Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to run a model company

And yet Round2 proudly asserts that their Lindberg kits are "Made In The USA" . Other than large® scale kits , I don't believe that these will retail for $60 , much less $20 at that .

But , you certainly do have a point :)

AMT's Hindenberg model I recently picked up comes with a "Made in the USA" Lindberg sticker on it. And price is quite reasonable. I'm happy to see some of these kit being produced back here in the good old USofA.

Scott

But they're making the packaging all nice and shiny and new! :/

Right.

All of that work, and they will still never be worth as much as they are trying to charge for them. Some of these kits have been in continuous production. Why even bother?

Because so many of us silverback modelers have feelings of nostalgia when we see those old kits that remind us of our childhoods- when we were younger than you are now, and that was way before you were born. When we weren't so serious about our hobby.

-AND-

Sometimes, one might want a break from the "serious" modeling, where even the heater controls under the dash have to be perfect. Most of the Lindberg kits fit the week- or weekend build slot perfectly. They might not build into contest-winners, but they're good slump-busters and can be just plain old fun to build.

They might be niche kits and they might not sell as many as, say, a 2015 Mustang, Challenger or Corvette would, but they will sell.

Again. Some of these kits have been in continuous production. AND still readily available.

I'm all for a reissue of something that hasn't been out in maybe over 30 or 25 years. But wtf with kits only a few years ago??

For the same reason we see the same actions from Revell and Monogram, et al.

Even junk is a better starting point than nothing at all. This is kind of a "junky" kit I buiit as a tyke, but the sectioned body is nicer than anything else I've seen and looks so good if built well. I'd like to restore it. Low parts count and a bit toy-like, but if it came out again there could be some serious kit bashing (read as "kit blending").

LindbergDevilDrag_zps0d53ba00.jpg

I remember grocery shopping with my Mon on Friday nights, when I was about 8 or 9. There was a stationery store nearby that sold models, including an assortment of 1/32 scale Lindberg kits. They were maybe $.29 or $.49 each and molded in yellow. Yep, I had a lot of fun building them and I have lately considered doing that again, but my sophisticated, 1/25 scale bias modeler complex gets in the way...

you know, there is always SOMETHING of value in a kit of any subject that might be close to someones heart for one reason or another. maybe its the sectioned body. maybe is the oh-so-toylike accessories. maybe its something's simple usefulness as a bad example. so yes there is some merit to the Hawk kits I remember. I mean even those rubber band powered "salt lake" cars reissued some years ago had some potential, though to me their shapes were hopelessly wrong for anything more than ramming into the wall under their own power or planting firecrackers in.

Lindberg was also somewhat in this bag though they did have some exceptions to that rule. one was their box art which made the subject actually look exciting (like the one illustrated above) or even silly (like the dude in the full ebola suit driving the "29" T on some kind of circle dirt track looking setup).

jb

I wouldn't get your hearts set on too many new model kits or re-issued kits as hobby shops around the country have been folding up for years now. So, while we are still getting kits I would be thankful as the light at the end of the tunnel is getting kinda dim.

Because online shopping is where the sales are. Hobby shops are closing for the same reason Best Buy is struggling and Blockbuster is gone. People shop differently than they did 5, 10, 20 years ago.

The light is as bright as it's been for quite a while, there are good new tool kits coming out, great nostalgic kits being reissued, and kits that were butchered over the years being restored to original condition. I'd say we're doing just fine, and there's nothing on the horizon to indicate otherwise.

Frank, you don't get it because you are a youngster!

Tom Lowe and John Gretzula are old modelers who have bought up all this old tooling out of love of the hobby and the past. They know exactly how to market them with historic box art, new improved parts, new printed tires and such. They are tugging at the nostalgic heart strings and they've got a lot of our aging herd buying kits we already have multiples of just to get the new features!

And another thing I found interesting.. as our herd only accounts for maybe 1% of kits sold... I read that the average casual modeler only stays with the hobby a year or two. So if they reissue all the old stuff every two years, it's brand new to the majority of their target market!

