Model Cars Magazine Forum

ancient paint

I was working on a project this evening, digging around for brush paint, and found a jar of Pactra Oxide Orange M9, scale model flat, "a paint for authentic realism"! It's one of those large round jars, approximately the size of Testors brush paints, and it's still GOOD! Looking around a little more, I found a jar of Artillery Olive, and a jar without a label, but I think I remember it being Camouflage Gray. I remember mixing color into it to come up with haze gray (this was 1973 and I was just out of the Navy) for a ship model. I actually think the orange dates from the mid 60s, back when I was attempting those old Revell 1955, 1956. 1957 Chevy models. It's amazing to me that paint this old can still be good--where's Pactra when we need them? Anybody else got any miracles still sitting around?

I had some no name enamel paint in very narrow jars that came with the old Revell/Gowland antique car gift sets(circa 1955) and the last time I checked them(about 2 years ago) some were still good.Now I'll have to dig them out and see if they're still usable. :unsure:

I have two small, square bottles of Pactra- Insignia Red and Mandarin Blue ( I might have the names mixed up) that were part of my Dad's supplies. I don't know how old they are, but I was buying those colors back in '64, and I won't open them- as soon as air gets in, they'll start to dry out.

I've used old model paint on a few builds. I also have some of those small thin bottles described above, and most of mine are still good too. Those were made by Pactra.

This AMT '60 Ford F-100 was painted with really, really old Pactra gloss navy blue in the larger round glass bottles. I thinned with Model Master thinner and sprayed it.

dscn2637.jpg

dscn2638.jpg

The AMT '60 Falcon is Pactra Hot Rod primer. It was in the plastic kinda diamond cut looking bottles from the '70s. Again thinned with Model Master and sprayed. Think I put Model Master satin clear over it so it wouldn't get scuffed.

dscn3097.jpg

Used the old bottle of Testors in the picture on this original-issue (1959) AMT Deuce roadster.

dscn2510.jpg

Edited by Don Sikora II

I have two small, square bottles of Pactra- Insignia Red and Mandarin Blue ( I might have the names mixed up) that were part of my Dad's supplies. I don't know how old they are, but I was buying those colors back in '64, and I won't open them- as soon as air gets in, they'll start to dry out.

It was Mandarin Red - a particular shade that I wish Testors would've found a way to copy.

Insignia Red would've been a flat military color.

I liked a lot of what Pactra had to offer back then.

I always liked Pactra's Radiant Lime.It had a very nice fine gold metalflake in the paint.

Their Blazing Red was a nice color too.It was a little darker than Testors Candy Apple Red.I think it also had a gold metalflake.

Another nice paint was Gold Mist.It was a clear coat with gold metalflake.

I was visiting my uncle in Tennessee and he was a sign painter back in the mid 50s. He has a large gallon can of black lead based sign paint that as long as he seals the top, it's guaranteed to stay fresh. when he puts the lid on, he shakes the can and it seals the lid with lead paint. any paint that is exposed to oxygen will harden and make a lead seal that is impervious to air or any other gas. He told me he bought it in the late 50s and still has half a gallon. (he only uses black for details aperently)

A lot of those early model paint formulas more than likely included lead. The lead gave them better coverage, helped smooth things out a little. These old paints spray well with lacquer thinner.

Edited by Skip

I got an unopened 10 pack of Pactra olive drab in 1991. I think they were from at least the early 70's. I have a 1972 issue of Model Car Science, and the bottles look like one in a b&w photo from the magazine. The bottles have brown lids, and a red and white label. The printing (paint color) on the label looks like it was put on with an old printing machine, as it looks embossed. The needed a lot of stirring, but I used several, gave some away, and still have 2 bottles.

Testor's Bought Pactra Years ago.

So, Anything is possible in getting re-issues of certain colors

from the Pactra line.

Most Pactra brand still ssold now is for Lexan RC body's Not styrene

Pactra produced a Hot Rod Primer in a spray can. It was a real dark gray, almost flat black but not quite. That's one product I would like to see reissued.

I still have several Tamiya glosses, flats, and clears that were bought in the 1983- 1986 era that are still just fine to use. I just give them a quick stir, and brush away.....the pacta line of brush paints were always great quality that seemed to stay useable for a long, long time....wish I still had some old bottles, especially their silver....the ace... :( .

I have come across some old paints from time to time. For me it has been about a 50-50 deal as to being any good. I think it has to do with how well it was sealed when last used, but some of the unopened paints are just like jelly inside.

I don't understand the interest in these ancient paints. I admit a fascination with all things old and have a few very old cans / bottles of paint in my model display case. I believe the spray cans have long gone flat and dry, but they look cool on my shelf with my Old Kustom Kollection.

I've never had an interest in trying to use any on a model today. I can see if we are trying to restore an old model for the museum and need to match the original paint, but beyond that there are so many better options today than old hobby paints.