Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Barron

Modelbuilder Mark

I got the chassis painted, and started piecing it together. The underside is black, and the topside was shot with Metalizer, but it was getting all over the black, so I shot sealer on it, and now it looks more like silver, but still looks ok, just not what I wanted.,

med_gallery_8985_914_190276.jpgmed_gallery_8985_914_46847.jpg

also some work on the Cobra Jet. I have started to mount some carb linkage, wired the distributor but have not yet installed it.

med_gallery_8985_914_67183.jpg

And here is the rear end I will be using. It is from the parts bin, not sure the original source but the plastic was molded in a metallic green.

med_gallery_8985_914_322741.jpg

Really nice details there. Is the generator bracket PE?

Yes Kelly, I have an old photo etch set that has the rubber backing with several choices, but I do not recall the brand. I have had them for 10+ years. There is also a PE linkage bracket that does not show up well in this pic, but will later when I post some more. I hope to get more work done on Tuesday.

The rear end you have is a Halibrand Quick Change 301..Very nice, I wish I could have someone cast these for me. Happy Modeling!

Any idea of the kit source tho? Someone mentioned it may have been the Green Hornet hot rod, but I thought that kit was more simplistic.. I had actually considered making a copy of it before I worked it into this build, but my casting skills are not yet to that level. I have some more very similar tho.

AMT Fiat Double Dragster kit..Also a Revell 22 Jr. kit has it. Those are the only 2 I can think of right now. Happy Modeling!

Thanks! Some folks are really good at remembering what parts came from what kits, I just can not. When I build a kit, I then pull the remainder of the parts and sort them into the appropriate parts box, (chassis, suspension, etc etc), so when I pull a part for use later, not always sure the source. In some cases, I get some from trades etc. That Double Dragster reissue is actually on my list of kits to pick up as there are several other parts I know are in it that I want, just keep putting it off. Thanks Jahmal!

those headers came out awsome !!!!! cant waight to see the engine and body and chassis together

Thanks Man, I got the dip stick in and the motor all but ready to drop into place. Just waiting to get the chassis up on wheels.

Looking good, Mark!!

Eager to see this one progress.

B)

All I have left for the Chassis at this point are to get the right size O rings for the air bags. Already ran the lines for the air tanks, just need to run the rear brake lines and get the seats etc put in. I had a single seat I needed two of, so I started the casting process on that today, same with a rear wheel back that I cut. Easier to make a resin dupe that to cut another exactly the same. My goal was to have this one done by the 20th for the Tucson IPMS show, but not sure yet. Depends on how much time I get at the bench. The body is ready for the pain on the outside, just a few more touches on the inner panels.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have gotten some more work done on this one.

Kinda hard to see from the pics, but I have it set up where the gear shift will actually connect to the transmission. I had one of these seats in the parts box, says Fiat on the bottom, pretty certain is is from the Double Dragster set. I made a resin copy.

med_gallery_8985_914_639022.jpg

I scratch built the compressor and re-purposed the air-tank for the airbags. The rear brake lines are ran, and the electrical wiring started. Most of this will not be seen once the body is in place, so I will be rigging it up so that it will be removable. I have been adding a bunch of Grandt Line and similar bolt head detail.For the front end the brake lines will be ran "in the frame".

med_gallery_8985_914_113635.jpg

med_gallery_8985_914_855196.jpg

med_gallery_8985_914_90245.jpg

Also some fine mesh for the radiator from the Red Barron kit.

med_gallery_8985_914_304017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, test fitting everything before painting up the body. I know most guys remove the center of the roof to see th detail, but I like the top in place for this project. SOo..I have the body set up with retainers in the rear, and there will be "bolts" that hold the front side in place just at the base of the firewall. Hope to be doing final assmeply next weekend if paint goes well.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_8985_914_259175.jpg

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_8985_914_3314.jpg

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_8985_914_130261.jpg

Not sure why these look so dark here, they looked Much lighter on my PC at home, uploading these from work.

awsome !!

looking very good.. I realike what you have going!!

Thanks guys!

I go the red sprayed on the body yesterday, so maybe I will be able to get most of it completed this weekend. Not sure, tho, normally I spray bodies with Lacquer but this time enamel, so there will certainly be some additional drying time. More pics this weekend.