Truth. lol Being only 30, I have still seen a good deal of kits being overly reissued. And it's always cool to see some NEW old kit to me. Just not the same old same old same old:/

Even though obviously Frank didn't feel offended by the age comment, I'm sorry but I DO take some offence to it. I'm nearly 39, and have been building for 30 of those years, and I DO get it! I also speak with my wallet, but obviously with some of the constant reissues my wallet doesn't speak loudly enough with NOT buying the same old reissues because they keep coming, especially like what seems like a yearly reissue of junk 78 Trans Ams that I feel weren't even worth the $4 or $5 they cost when they were first released.

Now on the other had, some of the more recent offerings like the 70s era vans, Meyers Manx, and some of the other older kits seeing the light of day for the first time in many years, that has my wallet saying "Shut up and take my money!" Though I'm not much older than Frank, that doesn't mean younger builders don't have a nostalgia factor also, and a good case in point for me at least was seeing the 1/16 scale General Lee hit the shelves a few years ago. That was the first model I ever had, and as soon as I heard the news of it coming back, it was a must have! If I had not lost the original in a house fire, the two would have been displayed together with the new one as an example how skills can improve over the years. I also like the long gone kits for the fact I don't have to pay an arm and a leg and first born for "collector" prices for a kit I really like but just cannot justify paying $100 or more for.

Well, enough of my rambling, but age just should not be a factor.

I agree 110% with you Tom regarding the constantly rehashed and never improved upon re-issues. One would think that the manufacturers would take into consideration some of the Ebay sales result - selling prices and number of bids - on old annuals that seem top hover around the hundred dollar mark. Not everyone in the hobby by any means can afford to spend or justify spending that amount of money on a kit - myself included. I guess that it is all about priorities and what's important but I can't afford it on a regular basis. I also think that the cost of kits tends to keep at least a few younger people out of the hobby. It's supply and demand and I would suggest that just an example, the AMT '67 Fairlane annual or the '67 Galaxie kit could stand to be produced again as they were popular cars back in the day and both, especially the Fairlane, bring some pretty good prices in the 1:1 world today. I'd likely buy a reissue of either or both if they were available at less than the going prices on line and the same could be said for some of the old IMC kits like the '65 Dodge Monaco hardtop. What ever happened to the IMC molds anyways? Does anyone know?

I see the resin industry blossoming with some truly unique offerings of cars, trucks and parts, so obviously there is somewhat of a market for some of this stuff if it was marketed properly. I am impressed that kits are being manufactured in North America and will support Lindberg at the hobby shop and on line before I buy Chinese made kits. I wonder how many of you guys feel/think the same way?

One would think that the manufacturers would take into consideration some of the Ebay sales result - selling prices and number of bids - on old annuals that seem top hover around the hundred dollar mark. Not everyone in the hobby by any means can afford to spend or justify spending that amount of money on a kit - myself included. I guess that it is all about priorities and what's important but I can't afford it on a regular basis. I also think that the cost of kits tends to keep at least a few younger people out of the hobby. It's supply and demand and I would suggest that just an example, the AMT '67 Fairlane annual or the '67 Galaxie kit could stand to be produced again as they were popular cars back in the day....

Didn't the Amt/Ertl 2000ish designed '68 El Camino kit materialize, due to the track record of the '69 annual?

About the '67 Fairlane, that would be a "relatively easy" project, based on the '90s designed '66, hopefully when found interesting enough, they take into account the redesign of the greenhouse too, Oh and make it a GTA just like the one featured in the book by randy Lefffingwell about the former Otis Chandler collection....

Even though obviously Frank didn't feel offended by the age comment, I'm sorry but I DO take some offence to it. I'm nearly 39, and have been building for 30 of those years, and I DO get it!

Hmmm... shorts in a knot! :) What you don't get is that Frank and I know each other so we can poke a bit! If he shows up at the Liars Show tomorrow, may even kid him in person.

And age IS a factor. I'm 56 and I wasn't around in the hobby in the heyday when things like the Double Dragster kits etc were first done. Although I think the kits are cool as all stink, I wasn't there so I don't remember buying that kit new as a 10 year old, and neither do you! At the same time there kits that I remember from my youth, that again predate you. And then there are kits you bought as a kid that you have that reliving history feeling about.