exclusion going on in the model car shows. But as others have said, build what interests you and enjoy the ride.

Can't speak for anyone else, but me, I'm heavily into Living In the Past. And that means my car modeling interest lies mainly between about 1964 and 1972.

Life is too short to build models of stuff you're not that interested in. B)

We are probably around the same age. My interest lies in about that same time period. Only I lived outside the US for a good part of my youth since my father was in the US Army. So my shelf not only includes the US cars we all love, but I have a soft spot for all the Euro cars of that era as well. I don't mean the super cars, but the bread and butter VWs and such. Right now I'm working on a Trabant and the ignorant have made comments like, "What a waste of time unless you shove a Hemi in it." I also have caught grief over the years because I build a lot of weathered beaters and light commercial subjects. The hobby has gotten wider over the years and people now accept a wider variety of vehicles. Still, a muscle car build will get more comments than my latest beater, even if my beater is contest quality.

And you're right, life is too short to build stuff you're not interested in. The same applies to the young guys. They have no connection to the cars of our youth. So appreciate what they build and we'll see a lot more participation at our shows!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I think the label "Tuner" might be a tad too generic to have much meaning.

What exactly is a tuner? Well, judging from what I've seen as far as tuner category entries, it can be anything from a factory stock SVT Focus to a Skyline given the full "Dyno Queen" treatment. Obviously the term gets tossed about quite a bit as far as import cars are concerned, but what about a Hennessey Viper, or a Calloway 'Vette? Those are "tuned" by outside "tuning" firms, after all. So depending on how you want to define the term, it might cover quite a bit of ground.

As has been pointed out, many of them could just as well fit into another category. I seem to remember a Mazda RX-7 winning the "Street Machine" class at a big contest several years back. Granted, maybe not as many people are building them these days, but there are still plenty of categories for them, even for lack of a dedicated Tuner class.